Cobalts SS banner

Check engine light going on?

10K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  xCobalt05x 
#1 ·
Ok so i just installed a high performance filter on my 06 Cobalt SS/SC and the check engine light went on a couple hours later. I also didnt put the cover peice that goes under the stock filter back on when i installed the high perfromance air filter. Is this bad and will it affect the whine it makes if i put it back on? Can anyone help with the check engine light on as well?

#2 ·
just get use to it till u get a reflash. its not hurting anything, so long as u dont go sit in a puddle :rolleyes:

rocco11189 said:
Ok so i just installed a high performance filter on my 06 Cobalt SS/SC and the check engine light went on a couple hours later. I also didnt put the cover peice that goes under the stock filter back on when i installed the high perfromance air filter. Is this bad and will it affect the whine it makes if i put it back on? Can anyone help with the check engine light on as well?

#4 ·
no thats just the slowness of all of the stock ss's. get a pulley and u wont notice that anymore. or it could possibly be ur clutch.

#7 ·
Remove the battary termanal for about 10 minutes and try it out your getting more air so it confusees the cpu to not suck as much air once you unhook the term and rehook all the back logs in the cpu reset so that it thinks the new incoming air is right also the lag is because the plugs in these cars aren't made for a electronic throttle body go to advanced or some where and buy NGK Iridium Ix Plugs and then after you get them in watch how fast your car revs and how much better the acceleration is.

#8 ·
rocco11189 said:
Now your sure because that never happened before because even at top gear the car is still hesitating when in neutral you rev the gas it hesitates then goes up i hope this isnt due to the filter?
put the stock stuff back on and go to the dealer and have them check your codes for the crank positoin sensor. Right now that sensor is the most common problem according to the dealer near me.

#10 ·
Its clamped on with the clamp that goes around the top of the filter we tightened it as much as possible but whats the crank position sensor and my friend drove my car and said there is nothing wrong with it because he had done the same to his car as well.

#11 ·
Crankshaft or Camshaft Position Sensor/CPS
Monitors the rotation of the engine and tells the computer exactly when to trigger the fuel injectors or the ignition spark.

#16 ·
Crap! I post in this thread and what do you know? I get a CEL with "Engine Power Reduced" today. I let it sit for 15 minutes, started it back up, wouldn't even barely idle, stalled if I tried to move. Let it sit for another 45 minutes, same thing. It sounds like it's only running on 1 cylinder. Got it towed to the nearest dealer, will be bugging them all day tommorrow to find out what's going on.

It's been idling a little rough, and lately when the engine is cold, it takes up to 5 seconds of cranking before it finally starts. I'm thinking my problem might be like xCobalt05x said, the crankshaft position sensor.

#19 ·
I've had an Injen CAI on since Feb., no CEL's ever with it. I've got stage 2 (since April) and put a 2.8" on a couple weeks ago. None of those should be causing me problems. I haven't seen my A/F ratios with the 2.8 yet, but I haven't gotten a lean code and others who have dyno'd with the 2.8 and stage 2 say it stays in the 12's, so the stage 2 tuning should be fine.

#21 ·
mken said:
Crap! I post in this thread and what do you know? I get a CEL with "Engine Power Reduced" today. I let it sit for 15 minutes, started it back up, wouldn't even barely idle, stalled if I tried to move. Let it sit for another 45 minutes, same thing. It sounds like it's only running on 1 cylinder. Got it towed to the nearest dealer, will be bugging them all day tommorrow to find out what's going on.

It's been idling a little rough, and lately when the engine is cold, it takes up to 5 seconds of cranking before it finally starts. I'm thinking my problem might be like xCobalt05x said, the crankshaft position sensor.
uh oh somebodys experiencing the short-commings of GM's stage kits. if you will, please go over to problems and dealer service and read "mystery balt". you will find your explanation to your issues over there. :D

#23 ·
Yeah, they get a little tempermental when you beat on them.

#25 ·
No, by all means, buy it. Just be prepared for some little glitches along the way. Nothing major, and the first time you take the car to 110 in third gear, its all worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.