Cobalts SS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here so be nice...

Here is the deal I pick up an 2006 Cobalt LS with the 2.2L, the 5 speed Gertrag tranny. I got the car cheap ($1500) because it was running rough, after a a compression test that read 0 psi on number 4 cylinder I pulled the head and found a burnt valve, thats been 5,000 miles ago. I've wanting to add a mild turbo to the car to help me with fuel economy...not looking for 400HP just more than stock.
My question is would the turbo help fuel mieage noticeably? the car averages 32-36 mpg on the highway would a turbo increase that? I drive the car everyday and it makes cross country trips very often so I want a relaible turbo. Is there a kit that I could install and have any of you used them?

Thanks, Caleb

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
i wouldnt suggest a turbo to help with MPG's. maybe if you had a big V8 or disel or somehting like that. but look how a turbo works. it runs off the exhaust. so you will have to give it more gas in order to make boost. More gas less MPG

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can get MPG tunes but this will lower HP. It's either or in the world of vehicles. Go fast or go efficiently. I don't even know any turbo kits that are small like you're talking about. Most are for people trying to boost their car pretty good. A good CAI or airbox mod would maybe help. More air=equals less fuel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
agreed, first chance i get im putting a new air intake and new exhaust

1 - 4 of 4 Posts