Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a cop clock with the radar, at 60mph on the speedo on cruise control. he calibrated his gun, came back around and he said it was 59.6 mph. so the speedo is dead on got out on open road, without water injection running at hit 146~mph before running out of road. it was still wanting to go.. just no more room to do it, would've also been better if the car only had 1/8 tank of gas... it was 1/2 full

the file is 40 megs so dialup = no way


this is just posted to show you guys the car is not "drag limited" to 143... i wish there was room to run it like last time when i got up to 155, i think stock like it is now, it should be able to hit around 150mph tops... you can see the road was running out fast cause the brakes were on full force... notice the gatorade bottle flying out of the seat lol

http://www.ricermath.com/sspics/test123.mov
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
LOL. Don't kill yourself trying to get it on video. By one of those tri-pod things. That was pretty sweet. I only wish I had sound on this POS comp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
actually, on friday i was coming back to home from my university after a party (i was mad that i couldn't drink cuz i had to drive home) anyway, i was on 295 with this HUUUGE straightaway. had the car up to 148-9 ish when i saw taillights up ahead, got scared and hit the breaks, i passed the guy doing 70... i was just afraid it might be a cop. after that, i tried doing it again but 295 decided to get all twisty on my. it was definately capable of at least hitting 150, maybe more... it kept wanting to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
Not to rain on your parade or anything, buy since I'm here. Just cause the speedo was accurate at 60mph does not mean it was accurate at 140+. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
He should get his buddy w/ the radar gun in the car w/ him filming and shooting the radar gun at trees as they fly by them. Would that be more accurate for you? Because that would be awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wasey13 said:
Not to rain on your parade or anything, buy since I'm here. Just cause the speedo was accurate at 60mph does not mean it was accurate at 140+. ;)

yeah of course not, it has to be atleast 40 mph off...

you seem to know more about everyone's cobalt than the people that own them, that's awesome! </sarcasm>

and when i hook up the magellen and run it to 120 and it's .5 mph off, then let me guess the gps satellite hit a magnetic solar headwind which caused interference and then has an accuracy reading of +/- 17 mph, because there's no possible way that the speedo could be correct, which means that i was actually going 104.9 mph, not 120.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
selfinfliction said:
yeah of course not, it has to be atleast 40 mph off...

you seem to know more about everyone's cobalt than the people that own them, that's awesome! </sarcasm>

and when i hook up the magellen and run it to 120 and it's .5 mph off, then let me guess the gps satellite hit a magnetic solar headwind which caused interference and then has an accuracy reading of +/- 17 mph, because there's no possible way that the speedo could be correct, which means that i was actually going 104.9 mph, not 120.
Dang you are a joke/stalker/lame. Did you ever pay DC52NV his money that you owe him?? Mr. Roll Racing Master Jedi. HAHAHA

Anyways, was the 146mph speed GPS proven???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wasey13 said:
Dang you are a joke/stalker/lame. Did you ever pay DC52NV his money that you owe him?? Mr. Roll Racing Master Jedi. HAHAHA

Anyways, was the 146mph speed GPS proven???


i'm sorry, did you have any pictures of you and your 1995 hyundai accent? i didn't catch any of them around.....

maybe you could post up a few videos of your car on the track, or some pictures for us
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
they had one of those things that show you that your speeding on a street around my house. and it was ~1 am so i decided hey... i bet i can check the accuracy of my speedo. it was on a long straight road that EVERYBODY speeds down, so i set the cruise to 80 and flew by it. 79.6. hey would you look at that, still off by 4 tenths of a mph. then i turned around and passed it doing 100 (w/o cruise of course) and it said 99.7-8 (granted i was fiddling to keep it as on 100 as i could) so we have:
60mph ~ 59.6
80mph ~ 79.6
100mph ~ 99.7-8

and i as i stated before i had the car up to 148-9... so i had it up to 147.6-148.6... big deal, the car still goes faster then they're saying it does drag limited. just like srt guys claim a top speed of 155mph, when sources such as C&D say it's drag limited at 150. all we're trying to prove is that the numbers by GM of top speed and such are slightly played down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
One thing I think alot of people overlook is that the "Drag Limited" top speeds are calculated using a specific Air-Density. The conditions to which the calculations are made are very rarely, if ever, encountered in real life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
yeah air density at a specific temperature is different than another temperature. when using density/temperature, usually 20 degrees C (roughly 70 degrees F) is used in calculations, since it is one of the easiest to work with. it was less then 70 degrees out the night i was above 145, and from chemistry we learned that as air cools it becomes more dense. so, i was actually cruising above the calculated drag limited speed through an air density that (assuming) was denser then what was used to actually calculate the drag speed. therefore, the afformentioned conditions (air density/temp) used in the calculations where more restrictive to speed than what i encountered in real life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MChat said:
One thing I think alot of people overlook is that the "Drag Limited" top speeds are calculated using a specific Air-Density. The conditions to which the calculations are made are very rarely, if ever, encountered in real life.

so they don't even test it, they just have an engineer calculate it out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
selfinfliction said:
so they don't even test it, they just have an engineer calculate it out?
they use air density at a specific temperarure, and using some formula they can determine the cars drag limited speed by using the engines power output and coeffient of drag. so, no, they don't test it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Nice video, but you really need a co-pilot or a tripod mount for the camera
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
selfinfliction said:
so they don't even test it, they just have an engineer calculate it out?

well lets see whats cheaper, using an equation and 5 minutes or having to take a car near production trim, strap a guy in it, build a long enough strip of pavement and risk his life to see the same general thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nocturn said:
well lets see whats cheaper, using an equation and 5 minutes or having to take a car near production trim, strap a guy in it, build a long enough strip of pavement and risk his life to see the same general thing?

but it's not as fun looking at a math nerd in a classrom with a dry erase board :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
You do know that the stock Pzero tires are NOT rated to go that fast. If you were to have a blowout going 150, guess what would happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
tube said:
You do know that the stock Pzero tires are NOT rated to go that fast. If you were to have a blowout going 150, guess what would happen.
correct me if i'm wrong, but i was postitive that the ss/sc's had W rated tires... as in a top speed rating of 168 mph. and if they're not W rated, they're definately V rated at 150 mph, which is what we were looking to hit anyway. however, i'm still almost sure that they are W speed rated for 168 mph.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top