Intermittent Lean Code Issue - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Intermittent Lean Code Issue

I bought a ZZP stage two kit and ever since I've install the kit I've been getting intermittent lean codes. The MIL would come on during Idle, down shifting, stop and go traffic, or cruising at 50KM/h. some days it will never come on but some other days it will. ive checked and rechecked all my connections, I lubed the injector O-rings during installation. The car is currently uninsured til next month. Ill be putting a new fuel filter in, in case the current one is starting to clog (its 20$ for a new one at my cost and I can install myself) and also be cleaning the MAF sensor.

The mods on my car are of the following.

-Vibrant headers and downpipe (cat included)
-Magnaflow catback
-Ingalls Torque Dampener
-Upgraded dual pass inter-cooler kit from ZZP
-ZZP Stage 2 Kit 50# Seimen Injectors, 3.0" pulley and NGK spark plugs .035"
-K&N intake

I contacted ZZP and informed them about my situation. Got absolutely no help. They just told me that common problems are faulty o2 sensors or a skewed MAF sensor installation. Then i replied to them telling them there's no o2 sensor codes and the MAF sensor wasn't tampered with during the installation. I asked them if it could be a improperly tuned ECU and they said it could need some tweaking and that i should come and see them to dyno it. I live near Vancouver BC and there in Wyoming, MI.(not going to happen) then they also said that running lean was safer than running rich (really??. No) I have no issues with ZZP or do i wish to give them a bad name. Just want me issue to be dealt with. so any needed information would be great or if someone is having the same issue, tell me about yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 10:31 AM

Garage
So my question to you is, after all these mods, have you even tuned your Balt?? If not, the reason you are running lean is because you have a smaller pulley, your ECU thinks it is still running on a stock so it doesn't deliver enough fuel and runs lean. EVEN if you have injectors. Just a question.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

My ECU was pre-tuned by ZZP for using the 50# Injectors and the 3" pulley. thanks for replying

Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I will be getting my A/F Gauge hooked up ASAP when i get my Balt back on the road. I purchased an Innovate gauge so i can MAP my AF mixtures on a laptop and then continue from there
Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Garage
^^

Ok, yeah, the AFR gauge was what I was going to recommend too. There has to be a tuning issue somewhere OR, one of the injectors is not giving enough fuel. Best to test it while driving. Hope you get it.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Update: I sent my PCM back to ZZP. told them again about the issue and they said they'd richen up the tune under warranty. hopefully this resolves the issue. i should be getting it back by the end of next week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in