Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums (https://www.cobaltss.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.cobaltss.com/forums/2-general-discussion/)
-   -   New guy... I have questions too (https://www.cobaltss.com/forums/2-general-discussion/7300-new-guy-i-have-questions-too.html)

blackgloves 03-14-2007 07:47 PM

New guy... I have questions too

Hi! I dont own a Cobalt but Im looking and wanting one badly. Im not new to the car scene but new to "tuner" or front wheel driven cars I guess you could say.

Ive owned and modified F-bodies for many years. Love my Z28's and still own one, but again... Im looking in the direction of the Cobalt SS Supercharged

Questions:

1. Anyone know what rebates are available for these cars right now?
2. What is the single most (best) mod for this car?
3. Pros and cons about the Cobalt SS supercharged

wasey13 03-14-2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackgloves (Post 115904)
Hi! I dont own a Cobalt but Im looking and wanting one badly. Im not new to the car scene but new to "tuner" or front wheel driven cars I guess you could say.

Ive owned and modified F-bodies for many years. Love my Z28's and still own one, but again... Im looking in the direction of the Cobalt SS Supercharged

Questions:

1. Anyone know what rebates are available for these cars right now?
2. What is the single most (best) mod for this car?
3. Pros and cons about the Cobalt SS supercharged

1. Sorry can't help you there.
2. Turbo
3. 3rd quickest sport compact in the price segment *currently*, good GM warranty(not that you care:D ), crappy stock clutch and axles, nice interior and sound system, great handling for FWD, quality issues, sharp looking car.

Honestly if I didn't buy my STI, I would have bought an SS/SC. NOW though I would almost definently go with the Mazdaspeed 3.

joedashow 03-14-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasey13 (Post 115920)
1. Sorry can't help you there.
2. Turbo
3. 3rd quickest sport compact in the price segment *currently*, good GM warranty(not that you care:D ), crappy stock clutch and axles, nice interior and sound system, great handling for FWD, quality issues, sharp looking car.

Honestly if I didn't buy my STI, I would have bought an SS/SC. NOW though I would almost definently go with the Mazdaspeed 3.

I think I would, too. In retrospect, I wish I had something with four doors. It's got more power, but with the added weight, it's about the same acceleration time as an SS/SC. I don't know whether or not it handles well. It's also a lot more refined; you can get xenon lights and a nav system on it, fer crying out loud!

wasey13 03-14-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedashow (Post 115927)
I think I would, too. In retrospect, I wish I had something with four doors. It's got more power, but with the added weight, it's about the same acceleration time as an SS/SC. I don't know whether or not it handles well. It's also a lot more refined; you can get xenon lights and a nav system on it, fer crying out loud!

I think they have dipped into 13.7s already stock, not 100% sure though. I like them a lot.

joedashow 03-14-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasey13 (Post 115932)
I think they have dipped into 13.7s already stock, not 100% sure though. I like them a lot.

Damn, so they're actually faster... :(

And are they FWD or AWD?

wasey13 03-14-2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedashow (Post 115937)
Damn, so they're actually faster... :(

And are they FWD or AWD?

Mazdaspeed 3 = FWD

Mazdaspeed 6 = AWD

joedashow 03-14-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasey13 (Post 115949)
Mazdaspeed 3 = FWD

Mazdaspeed 6 = AWD

Yea, I keep getting them mixed up for whatever reason.

suprchged 03-16-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedashow (Post 115956)
Yea, I keep getting them mixed up for whatever reason.

Ok i test drove a Mazdaspeed3 for almost 1 1/2 hours. It was an awesome car to say the least but when i left the dealership after trying to make an unsuccessful trade. They actually done me a favor i like my cobalt alot better. It had plenty of torque but ran out of steam quickly (which i heard was solved by a cold air) in the upper revs but you better hold on from 3000-5800. The only thing that killed it was that it was heavy and the hatch like body killed it in the corners but for a flat out everyday car with awesome potential it is #1. Wasey I truly dont know what you are smoking but the Speed3 and SS/SC stock for stock the mazda goes 0-60 faster but we beat them by .1 in the quarter so they are very close. It would def put up a fight in a roll or dig and may beat the ss/sc. To answer the first post Pros for the SS/SC: great power, good sound, killer handling, and factory backed performance upgrades. Cons: Quality issues, WHEEL HOP.

Speed3 Pros: Best tq in the class, traction control, xenon headlights, overall fit and finish

Cons: very short ratioed six speed, brakes are only 1 piston calipers! (wtf) so the brakes hold good for the first few stops but after that not so good, weight

wasey13 03-16-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suprchged (Post 116141)
Ok i test drove a Mazdaspeed3 for almost 1 1/2 hours. It was an awesome car to say the least but when i left the dealership after trying to make an unsuccessful trade. They actually done me a favor i like my cobalt alot better. It had plenty of torque but ran out of steam quickly (which i heard was solved by a cold air) in the upper revs but you better hold on from 3000-5800. The only thing that killed it was that it was heavy and the hatch like body killed it in the corners but for a flat out everyday car with awesome potential it is #1. Wasey I truly dont know what you are smoking but the Speed3 and SS/SC stock for stock the mazda goes 0-60 faster but we beat them by .1 in the quarter so they are very close. It would def put up a fight in a roll or dig and may beat the ss/sc. To answer the first post Pros for the SS/SC: great power, good sound, killer handling, and factory backed performance upgrades. Cons: Quality issues, WHEEL HOP.

Speed3 Pros: Best tq in the class, traction control, xenon headlights, overall fit and finish

Cons: very short ratioed six speed, brakes are only 1 piston calipers! (wtf) so the brakes hold good for the first few stops but after that not so good, weight

Magazine racing FTL!:rolleyes:

I know for a fact quite a few of the MS3s have ran 13.8s already BONE STOCK, maybe 13.7s not for sure. With TBE and tune they are picking up like 50-70+whp. What are you smoking?? The MS3 outhandles the SS/SC too. Basically MS3>>>SS/SC in every objective way.

suprchged 03-16-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasey13 (Post 116188)
Magazine racing FTL!:rolleyes:

I know for a fact quite a few of the MS3s have ran 13.8s already BONE STOCK, maybe 13.7s not for sure. With TBE and tune they are picking up like 50-70+whp. What are you smoking?? The MS3 outhandles the SS/SC too. Basically MS3>>>SS/SC in every objective way.

(sarcasm)Yep your right ive never test driven one, i lied, fully based on magazines(Sarcasm) your a fucking jackass. and TBE and tune is not stock. The Ms3 .83 SS/SC .86 so i guess it outhandles doesnt it. Can you please go away your like a fly hard to kill off but damn does it get on your last nerve.