Cobalts SS banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having 'chipping' problems with my 06 (32K miles) gunmetal wheels. All four wheels are showing signs of corrosion. Never hit a curb and never use anything to clean them except soap and water. I took it to the dealer and they agreed to do a "one-time replacement." However, they also noted that this problem will re-occur with the new wheels if I drive them in the winter. (Michigan roads) They say that the wheels are not "all season." I've contacted GM customer care and emphasized that there should be a permenant fix to this problem -not just a temporary band-aid. Anyone else having this problem? I'll keep you posted w/ the result from GMCC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What exactly does the corrosion look like? I have an 06 wih polished wheels and the wheels have black spots on them. I just recently purchased the car and i was wondering if that was corrosion or if the previous owner painted tried to paint them or something

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly does the corrosion look like? I have an 06 wih polished wheels and the wheels have black spots on them. I just recently purchased the car and i was wondering if that was corrosion or if the previous owner painted tried to paint them or something

The corrosion looks like small specs of white. It is 'flaky' to the touch- and with your fingernail could remove more of the finish. The largest spot is about the size of a nickle. The dealer gave me a service bulletin regarding the proper cleaning care for polished and other wheels. It also described a process of removing small 'spotted' areas.....u may want to give that a try....if your dealer doesnt have the bulletin.....I'll post it (along with pics of the corrosion if I can). Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea if you could post the bulletin that would be great. I work at a chevy dealer so im going to see what they say about it. Ill let you know anything that i find out. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually they're comment was ' if you (I) keep doing whatever it is you are doing to them....the problem will reoccur.' The worst thing I have done to them is used a power washer (from a distance)- no wheel cleaner, no curb rash, no harsh chemicals (except road salt)..... hand washed at least every 2 weeks (no auto-washes). I guess I'll just have to put a heavy coat of wax on the wheels through the winter to hopefully help.

IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!!?? I cant believe I'm the only one!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually yesterday took a close look at my four wheels and i having some chipping on each of the wheels as well. the gunmetal is chipping off like yours is that you show in the pictures. I think the salt they put down on the roads during the winter is the main cause of the corrosion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually yesterday took a close look at my four wheels and i having some chipping on each of the wheels as well. the gunmetal is chipping off like yours is that you show in the pictures. I think the salt they put down on the roads during the winter is the main cause of the corrosion.

I agree, but I think that the salt situation should have been considered. Other cars have wheels that have been through MANY winters/ salt and are having no such problem. Chev. should either tell buyers that the wheel is not made for the winter or FIND A BETTER WHEEL to put on thier 'high end' cobalt..... not just tell them that they should go out and buy a winter set of wheels.

For now I'm somewhat happy.... I've got new wheels that look nice. Lets hope that they survive the winter and that I'm just as happy next spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 06 with the same wheels and mine are doing it. there not AS bad but you can see little chips. i live in southern Bama and the car is from florida. so winters not the problem. Maybe salt but then chevy should reconsider the wheels and what they are using on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea I asked the service manager at the dealer i work at about how they would handle it and they said GM handles it by making them send out the wheels to get repainted

1 - 13 of 13 Posts