Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been waiting for my co-worker to do a couple of more mods so that we could get some races in. Co-worker brought a long his friend with a modded MazdaSpeed 6.

2006 Cobalt SS
Cold Air Intake
Catback Exhaust
GM Stage 2
S-AFC (Self Tune)

2006 EVO IX
Air Filter
Turboback Exhaust
Manual Boost [email protected]
Fuel Pump
ECU Flash (Tuning Technologies Tune)

2005 MazdaSpeed 6
Catback Exhaust
Cold Air Intake

First run 20mph run-
His car was quick, I admit, and by the top of third gear I have 2 cars on him, and continue to pull, and by the top of 4th gear I have 3 to 4 cars on him. Mazda fell back, was about 2 cars behind his Cobalt.

Second run 60mph highway run-
His car stays with me through third gear with me slightly ahead, but in 4th gear I start to pull, and at around 130mph I have around 4 cars advantage. Mazda again falls back.

Third run dig race-
I jump out on both the Cobalt and Mazda, and pull pretty easily. I let off at around 100mph with a solid 5 to 6 cars. The Mazda puts up a better fight, and when I let off co-worker's Cobalt and Mazda fly by me and continue to race. When they passed me, the Mazda looked like it had a slight advantage. Then I couldn't see who won, but they both agreed the Mazda was able to hold off the Cobalt. My co-worker makes excuses so they race again.

Fourth run dig race (Only Mazda and Cobalt)-
I am about a little over a 1/4 mile down the road waiting, so I only have their accounts of the race. Mazda got the slight jump at the start, Cobalt starts to reel in the Mazda, and when they reach me, it looked neck and neck to me.

Fifth run dig race (Only Mazda and Cobalt)-
Mazda bogs, Cobalt pulls 3 to 4 cars. End of the night.

I give my co-worker props on his Cobalt SS, for the little he has done (even though he has spent more on mods than I have), he put up a pretty good fight. I know 3 to 4 cars sounds like a lot, but it really isn't, especially since he was expecting to get killed. The MazdaSpeed on the other hand was kind of a disappointment, I thought it would have put up a better fight, especially since the Mazda owner was claiming he put down around 270whp with those two mods. I am only posting this story here, because I don't want to hear BS from other EVO owners who would claim I should have won by more. The Cobalt SS is no slouch, and if I had been stock, I probably would have lost. Good races, nobody got hurt, no cops pulled us over, so really nice. Oh yeah one of my next purchases will be an in car camera, so that I can start making some videos.

·
Registered
784 Posts
good kills man, nice to see some respect and appreciation between tuners.
No shit thank you, who cares if you won or lost its all fun here, hell when i beat someone or lose to someone i usually give out pointer or take pointer to what i need to do to improve. Good kill, and yes i drove a Mazdaspeed 3 they are a little disappointment. They are very heavy thats what kills them and the cobaltss/sc responds very well to mods.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That is the 1st balt that I hear of running a SAFC. Can you have him write up a how-to for the install, or find out where he got it installed. Sorry for the thread jack. Nice runs.

·
Registered
550 Posts
That is the 1st balt that I hear of running a SAFC. Can you have him write up a how-to for the install, or find out where he got it installed. Sorry for the thread jack. Nice runs.
good looking out scrappy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No shit thank you, who cares if you won or lost its all fun here, hell when i beat someone or lose to someone i usually give out pointer or take pointer to what i need to do to improve. Good kill, and yes i drove a Mazdaspeed 3 they are a little disappointment. They are very heavy thats what kills them and the cobaltss/sc responds very well to mods.
It was a mazdaspeed 6.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Maybe I got my info wrong, I'll talk to him monday, but I am sure he said tune, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
784 Posts
It was a mazdaspeed 6.
Oops Either way he dont know his own car, they are rated 274whp from factory, but they weigh about 3800lbs, and stock vs stock a cobalt will beat it to sixty and be even by the 1/4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oops Either way he dont know his own car, they are rated 274whp from factory, but they weigh about 3800lbs, and stock vs stock a cobalt will beat it to sixty and be even by the 1/4
Well there rated 274 motor horsepower from the factory so they probably put like 230-240whp. And its hard to believe a cobalt will beat an awd car to 60.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well there rated 274 motor horsepower from the factory so they probably put like 230-240whp. And its hard to believe a cobalt will beat an awd car to 60.
I can see it, the thing is a pig and in most test it runs flat or low 6's 0-60. same as the SS S/C

·
Registered
784 Posts
I can see it, the thing is a pig and in most test it runs flat or low 6's 0-60. same as the SS S/C
thank you for backing my point, not to mention the turbo sleeps until about 3000rpm

·
Registered
17 Posts
thank you for backing my point, not to mention the turbo sleeps until about 3000rpm
here
is one that runs high 5 seconds to 60 not to mention there are videos with people running high 13s in them. And turbo sleeps until 3000? When you launch at 4000-5000rpms trust me you wont feel any lag. Not to metion in the article it says the mazda gets 90% of its torque by 2200rpms, so i hightly doubt the turbo is sleeping.

·
Registered
186 Posts
here
is one that runs high 5 seconds to 60 not to mention there are videos with people running high 13s in them. And turbo sleeps until 3000? When you launch at 4000-5000rpms trust me you wont feel any lag. Not to metion in the article it says the mazda gets 90% of its torque by 2200rpms, so i hightly doubt the turbo is sleeping.
what are u arguing exactly? i would hope with turbo AWD 240+ hp that this thing can run high 13's with driver mod. The point is that is was supposed to be be a EVO and STI competitor but its not. C&D 5.9 0-60 CSS S/C BTW. Once again the car is a huge dissappointment and a pig.

·
Registered
17 Posts
what are u arguing exactly? i would hope with turbo AWD 240+ hp that this thing can run high 13's with driver mod. The point is that is was supposed to be be a EVO and STI competitor but its not. C&D 5.9 0-60 CSS S/C BTW. Once again the car is a huge dissappointment and a pig.
No im arguing that a cobalt could not beat a mazdaspeed 6 to 60mph. And if you read the article is was not suppose to compete with evo or sti, it suppose to be more refinded thats why they compaired it to the legacy. And if you go to a place like dragtimes.com there are 4 that run 13.7 stock so theire 0-60 should be in the mid-low 5 second range. Im not sure what you mean by dissapointment you should be more specific, and its just my opinion but 3570 pounds is not a pig.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
so from what i understand if the person w/ the mazdaspeed 6 put a boost controller on it then that person could tear a balt to peices

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think stock for stock a the cobalt would win from a roll, but i dont know how much a mbc would help the mazdaspeed.
Well a mazdaspeed is turned up alot from factory they blow 16.5lb of boost from factory so a mbc would not really help much maybe more at redline but that wouldnt be enough to tear a cobalt to peices so to speak my prdection stock for stock a mazdaspeed would edge the cobalt out by a headlight and by a roll a cobalt would edge out the mazda by a headlight, but i have neighbor who owns one so when i race it i will post up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was mistaken, he does not have a tune, I guess I got more to learn about Cobalts. He is thinking about getting his car tuned with the SAFC from Apexi, anybody have any experience with this product, just wondering? I thought he already got tuned, my bad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as the MazdaSpeed 6, I doubt it was making 270+whp, but those cars are underrated, so who knows. I thought it would be a little quicker from a roll though. From my vantage point, it seemed like the Mazda would get the jump, but the Cobalt would start to reel him in. Stock for stock, I don't know who would win between a MazdaSpeed 6 and Cobalt SS, but a stage 2 Cobalt is faster than a MazdaSpeed 6 with a couple of mods in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts