Make SC whine louder w/o CAI or Stage 2! - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Make SC whine louder w/o CAI or Stage 2!

Air Leakage Ports:

The two oval slots on the output plate are air leakage ports. Their only purpose is to decrease operational noise from the blower. Arnie, from Eaton Corp., explains their function like this, "When you stomp on the gas, the boost shoots up and the air flow goes supersonic. The air then slams back into the output plate and through the leakage slots, which reduces the hammering of the air into the housing causing less noise. The OEM can not have such loud NVH, that’s why we put them in the housing. The 2 small ports are not there to feed air, only to reduce noise." Basically, for the best flow and most efficiency, these ports can be blocked off, making the outlet port (triangle slot) the only port on the outlet plate of the housing. Closing these ports will not increase IAT's; however, it will make the supercharger much louder when in boost. As an example, aftermarket supercharger companies, such as Harrop, Roush and Magnuson do not use these slots in their blowers. It should be re-stated, that you should consult professionals regarding closing these ports; and do not, for any reason, plug them with JB Weld. Improper closure could eventually lead to pieces coming apart and loose debris destroying the rotors and housing. Opening up these ports will only have a negative effect on efficiency. Do not port them.

So has anyone done this? I am going to do it, but would like to hear some feedback, I have stage 2 and a CAI and want to make the whine even louder.

Pics!

Thoughts, suggestions, pictures?

Information taken from
http://www.chevycobaltforum.com/foru...ers-noobs-969/

Last edited by sportcarmn; 03-08-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Pictures Added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

a little more Q and A on the subject

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-2-li...off-eaton.html
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Well i decided to do this as my evening project, if anyone else wants to do it and has questions let me know! I will post up tomorrow night how much of a sound difference there is, but the epoxy needs to cure so no driving until after 3pm tomorrow

Last edited by sportcarmn; 03-08-2011 at 11:24 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:07 PM

Garage
All you have to do is buy a $30 air cone and do the air box mod and your SC will whine significantly louder.... Here's my write up!

https://www.cobaltss.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11768

Any questions about the Balt, all answered here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode