New Member Questions - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

New Member Questions

Hi there.
We are getting a second car that needs to be relatively inexpensive but still capable of not being a POS. I have seen some Cobalt SS on the highway and they look interesting and look to have some decent power abilities.

I currently have a stage 3 modified Volvo V70 (300hp/325ft/lbs). I am familiar with performance mods and want something that can be easily modded to draw out some extra ponies.

Is the Cobalt SS a good car to do this with?
Is there a 4 door version (baby seats)?
Is there a year I should avoid?
Any recalls I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes the cobalt ss came in a 4 door version with the turbo modles.. With simple bolt on and tune you would be over 300hp. As of the year 05-07 were supercharged with 205hp and 8,9,10 were turbod with 260hp As of a year to avoid, I would say an 08 just because thats when they found all the glitches but the 09 and up were good. I think the only recall i have seen was the steering pump. But they should take care of that before you even get the car.

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Contributing User

Garage
^^^ what he said. the only other issues known to the ss would be rotors scoring (ive had mine for almost a year no issue there yet but then again dont put alot of miles on it). ummmm some people have issues with the ebrake sticking. and having to adjust it . other than that thats the only ones ive really heard of that has more than a few people with the issue. but then again what car doesnt have its issues. im happy with my car. as in 80% of the poeple that buy an ss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35% tint sides and rear
GM Sport pedals

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Interesting that the Volvo ebrake sticks too, so much that I slackened it off all the way and don't use it.

will take a look at some 09s.
Any suggestions on good tuning companies, Downpipes?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Iam a hahns guy. have pretty much everything they have besides there intercooler. Which i think is overpriceded. look at turbotechracing.com they have everything you need for the cobalt.

A good tune: its all up to you. I know alot of people have the Trifecta tune, which i hurd is pretty good. But then you have the dejon tune. superchips and you can get a dyno tune.

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Contributing User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoal*boy View Post
Iam a hahns guy. have pretty much everything they have besides there intercooler. Which i think is overpriceded. look at turbotechracing.com they have everything you need for the cobalt.

A good tune: its all up to you. I know alot of people have the Trifecta tune, which i hurd is pretty good. But then you have the dejon tune. superchips and you can get a dyno tune.
wheres those pedals mr.

to thread starter make sure to get them gm sport pedals! 5hp per pedal im tellin u!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35% tint sides and rear
GM Sport pedals
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Welcome to the site! The cobalt SS/TC's are great cars with lots of potential! As said above 300 WHP is easily attained with simple bolt on's and a tune. Many people chose Trifecta. Vince is a very good reliable tuner. Another option is HP tuners. They just unlocked the fuel and waste gate tables for the LNF a few days ago. Many people were doing a combination of Trifecta with an HP tune on top of that to really fine tune.

As far as bolt on's K&N is really the only intake that i would run on the SS/TC. Charge piping, down pipes and exhaust are really just a matter of preference. Hahn and ZZP make EXCELLENT products for the cobalt.

We are a dealer for Hahn, ZZP, K&N, Magnaflow and many more. Many items have not been listed on our site yet, but we have them available. Feel free to call, PM or email us if you have any questions, or for special pricing.

Kind regards,

Tyler
JDP Motorsports

Tyler

|
| 888.308.6007 |
Featured Products | Magnaflow | K&N | Pedders | ZZP | Hahn Racecraft | Hurst

Follow JDP Motorsports for NEW Releases and Special Promotions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode