GMPP kit results - real results! - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Send a message via MSN to meldog21
GMPP kit results - real results!

I just completed my GMPP stage kit on my 08 SS turbo. Here are my before and after comparisons, both dyno and road tests.

Keep in mind all dynos read a little different so your results may vary. Road Tests were done on the same roads with another person in the car using a stop watch, so they aren't exactly perfectly scientific in their execution but they are fairly accurate. I did two runs of each test and averaged the two runs.

Cobalt GMPP Stage Kit road test results

6/27/10 0800ish and 7/8/10 1000ish --- Difference
Temp 65-70* / 65*
Gas 5/8 / ĺ --- + 1/8th
Odometer 16181 / 16768 --- + 587 miles
A/C off for all tests

5-60 mph 7.48 (start in 1st gear 1k rpm) / 6.52 --- -.96 sec
30-50 mph 3.74 (start in 2nd gear 2.8k rpm) / 3.24 --- -.50 sec
50-70 mph 4.70 (start in 3rd gear 3k rpm) / 3.98 --- -.72 sec
50-100 mph 18.20 (5th gear roll on) / 16.27 --- -1.93 sec
50-100 mph 10.60 (start in 3rd gear 3k rpm) / 9.60 --- -1.0 sec

Top speed in gears
(just under 200 rpm limit raised with kit)
Except for 3rd and 5th gear, Speeds are as indicated on the speedometer and approximate since I didnít want to run on the rev limit too long

1st 30 mph / 35 mph --- +5 ish
2nd 60 mph / 65 mph --- +5 ish
3rd 98 mph (actual speed on dyno) / 102 mph --- +4 mph
4th 135 mph / 140 mph --- +5 ish
5th 161 mph (actual dyno no road test) / 163 mph --- +2 mph

Dynamometer runs were done at Blacktrax performance in Milpitas, CA which is a tuner shop that does a bunch of cool import and custom work. If you're in the Bay Area I highly recommend them. You can google the name for a link. Dyno runs were done the same day. Before Dyno (stock) in the morning, kit installed mid-day, and Dyno after kit install in the afternoon. Install of GMPP kit was done at Boardwalk Chevrolet in Redwood City. I highly recommend them as well. Both businesses provided excellent service at very reasonable rates. They both were also extremely accommodating with my plan to dyno, install, and dyno on the same day so I could get accurate results.

Before and After Power and Torque. Don't just look at the peak increases. Look at the space between the curves. Off idle horsepower and torque are almost doubled. At some rpms it's 50 hp difference and torque is as much as a 75 lb/ft difference. Look closely at the b***om end. The curve is much less steep now which makes taking off from a stop waaaay easier

Before and After Boost
[IMG][/IMG]

All Numbers Before top of page

All Numbers Before b***om of page
[IMG][/IMG]

All Numbers After top of page
[IMG][/IMG]

All Numbers After b***om of page

So far my impressions are:

1. The car is easier to drive when taking off from a stop because of the increase of power at low rpm combined with the smoother (less steep) power curve from 1500-2300.

2. The car is quicker overall.

3. The slightly raised (180 rpm) rev limit allows approximately 2-5 mph more in each gear.

4. The "Launch Control" feature now actually works. I've only tried this a couple times, but stock if you used launch control (car in competitive mode, at a stop, full thr***le, in 1st gear, car holds at 4700 rpm, drop the clutch and keep it full thr***le) the car would squeal the tires a little, bog down, then take off. Now with the kit installed the car actually has the power to get you going without bogging as it gets traction. It squeals the tires a little and then accelerates more as it gets traction. This is my best effort at real world results and what you can expect by installing the GMPP kit on your 08 or newer SS.

Dog

Ex, or part time motorcycle racer; Moto X, Enduro, Cross Country, Road Racing, and Super Moto. Ex, or part time crew member; motorcycle road racing (AMA), amateur motorcycle road racing (AFM and CCS), Pro car road racing (NASA), amateur car road racing(also NASA). Ex CA motorcycle and ATV instructor. Part time motorcycle trackday instructor. Part time car HPDE instructor. So far, rated 128th out of 56,000+ at local kart track. Trying for top 100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 PM

sweet read thanks for the info bud.
looking forward to getting my stage 1 installed soon would u know 1/4 time with the stage 1?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
nice write up man.

I was beat by RKRamos.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Updated results with comparison

Since I had numbers for the Cobalt, I thought I should compare them with my C5 Z06. I went out this morning and completed the same tests on the same roads with my Z06. As you can guess the Z06 is significantly faster in a straight line. How much faster? Here ya go:

The time comparisons are the difference between the kitted Cobalt SS and my nearly stock C5 Z06.

Dog

Ex, or part time motorcycle racer; Moto X, Enduro, Cross Country, Road Racing, and Super Moto. Ex, or part time crew member; motorcycle road racing (AMA), amateur motorcycle road racing (AFM and CCS), Pro car road racing (NASA), amateur car road racing(also NASA). Ex CA motorcycle and ATV instructor. Part time motorcycle trackday instructor. Part time car HPDE instructor. So far, rated 128th out of 56,000+ at local kart track. Trying for top 100.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 PM

any estimated 1/4 mile time?? also do you have any other upgrades such as intake exhaust etc...
Old 07-11-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobaltSS View Post
any estimated 1/4 mile time?? also do you have any other upgrades such as intake exhaust etc...
For what, the SS or Z06? Stock the SS is supposed to do 14 or 14.1. Stock the Z06 was supposed to do 12.4. My guess is that each car is slightly quicker in their present conditions. When my Z06 was totally bone stock it had 350 hp and torque. Headers, K&N filter, and a tune later - 380 hp and trq.

I'm a road racer, not a drag racer. I don't keep up with the drag racing and street racing. I am aware of the numbers the magazines post which is why I went out and did road testing to go along with the dyno testing of the SS upgrade. The SS is totally stock except for K&N filter and the GMPP upgrade kit.

Dog

Old 07-11-2010, 09:55 PM

well im really interested in the stage 1 for my 2010 cobalt ss. Was just wondering if its worth the 1300 CND upgrade. Is the power that noticable.
IS it better than the Hahn tune that sell for $999
Old 07-11-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Quote:
well im really interested in the stage 1 for my 2010 cobalt ss. Was just wondering if its worth the 1300 CND upgrade. Is the power that noticable.
IS it better than the Hahn tune that sell for $999
It's up to you.

I didn't get the GM tune because I thought it made the most power. I got it because it makes good power and it comes guaranteed, warrantied, and meets CA smog.

Dog

Old 09-18-2010, 11:57 PM

Here are some comparision results. I used the same type of dyno. My car had an *unknown tune..(not GM1) when I got it and the results here show that tune vs an HPT tune over that one for some modest gains. You'll not that the BOOST is LESS than your car and a tad LOWER with the HPT tune vs the *unknown* tune on my car.. Yet HP/Torque #s are greater.
Green Line is *original* unknown tune. Blue Line is HPT Tune.

Boost

As far as performance #s, I got these with a stop watch:
My car 3rd Gear 50-75 MPH 3.8 sec. Note that you have 3.98 Sec, but that's 50-70..5 mi per hr less in range. I figure 1 sec additional for the 5 mph, so you're at about 4.98

My car 3Rd Gear 60-100 MPH 6.4 sec. Note that you have 50-100 9.6 sec, but that's another 10MPH MORE in range..that's *worth* about 2 sec, so I figure your car is about 7.6 60-100MPH.

In general, my car is about 1 sec quicker...whicn makes sence given th HP/Torque differences.
another
Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah. And it's usable power, the kind that counts in daily driving. Pretty much, wherever you are, the power's right there under your right foot ready to go, because it beefs up your power all along the rev band.

Look at the chart in the original post. Now don't look at the highest peak values, look at the areas between the before and after curves. That's your real world gain, and there's lots of it.

I like everything about the kit. It doesn't void the warranty, which means GM has confidence the clutch can handle the extra power it makes. It's quiet. And it's 50-state emissions-compliant.

Well, there's a price for everything. You know how the owner's manual says it's OK to run lower grade gas in a pinch? The dealer told me to run only premium unless I want holes in the tops of my pistons.

My goal is to have a truly enjoyable daily driver, so I'm plenty satisfied with the GMS1 as my only under-hood upgrade.

Last edited by pbass; 10-06-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in