New Member Introduction - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Cool New Member Introduction

Hello, My name is Rodney and I drive a 2007 Cobalt SS (black/red). I am not a mechanic and I don't know the type of supercharger that's in my car or anything. I just like the car and it's fun to drive. I also ride a 2001 Kawaski ZX9R Ninja sportbike (red/black). I like fast vehicles.

I am an Air Force veteran (and so is my wife) and I live in Mississippi.

I bought my Cobalt in March of this year and it had 96K miles. Last week I took it to a dealership to get a fuel problem (recall issue) resolved. When I got to the dealership, the rubber boot on the discharge side of my supercharger ruptured and white smoke went everywhere and oil started leaking on the service driveway (a little more than a teaspoon in a palm-sized cluster on the ground).

Yesterday I went to the dealership and I saw the tear in the boot and there was oil inside the boot and it had some yellow streaks in the oil. The service rep said that the tear caused Blow-By (whatever that is).

The car has always had black smoke coming out of the tail pipe (since I have owned it) and now I am at about 104K miles. I drive 12 miles to work and 12 back home every day. The service rep told me that there is something seriously wrong with car, inside the engine, because it's burning oil pretty badly. Again, I am not sure what is going on. The rep said: "We won't know exactly what's going on until we open up the engine and look inside. But something major is going on inside your engine to cause it to burn oil like that." I plan on picking my car up tomorrow and bringing it home. May I ask this though, should there be oil in the rubber boot coming from the supercharger at all? Maybe that is another problem that I also need to address, I don't know. And, does any of this sound normal for my car?

Thanks for letting me join the forum and I hope to learn a lot about my car and maybe even share some things that may help someone else.

Have a good day,

Rodney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 03:20 AM
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Welcome to the forum, Rodney! Nice to have you here. Pictures of your car are always good when a new person joins us. This forum really is a ton of help. With a little bit of research you can find an answer to all your questions. Enjoy your time here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chevy Cobalt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 |
|
|
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Contributing User

Hey, I am in the New Orleans area! Nice to see a somewhat local Delta!!

A bit of oil is normal, not to sure about the yellow streaks though. That doesn't sound good at all. Unless the needle bearing on the blower went bad, and causing supercharger oil to leak.

Honestly, sounds like the ringlands on the pistons are shot, hence why its blowing black smoke.

If you don't want to pay for the cost of a new engine, let me know, I may be interested in buying the car from you (depending on how far you are, as well)

Billy
Louisiana
2003 Saturn Ion-1
2006 Saturn Ion Redline

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Contributing User

Hello Rodney! Welcome to the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode