Cobalts SS banner

Make And install lower grill to protect Condenser

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  16sy16 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has designed and installed a lower Grill to protect the condenser from stones.
I notice mine is already getting the fins dented from road debris etc.
I dont know about anyone else but it was one of the things I asked the dealer when looking at the car(where is it ? ),It does look good open but that condenser is a expensive part to replace.

Would like to hear from some one else on the subject because I am going to give it a go ,it doesn't look to hard to make one out of that expanded metal they sell at the preformance shop.(approx $25.00 for a 1' x 4' )

#4 ·
cavingman said:
i did too, picture here...
http://pictures.lsjowners.com/thumbnails.php?album=56
its black so its hard to see, gets the job done though, spent maybe 20 bucks.
Nice pics ,Like the way the grill turned out.
Going to try it on the weekend but wat did you use to glue it ,epoxy,silicone or what.
Do you find the paint lasts .I was thinking of using that stone guard stuff but dont know if the stuff will stick to aluminum.

#6 · (Edited)
Just a tip, but the easiest way to get a grill for the lower opening in the SS/SC bumper is to go to Lowe's or Home Depot, buy Gutter Guard, and flatten it. It looks exactly like the $25-$40 mesh kits and is only $6. Just so happens that it comes in a pack of 5 or 6 pieces and on piece will fit the bumper opening perfectly. Looks good in black if I may suggest.

#7 ·
Whats the gutter guard made of ?

Wickedss2005 said:
Just a tip, but the easiest way to get a grill for the lower opening in the SS/SC bumper is to go to Lowe's or Home Depot, but Gutter Guard, and flatten it. It looks exactly like the $25-$40 mesh kits and is only $6. Just so happens that it comes in a pack of 5 or 6 pieces and on piece will fit the bumper opening perfectly. Looks good in black if I may suggest.
Sound Like a plan I will check it out.

#9 ·
Wickedss2005 said:
Just a tip, but the easiest way to get a grill for the lower opening in the SS/SC bumper is to go to Lowe's or Home Depot, but Gutter Guard, and flatten it. It looks exactly like the $25-$40 mesh kits and is only $6. Just so happens that it comes in a pack of 5 or 6 pieces and on piece will fit the bumper opening perfectly. Looks good in black if I may suggest.
That's exactly what I did. :D

Gutter Guards FTW!!

#10 ·
Got the grill installed and I say I really like it .
I feel better knowing that I have some protection there now and the fitting was quite easy.Secured it with silicone adhesive so I can easily get it out if I have to replace or repaint it.
The grill from a distance is invisable painted flat black and still looks stock driving by.

Thanks for the Info guys !!!

#11 ·
Your welcome guys, glad to hear you all like it. Yea, black looks awesome cause it's there, but yet inconspicuous.

BTW...I'm sorry I didn't post how I mounted it. I zip tied it to the clips on the bumpers. Two on the top and the four on the bottom. Although that silicone idea sounds good too.

#14 ·
I think I am going to give the gutter guard a try this weekend, will keep you all informed of how it turns out.

What would be the most secure way to mount? Wicked mentioned zip ties, but does that really hold it on securely?

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.