Cobalts SS banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short and Sweet question. What would an 06 G85 cobalt need to hang with an STI or an Evo. I know you would need a lot of mods to compete with the 400 hp cars like the corvette or the GTO. But what about hanging with the Sti, Evo, or the 350Z. Would the GM stage 2 kit, cai, headers, and exhaust do the trick? The way I figure, that puts the cobalt at about 270-275 bhp. I just want to know how this would match up with the 300 hp cars....thanx

·
Registered
36 Posts
Short and Sweet question. What would an 06 G85 cobalt need to hang with an STI or an Evo. I know you would need a lot of mods to compete with the 400 hp cars like the corvette or the GTO. But what about hanging with the Sti, Evo, or the 350Z. Would the GM stage 2 kit, cai, headers, and exhaust do the trick? The way I figure, that puts the cobalt at about 270-275 bhp. I just want to know how this would match up with the 300 hp cars....thanx
stage 2 and you could beat a 350z, i think youll need close to 300 to hang with evo/sti but i dont know much about those cars

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
As long as you are talking about real racing, you would need at least a 2.7" pulley and every every single bolt-on to keep up with a properly driven STI/EVO.

·
Registered
772 Posts
1/4 mile drag you'll need alot of mods and slicks, 1/8 race forget about it. And a highway roll race (not much of a race) the usual mods should get the job done. They only trap about 101MPH thru the quarter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
1/4 mile drag you'll need alot of mods and slicks, 1/8 race forget about it. And a highway roll race (not much of a race) the usual mods should get the job done. They only trap about 101MPH thru the quarter.
the guy that posted above you only trapped 98 mph... i thought they were faster than that.. 13.6 @ 98? thats all launch.. they aren't as fast everyone thinks then... i think in a roll race you could take one with stage 2 only

·
Registered
110 Posts
I raced one from a dig and i only lost by 2 cars shutting down at 85-90. From a roll he still had me, but my front tire was at his back door. I only have CAI and exhaust. STI's are quick dont get me wrong, but not as quick as people think, there 13.4-13.6 1/4 are all from the launch. From a roll there not so spectacular.

·
Registered
772 Posts
There awesome cars but when it comes to drag racing they are all launch when there stock. They Make 300 CRANK HP and their all wheel drive eats up more power that a Front or rear driver (Drive train loss!) A Cobalt SS has a weight advantage of about 300 pounds. I think scrappy is right 265 to the wheels will get it done(Usual Bolt ons)for a roll. At the track you'll need traction with your 265 hp to hang. In a drag race the launch is everything and they have that all over us. If you guys really want to go fast. Slicks are the best investment you can make. I cut half asecond of my times with a set of mickey thompsons.

·
Registered
597 Posts
After Stage 2 my SS/SC had 247whp.

I raced a 2005 STi a few times from a dig and from a roll twice.

From a dig he would always put a car on me and hold there, but if we went past 100mph I would reel him in.

From a roll I had no problem putting a few cars on him by 100mph.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As long as you are talking about real racing, you would need at least a 2.7" pulley and every every single bolt-on to keep up with a properly driven STI/EVO.
In a real race around a track, none of them could catch a stock ss/sc. Thr ss/sc is not a drag car. I've seen videos of a ss/sc keeping up (barely) with a porche 993 around a track. The ss/sc was developed a nurburgring. Its ment for a track! Not a strip! On street tuner challenge, the ss/sc beat the skyline around the track by something stupid, like 7 seconds a lap! Don't quote me on that, I know that 7 seconds is a longggggggg time around laps, but it was some stupid number liike that! There was also a gti in the comp. LOL! I'll try to find the video again, and post it!

·
Registered
772 Posts
That seams like misinformation to me. The STI is a world class rally car. It's a proven winner. The SS/SC is a sweet econo rocket with front drive. Car & driver did a comparo at virginia international race way and the SS/SC turned a very impressive lap but an EVO which is very comparable to a STI did a better lap because it had more power in the straights.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To beat the cars mentioned, the following mods should do it fine:
60lb Injectors
2.7" Pulley
Complete custom tune
Colder Plugs

If the other cars are stock, you shouldn't have a problem from a roll with those mods. Obviously the normal bolt-ons from that point will help a bunch, but I honestly think you'll be fine with these plus good driving.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
In a real race around a track, none of them could catch a stock ss/sc. Thr ss/sc is not a drag car. I've seen videos of a ss/sc keeping up (barely) with a porche 993 around a track. The ss/sc was developed a nurburgring. Its ment for a track! Not a strip! On street tuner challenge, the ss/sc beat the skyline around the track by something stupid, like 7 seconds a lap! Don't quote me on that, I know that 7 seconds is a longggggggg time around laps, but it was some stupid number liike that! There was also a gti in the comp. LOL! I'll try to find the video again, and post it!
Cobalt owner's crutch in the scene. The one and only time attack cobalt that does not compete anymore because it used(s) nitrous. Also it beat a stock R32 skyline. And there is no videos of an ss/sc keeping up(even barely) with a 993, you are dreaming, wake up.

You can pick any track in the world and a stock ss/sc would get whored out by a stock STI or EVO.

·
Registered
186 Posts
People get ur shit right. While a modded SS stands a chance against those 3 from a roll, from a dig especailly the EVO/STI, no chance and around a track the SS could probably take out a 350z (maybe) but not a STI or EVO.

While the SS is more of a track car than a drag car keeping up with a AWD turbo that were rally-bread....come on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i've seen evo's pull 14.4's and leave the line like good ole granny with a tub of milk in the back....

but if someone actually launches half decent, i would imagine a gm stage 2 shuld do the trick....or at least make it competitive

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cobalt owner's crutch in the scene. The one and only time attack cobalt that does not compete anymore because it used(s) nitrous. Also it beat a stock R32 skyline. And there is no videos of an ss/sc keeping up(even barely) with a 993, you are dreaming, wake up.

You can pick any track in the world and a stock ss/sc would get whored out by a stock STI or EVO.

How can tools like this make it though the day with out swallowing their own tounges?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.