Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have a Cobalt SS/SC with stage 2, intake, and torque dampener. I was under the impression that the car hits about 12.5 psi stock and about 15psi boost with GMPP stage 2. Anyway enough blabbering, heres the problem;

When under hard acceleration approaching redline (7000 rpm) in normal conditions, my stock boost gauge is reading 20+ psi of boost.

The arrow on the boost gauge is literally off the charts.

My CEL has been on ever since i installed the Injen CAI, but the car has been performing PERFECTLY so i have been just trying to ignore it until i get a chance to take it in.

Any input would be nice, i hope its just a gauge issue and not a blower issue.

Thanks,
Elf

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hmm. I was under the impression that stage 2 with the stock pully is only like 15+ But if you have a 2.8'' pulley or smaller I would understand the 20+psi

·
Registered
184 Posts
To fix your cel problem. try disconnecting you MAF and battery. Battery first, then MAF. Then wait a bit and reconnect the MAF and then your battery. That should take care of your cel problem.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BlackSS/SC06 said:
To fix your cel problem. try disconnecting you MAF and battery. Battery first, then MAF. Then wait a bit and reconnect the MAF and then your battery. That should take care of your cel problem.

Thanks for such a quick post dude, i really appreciate it. I'm running the stage 2 pully though so it cant be pully unless i just got a freak pulley.

Also, i have a noob question. Is the MAF the sensor that i physically removed from the stock airbox and placed on the CAI piping when installing the CAI?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes it looks like a computer chip almost, i had the same problem when i put on my fujita till i disconnected the battery for like 30 min. but 20 wow i have the stage 2 with 2.8 and i am lucky to get 16-17 at 7000rpms

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ChevelleElite said:
Yes it looks like a computer chip almost, i had the same problem when i put on my fujita till i disconnected the battery for like 30 min. but 20 wow i have the stage 2 with 2.8 and i am lucky to get 16-17 at 7000rpms
Yea i know its crazy! I'm thinking my gauge is bad. Thats all i can think of. The only other possibilty is GM sent me the wrong pully in my stage 2 kit, but thats next to impossible. Either way i'm gonna do that MAF thing you guys are talking about and see what happens

Another quick noob question, is it possible to mess with the MAF without removing my FREAKING wheel and wheel well? I swear it took me 5 minutes to actually put the Injen in while it took me about an hour and a half to jack the car up and remove the wheel and wheel well.

Perhaps i can just remove the wheel well and leave my wheel on?

·
Registered
184 Posts
ehh im pretty sure i had to take that whole mf apart. considering thats the longest cai install i have ever seen.

but i am not sure.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I didnt even have to take my wheel off to put my K&N Intake in, I just turned the wheel all the way to the left and it gave me plenty of room. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
JohnsRallyYellowSS said:
I didnt even have to take my wheel off to put my K&N Intake in, I just turned the wheel all the way to the left and it gave me plenty of room. :)
i have a aem cai and i have to install it so i hope i dont hav to take my wheel off... i just bought my new rims and i'd have to remove it... cuz u know shit happens..

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Yeah I know, like sliding them across the concrete and scuffing them. I didnt want to take them off because I have a "free tres for life deal with the dealership" and I didnt know if they could tell if I took them off by the torque of the lugnuts. I'm just quary about those things... But it only took me like 30 min to install, most of it was taking loose the fender liner :cool:

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
mikeyb0y said:
i have a aem cai and i have to install it so i hope i dont hav to take my wheel off... i just bought my new rims and i'd have to remove it... cuz u know shit happens..

the cai on a ss/sc is different from the 2.2l and the 2.4l. the 2.0l goes to the right side of car and underneath. the 2.2l and 2.4l go to the left and seem to have more room in the fenderwell.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay guys a quick update. I recently had a friend of a friend use his diagnostic thingy to see exactly what code i was throwing. I think is was a P0449. I should of wrote it down but was trying to play halo 2 and you know how distracting that can be....

Anyway, i looked it up on the DTC list and this is what i found

"P0449 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit -PCM"

So, uhhhhh, i have no idea WTF that means. I'm thinking about taking it in to the dealership but aside from the weird boost readings and a slight hesitation at 6000rpm in 2nd gear sometimes, there is really no issues.

I'm seriously worried that they will just blame it on the cold air intake and charge me for the diagnostic and reflash. I'm no mechanic but i know that a Cold air intake is not going to screw up a boost gauge like this. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Like i said its no emergency but would appreciate some advice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My guess would be that your cat is clogged, that'll throw the boost up high like that. And they may try to blame your CAI. Just to make life easier on yourself, you might want to swap back to the stock intake and then take your car in to have it checked out. In reality, I doubt the CAI caused any problems either, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't argue with you about it anyways.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Evap code is something in the gas tank emissions system, nothing to do with the engine. Take it in for that, and mention that the car feels like it lacks power sometimes at full throttle and you get a funny smell from the exhaust. That way they will check the Cat out. The light they will fix, probably by replacing the evap purge solenoid, nothing major there. Edit: also, about that hesitation, i have had that since day one with my car, every once in a while. Nothing that you can really do about it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you "mken" and "Italian Joe", you both seem to be EXCELLENT sources of information. I never even considered the idea of my cat being clogged. I'm going to schedule an appointment tomorrow. I didn't realize how serious this could be.

I have noticed that my exhaust note has changed significantly. Sometimes its fine but recently it has been weirdly quiet. I only noticed because i rode with my friend on a test drive of an 07 SS/SC and the exhaust was significantly louder than mine. Of course it could just be my mind just making up things.

I don't think that i'm going to replace my orginal airbox. Its a good idea but its just too much work for an amatuer like me with simple hand tools and no garage. My family has bought 5 cars from them in the past 4 years so they should treat us fair.

Perhaps this would be a good excuse for me to buy the GMPP catback exhaust system?

·
Registered
765 Posts
More than likely you have a plugged catalytic converter. I have heard of more than one Cobalt with a plugged CAT. This would explain BOTH of your problems.....

EDIT: Whoops! Next time I will read ALL of the replies before posting.... LOL

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TheToolmaker said:
More than likely you have a plugged catalytic converter. I have heard of more than one Cobalt with a plugged CAT. This would explain BOTH of your problems.....

EDIT: Whoops! Next time I will read ALL of the replies before posting.... LOL
Its cool dude. You basically just gave me a second opinion completely devoid of bias. Thats three people saying the same thing.

Would a GMPP catback exhaust system fix this? Or is it something else that needs replacing?

Also, what causes clogging? The car only has 7500 miles on it and i thought cat clogging was a more common problem among high mileage cars? Perhaps i am running rich or God forbid my exhaust system is too restrictive for my mods?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
another guy had it clogged with 500 miles or so. it happens. kind of common i guess with new cars at dealerships. have them check it out. should be no big deal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
whodis said:
the cai on a ss/sc is different from the 2.2l and the 2.4l. the 2.0l goes to the right side of car and underneath. the 2.2l and 2.4l go to the left and seem to have more room in the fenderwell.

thanx whodis... i didnt even snap that the cai goez opposite side of the 2.0... i guess i was just more excited to install my cai.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
mikeyb0y said:
thanx whodis... i didnt even snap that the cai goez opposite side of the 2.0... i guess i was just more excited to install my cai.
i only know because i have a 2.2l also. and i put an injen short throw on mine. i love it. wakes the car up just a bit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts