2.2L aftermarket turbo kit benefits? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

2.2L aftermarket turbo kit benefits?

Hey guys I'm new here so be nice...

Here is the deal I pick up an 2006 Cobalt LS with the 2.2L, the 5 speed Gertrag tranny. I got the car cheap ($1500) because it was running rough, after a a compression test that read 0 psi on number 4 cylinder I pulled the head and found a burnt valve, thats been 5,000 miles ago. I've wanting to add a mild turbo to the car to help me with fuel economy...not looking for 400HP just more than stock.
My question is would the turbo help fuel mieage noticeably? the car averages 32-36 mpg on the highway would a turbo increase that? I drive the car everyday and it makes cross country trips very often so I want a relaible turbo. Is there a kit that I could install and have any of you used them?

Thanks, Caleb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
i wouldnt suggest a turbo to help with MPG's. maybe if you had a big V8 or disel or somehting like that. but look how a turbo works. it runs off the exhaust. so you will have to give it more gas in order to make boost. More gas less MPG

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 PM

You can get MPG tunes but this will lower HP. It's either or in the world of vehicles. Go fast or go efficiently. I don't even know any turbo kits that are small like you're talking about. Most are for people trying to boost their car pretty good. A good CAI or airbox mod would maybe help. More air=equals less fuel.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Contributing User

Garage
agreed, first chance i get im putting a new air intake and new exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods To Come
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Blacked Out Rear Windows
- Halo Headlights/LED Tail Lights
- Intake, Header, Downpipe, Catback
- Supercharger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode