Cobalts SS banner

victory_red_SS RWD conversion pics....

75K views 172 replies 38 participants last post by  victory_red_SS 
#1 ·
Thought I would post up some of the RWD conversion pics. We are far from done but closer than I was.

See less See more
#3 ·
wow this is an amazing project good luck with and it looks really awesome...

#12 ·
More about my project

Here are some more components of my project.

Powering my engine are these two lovely snails. The larger is the GT-45 and the smaller is the GT-28.

I have two different set of custom rods, one from Macias Racing and 2 sets from Pauter Machine. I am actually building two engines so that I have a spare.

The following picture is the initial design for my turbo header. We are waiting for the chassis and engine placement to be finallized before the rest of the header is to be done.

This is one of two Turbo Switching Valves, which will be used in the sequential turbo setup. The white cotton looking material is aerospace grade insulator which withstands temperatures in excess of 1,000*s.

This unit is a totally custom Boost Swithcing Unit that will operate the aerospace transducer and turbo switching valves.

The following pictures are some parts that have come back from being coated.
The pistons received better than a ceramic coating, they received a zircon-ceramic coat, which is similar to diamond dust, and the piston skirts received the anti-scuffing coating. The valves all got the zircon ceramic coat, as did the intake, exhaust runners and the combustion chambers of the cylinder head.
The shiny coating on the valve cover, front cover and the sides of the head is an Aluminum flake coating, which in person is supposed to be even shinier and cooler than the pictures show. The engine block is still being done and we should have that back next week. This aluminum flake coating is supposed to be superior to powder coating as it is impervious to the elements. If oil gets on the engine, I have no idea how that would happen, it is just a matter of dish soap, water and a tooth brush to clean it up. Degreaser is a no-no.
If you look at the picture with the pistons next the head, you can compare the polished piston to the new coating.

Here are some of my parts to help with cooling. The ribbed tubes are the equivalant of Laminova tubes. The Meziere water pump is one of two we will be using. One for the intercooler and the other in place of the stock water pump. In addition to those parts we are using a customized "Supercooler" that will produce 800 watts of cooling power.

Meziere water pump

Supercooler

Bully Clutch has come aboard as a sponsor and will be supplying me with clutches. This clutch will allow for street driving but I will need to adjust my driving style when in traffic.

A.R.E. Dry Sump Kit

SFI Approved McLeod Bell-housing

Here are my custom billet cams. The custom grind was done by Bates Engineering. The specs are
INT 221° @ 0.050" - 275 LL, max. lift 467.0"Vlift @ 1.7:1 - Config Stock Centerline 10° Retard Cam Timing Intake
EXT 221° @ 0.050" - 275 LL, max. lift 467.0"Vlift @ 1.7:1 - Config Stock Centerline 6° Retard Cam Timing Intake

These are the cylinder sleeves we are using , also from Bates Engineering.

#13 ·
Stainless Steel Brake Company were the only ones who were able to supply us with the big brakes needed that would fit behind a 15" wheel for my slicks.

These are the custom seats for the car but I will be changing the suede in favor of leather.

The car will be street driven but will need to be setup for the track which means swapping out the Pro Street carrier and axels to a strictly drag racing set. Once this is done the car will be trailered to the track in my matching trailer.

#19 ·
We will know tomorrow what we are doing about the crankshaft.
At the very least, we will order the 2.2 crank/pistons/rods/wrist pins/rings from the 1400hp Ecotec Build and get the first engine built.
I will also be having it out with conversion shop, letting them know how thoroughly pissed off I am about the lack of progress on my car.
The only one who has been keeping their end of the deal is JBP, all the other shops are getting an earful tomorrow.

#22 ·
red, the alum powder spray, my brothe has a machine shop, er i dunno what all he does, but i had him spray my sway bar witha alum/tungsten coating that is impervious to corrosion and rock impacts. some spray welding /plasma thingy weldy stuff. lawl. i just make his signage, he does the rest. heh. he is setting up for ceramic shortly, and other stuff, so im gettign in line for exh spraying. he coating oilfield tooling and such, i think. it is so neatto misquitto.

ps. red, i finally got my quaife. heavy little box, aint it.

#23 ·
red, the alum powder spray, my brothe has a machine shop, er i dunno what all he does, but i had him spray my sway bar witha alum/tungsten coating that is impervious to corrosion and rock impacts. some spray welding /plasma thingy weldy stuff. lawl. i just make his signage, he does the rest. heh. he is setting up for ceramic shortly, and other stuff, so im gettign in line for exh spraying. he coating oilfield tooling and such, i think. it is so neatto misquitto.

ps. red, i finally got my quaife. heavy little box, aint it.
That coating's only draw back is it has an orange peel finish but it is shiny and as you mentioned impervious to almost everything.

The Quaife is a heavy unit. It isn't cheap to have installed either. Glad you finally got one. Did you get a good deal on it?

#24 ·
ther spray is "cats tongue" and glittery, and yes, i bought it new for 985 cdn.
i also have axles, meth, N2o, guages, mounts, option B dual pass, camber kit, adn i dont know what all else. a whole 3'x8' table of crap sits beside my car on the hoist. now....if only i had a lil time.....exedy, quaife. lol i cant rmember it all. and i have a 2.8, 60's, corsa, gmpp exh, and HPT. i need slicks now. sad thing is, i have all the money waiting, its just time, and the ambition to get the reast lined up. car sits again for the winter with 14000 kms

#26 ·
Well by winters end I would expect you to be finished getting all those parts installed. :)

oph, the dealer said 7 hrs to install the exedy, and 4 hours more to swap the diff. i think thats a low estimate. im taking it in before i get the majority of ghoodies on it as last time i was in there for an alignment, they took it out on a 65KM "test drive".
after which, the dealer owner asked me to sell the car back to them....
The dealer took 7 hours to install the quaife into my tranny. Too bad I never got to use it and all that $$ was wasted.

#25 ·
oph, the dealer said 7 hrs to install the exedy, and 4 hours more to swap the diff. i think thats a low estimate. im taking it in before i get the majority of ghoodies on it as last time i was in there for an alignment, they took it out on a 65KM "test drive".
after which, the dealer owner asked me to sell the car back to them....

#27 ·
um red, i had half those parts in june. every goddam time i pull my car onto the hoist, 10 customers phone and i get sidetracked with work. and the dybo shop across the street, i sold all kinds of pulls for him, and he dried up and got his dyno locked up for not paying rent. now im without base tuninng.
the good side of that is in 4 more months, it will be abandonment. and the mustang AWD dyno will go up for sale. i told the guy id buy iot if it was for a song.....wouldnt that be a great supporting mod. my personal dyno. ha.

#28 ·
um red, i had half those parts in june. every goddam time i pull my car onto the hoist, 10 customers phone and i get sidetracked with work. and the dybo shop across the street, i sold all kinds of pulls for him, and he dried up and got his dyno locked up for not paying rent. now im without base tuninng.
the good side of that is in 4 more months, it will be abandonment. and the mustang AWD dyno will go up for sale. i told the guy id buy iot if it was for a song.....wouldnt that be a great supporting mod. my personal dyno. ha.
Now you are just trying to make a grown man cry:p

#31 ·
should, being the operative word?

personally i woulda choked someone by now.
i hate liars and thieves. sounds like you have been dealing with versions of both.
That is correct.

I have checked out Lopez Crankshafts and there are a few people who have everything good to say about them.

Now that a crankshaft is actually at their shop I feel much better.

As for the liars and thieves, I have had more than one project should have.

#34 · (Edited)
shes just mad cause she will get half of less. har.

j/k red. ive always had an issue paying ppl to do a custom job without guidelines and restrictions. i have to quote on govt jobs, and a standard stipulation is paycuts if not completed on schedule. i know that isnt possible wityh you reinventing the wheel, and if it was they would want your right AND left nut, to promise such a thing.
i just so wanna gwet pwned by you at the track this year. for your sake.

#35 · (Edited)
I have gotten a $1200. reduction on the second crankshaft because of the delays, which only means something if I get two working crankshafts.

My wife is a great woman and she says I work until I put every penny back.

And "if" the cranks now happen soon, I will definitely be at your local track for 1 or 2 weekends this summer.

#39 ·
Then come to one of ours ;):p
behind every racer or car buff is a good woman?
heh, maybe not every single time. mine says i have to work more to pay for all this useless car crap. lawl. but still lets me order it all.
Wifes are great.

Mine used to ask me "how much did that cost?"

I told her "I will tell you but you don't really want to know"

Now she starts to ask the question and looks at me and says "I really don't want to know do I?"

I love my wife, even though when the final bills are in:eek: , she is going to kill me. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.