Cobalts SS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I went to the dealership a aproximately 3 months ago and there was a loaded Black SS sitting right beside a loaded Black LS. Needless to say, I ended up with the LS as opposed to the SS although the payments didn't really differ all that much because lets face it, I'm a huge fan of the turbo charger as opposed to the super charger system; although the turbo requires more maintainence, it's much more versatile, and extremely high boost levels can be acheived with a relatively small turbo. Anyways... I was just wondering about the bottom end internals of the 2.2L LS model as opposed to the 2.0L S/C model, what's the difference? I'm too lazy to really look myself. I figured the compression ratios were different, that should be a given, also maybe forged pistons on the S/C? Can the 2.2L n/a hold up to a nitrous shot on stock internals just as the 2.0L can? Any information would be greatly appreciated, or any links available with some of this knowledge.

Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
selfinfliction said:
has anyone found out about how much gm says our SS bottom end will support? i know they say the 2.2 is about 300 or so
Well in the build book, the recipe for the 400hp combo basically falls just short of saying 'buy all LSJ parts'. Tells you to use LSJ rods, similar pistons, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was easy and rather painless, thank you much. =]

·
Registered
11 Posts
would the 2.4ltr be able to handle say a light pressure turbo(5-6psi or so) with the stock compression ratio and without any other mods?

·
Registered
227 Posts
does anyone know who manufactures/supplies the parts? (like are our rods from Manley?)

·
Registered
153 Posts
hector said:
would the 2.4ltr be able to handle say a light pressure turbo(5-6psi or so) with the stock compression ratio and without any other mods?
Almost ANY N/A motor in any production car period can handle a fairly light pressure turbo providing it's done right (ie safe fueling, etc.). 2.4L could do it for sure.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Why couldn't you have just bought the SS, and did a turbo conversion? Sounds liek your trying be like an SS, buying the wing, front facia, putting FI in it, swapping internals from the LSJ, etc. Sounds lke you made an unwise decision.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thought I should warn you before you spend the money, but the fascias from the SS will NOT fit with the stock bumpers on the LT, LS or base models. Someone over on .NET found this out since they bought the front bumper and fascia and saw them both prior to installation. The bumpers on the SS are notched out and the fascias have wings on them (sorry didn't know of a much better way to describe it) which slide into those notches at the time of installation. Pretty much you either buy the bumper and the fascia or drop the idea all together because it just won't fit :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
phxSS said:
Why couldn't you have just bought the SS, and did a turbo conversion? Sounds liek your trying be like an SS, buying the wing, front facia, putting FI in it, swapping internals from the LSJ, etc. Sounds lke you made an unwise decision.
I had the option to buy a SS, they had a black one there that was loaded, an unwise decision though? :confused: I believe not. The stock LS wing just doesn't do it for me, the SS wing has much more visual appeal, and the SS front fascia just looks much better because it has molded fog light holes and a front lip as oppossed to the LS plastic inserts, and quite honestly, the only body kits out right now are just flat out ugly. I don't plan on putting all LSJ parts in the motor either, just ordered some 8.8:1 Wiseco pistions today, and with an extra 0.2 liters of displacement in the LS motor, a few forged bottom end internals, turbo kit, and a head swap the LS will slaughter the SS/SC. Besides that, have you seen any kits yet to swap the SS/SC to a turbo? The hahn racecraft kit is already in pre-production for the 2.2 LS/LT and will be out in about a month. ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
maleficient said:
I had the option to buy a SS, they had a black one there that was loaded, an unwise decision though? :confused: I believe not. The stock LS wing just doesn't do it for me, the SS wing has much more visual appeal, and the SS front fascia just looks much better because it has molded fog light holes and a front lip as oppossed to the LS plastic inserts, and quite honestly, the only body kits out right now are just flat out ugly. I don't plan on putting all LSJ parts in the motor either, just ordered some 8.8:1 Wiseco pistions today, and with an extra 0.2 liters of displacement in the LS motor, a few forged bottom end internals, turbo kit, and a head swap the LS will slaughter the SS/SC. Besides that, have you seen any kits yet to swap the SS/SC to a turbo? The hahn racecraft kit is already in pre-production for the 2.2 LS/LT and will be out in about a month. ;)

By the time you get all that done, good luck finding a stock SS to run. Make sure you do it a straight line because it doesn't look like you're touching the suspension and your stock set up wouldn't cut it on any track longer than the 1320. Good luck :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts