Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a debate..

Looking to buy a Cobalt more then likey.. But I keep hearing different things that make me want so wait until the 2006 models start..

For #1 Canada doesn't have the LSD coming with the car until the 2006 Model year.. Which I don't understand cause the car is coming from the same plant.. I can't see how the LSD would really make that much of a difference.. I mean it's should be a safety concern to not meet standards..

The second is apprently they are coming out with 2 different engine packages.. Now the thinking behind this is.. I don't want to go with a 2.0L S/C (order it now get it end of June) then find out that in Sept (when 2006 models released) they are having maybe a 2.4 S/C or Turbo...

What would you do in my case?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I suspect the no LSD/Recaro seats in Canada for MY05 is just an availability thing. You're right, it's not a safety issue or anything. I just don't think they're making very many at all this year, and don't have much to spare to send to Canada.

In MY06, there will be 3 engines; 2.2L NA 145hp, 2.0L SC 205hp, and the new one will be a 2.4L NA 170hp. The current 205hp supercharged will still be the most powerful engine in MY06. No need to wait for anything there.

Edit: and in your case, I'd buy one now. That's what I did. :D Think about it this way - no better engine to wait for, so forget that. LSD + seats will be about a $2000CDN package. Maybe more. Personally, I don't want the seats. If I find out next year that I really want the LSD, I can buy the part and have it installed for probably around $2500CDN, so it's not a big loss.

Up to you though. If you really want that LSD, you'll have to wait.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I read an article clipping from GMinsidenews forum that there was 2 engine models coming out.. So the 2.4 is only 1 engine model.. What would be the 2nd??

Also is the LSD really worth waiting that long. You say May 2006.. That's over a year.. I figured in Sept when they come out with the 2006 models.. I will have to check with my friend.. He is my sales person at the GM Dealership in Oshawa..

BTW Dan.. Do you own a Cobalt SS yet? I mean in your possession... Cause I would really like to see the SS in person and see how it is inside etc before I place an order..

So again is the LSD really worth the wait? And how much extra is it?? I mean the seats I could care less about.. The LSD just seems cool cause you would get better take off... But I mean $1500 extra... Is it really that justifiable (assuming that is about the price)..

Anywaz the clipping

Colored Cobalt SS seats a repeatable hit?

By Lindsay Chappell
Automotive News / April 11, 2005

DETROIT -- Those colorful leather seats in the sports-package Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged coupe have the car's top line executive thinking about using them elsewhere.

Cobalt project leader Lori Queen says the rest of the Cobalt series could get them as an option.

Her thinking: The seats seem to be resonating with younger customers and could draw others to Chevrolet.

"The tuner-crowd tends to go for colors that the rest of us might not put in our cars," Queen says of the seats, which come accented in red, yellow or blue. "None of us has done especially well with the youth market. So why not go for it?"

Queen says the Lordstown, Ohio, assembly plant that builds the Cobalt is now running on three shifts with no downtime to build the car. The series includes a sedan and coupe. She says that two new engine packages will be introduced in 2006

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
The price of the package is really cheap because LSD after market is like $2,000 alone and then the recaros are like $400 or so each. So $1,500 is not real bad if you do the math and do some research.

O and BTW i am also waiting for the 06 model because the demand for the SS is so high right now it is very hard to get one and second i just dont have the money for one right now but i should by the time the 06 comes out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The general concensus seems to be that when they say 'two new powertrains', they're referring to something else. Ie, both the coupe & sedan may get the 2.4L. Or they could be talking about a 2.4L with a manual trans and a 2.4L with an auto trans. Either way, the 2.0 SC will still be the top engine.

Whether the LSD is worth it is gonna depend on how hard you drive the thing. If you're going to be driving it hard, taking off hard, zipping around corners, or if you want to AutoX it or something, the LSD will be nice. If you're going to drive it 'normally', I don't think it's necessary. The average driver wouldn't notice the difference between having an LSD and not having one.

I still say if you don't care about the seats, it's not a huge deal. The LSD+Seats package will be $2000 CAD (ballpark). You will be able to buy the LSD from a dealer and have it installed for not a whole lot more than that later, if you decide you want it anyway. Of course you won't get the seats, but you said you don't care about that....

I don't have mine yet. I wish. :D It's still on order.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Im waiting for an 06 as well, for one: the reasons that 87camaroPA listed, we've already discussed this, and secondly: Im in wishful thinking that they might boost the horsepower or lower the price or something. :D

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
VQ35DE said:
The 2nd new engine is a ULEV(low emissions) version of the 2.2L.
Say what?? Is it just a lower emission version with some power taken away or some sort of hybrid? Just wondering i have not rally herd of that one i would like to know a little more thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think the LSD is worth it's money, especially if you road/drag the car!

just look at my sig(link)... no lsd = 12.3 @ 121mph

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would definately wait for the 06 model. This way if there any bugs with the 05 those would be addressed in the 06 model. Also the LSD is worth the wait IMO.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
WeTWoRKS said:
I would definately wait for the 06 model. This way if there any bugs with the 05 those would be addressed in the 06 model. Also the LSD is worth the wait IMO.
I am also worried about first year of new car's for example look at the Ford GT's there are all kinds of problems with them. O and the LSD is available with the first year here in the states but it is not available yet in Canada.

·
Registered
140 Posts
maybe in 06 they will make a while one! ahh.. white w/ black tinted windows.. with some chromies.. or maybe even white wheels... YES :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts