Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 05 SS about 4 days ago. I love this car!!! :D

I am having 1 problem though. When I get on the gas in 1st gear, there is no boost whatsoever. The boost gauge doesn't go above 0 psi.

But as soon as I shift into 2nd, the boost comes on. Also have full boost in every other gear. Except first.

Anyone know what the deal is? Is there some sort of factory rescricter for 1st?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
It sounds like a Bypass Valve problem, or maybe the engine abuse program that disables boost. Did you take it in to the delarship yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Does it feel like it is not making as much power in 1st as the other gear? Is the boost guage in the cobalts mechanical or do they use a sensor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Mines like that too. Boost only goes above 0 when you in WOT. I assume the way the gearing is, there's no need for a significant amount of boost to get you going.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
I haven't even looked at mine yet... 1st gear goes so darn quick, I haven't paid attention to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
1st gear has the same boost as 2nd gear, there is nothing to alter that. If I had to guess I would say your boost guage is not getting a signal for some reason ( I am asuming they use a sensor to detect boost)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
I have seen readings of 9 psi in first, 12 psi in second and third. You should look into it. Your tires break loose in first gear at about 3200 rpm by simply rolling on gas pedal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I don't think you have a problem. If I remember correctly, boost is disabled (bled off) in first gear as well as reverse. At least it is on the Red Line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
The gage should read mechanically. Should be a line that tee's off from your vacuum line somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
dervin3 said:
Mines like that too. Boost only goes above 0 when you in WOT. I assume the way the gearing is, there's no need for a significant amount of boost to get you going.

haha, is this your first experience with forced induction? ;)

There is vacuum at all other times...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Signals said:
I don't think you have a problem. If I remember correctly, boost is disabled (bled off) in first gear as well as reverse. At least it is on the Red Line.
nope, in fact we have found that you can make more boost in reverse, not sure who decided to test that one out :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
lol clownhair..good point

Hahahahaha! Making boost in reverse...that's funny
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
200 Posts
hitthecones said:
haha, is this your first experience with forced induction? ;)

There is vacuum at all other times...
So youre saying that only at WOT there should be positive manifold pressure? :confused:
I really hope your post was sarcastic :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
phxSS said:
The gage should read mechanically. Should be a line that tee's off from your vacuum line somewhere.
No it's NOT! (if you're talking about the factory gauge)
It's hardwired to the ECM and gets a PWM signal based on the TMAP
WOT
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
65 Posts
It sounds like to me that gm was just trying to save the trannies. My srt stock had hardly any boost in first gear. I tried watching the gauge, (hard to see, is over fast) in first, but it's tuff. No more then 5-8 psi max. All I got to say is, when you get 10-16psi in the first 1-3 gears, your biggest problem is going to be traction. But ignorance is bliss. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Here are the exact parameters (from FSM) when the boost system is disabled by the bypass.
When reverse gear is selected
When the engine coolant temperature (ECT) is excessively high​
When drivetrain abuse is detected​
When the vehicle is decelerating​
If an intercooler pump failure is detected​
If the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor 2 becomes excessively high​
Under heavy load in first and second gear at engine speeds above 5,800 RPM​
Under all other + acceleration conditions - you should be seeing boost present (depends on engine/SC RPM)​

HTH
WOT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
i have a 05 cobalt ss there is no boost in 1st

i have a blue 05 cobalt ss one of the first in southern ca the car dose not have boost in 1st and yes you will not have boost unless the computer alows you to boost. it is not controled by pully size the waste gate on to supercharge is what controles the boost. the computer controls the vacume and boost side of the waster gate control valve

by the way my car have been at k&n twice for the air induction the dinoed the car 223 hp at the wheels it third gear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
cobaltssca said:
i have a blue 05 cobalt ss one of the first in southern ca the car dose not have boost in 1st and yes you will not have boost unless the computer alows you to boost. it is not controled by pully size the waste gate on to supercharge is what controles the boost. the computer controls the vacume and boost side of the waster gate control valve

by the way my car have been at k&n twice for the air induction the dinoed the car 223 hp at the wheels it third gear
no it dosn't, please stop posting misinformation like this because all it will do is make us have to answer 1 million questions about the cpu controlling the boost.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top