Cobalts SS banner

2006 EVO IX RS vs. 2006 Cobalt SS vs. 2006 MazdaSpeed 6

7K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  West Palm SRT4 
#1 ·
Been waiting for my co-worker to do a couple of more mods so that we could get some races in. Co-worker brought a long his friend with a modded MazdaSpeed 6.

2006 Cobalt SS
Cold Air Intake
Catback Exhaust
GM Stage 2
S-AFC (Self Tune)

2006 EVO IX
Air Filter
Turboback Exhaust
Manual Boost Controller@23PSI
Fuel Pump
ECU Flash (Tuning Technologies Tune)

2005 MazdaSpeed 6
Catback Exhaust
Cold Air Intake

First run 20mph run-
His car was quick, I admit, and by the top of third gear I have 2 cars on him, and continue to pull, and by the top of 4th gear I have 3 to 4 cars on him. Mazda fell back, was about 2 cars behind his Cobalt.

Second run 60mph highway run-
His car stays with me through third gear with me slightly ahead, but in 4th gear I start to pull, and at around 130mph I have around 4 cars advantage. Mazda again falls back.

Third run dig race-
I jump out on both the Cobalt and Mazda, and pull pretty easily. I let off at around 100mph with a solid 5 to 6 cars. The Mazda puts up a better fight, and when I let off co-worker's Cobalt and Mazda fly by me and continue to race. When they passed me, the Mazda looked like it had a slight advantage. Then I couldn't see who won, but they both agreed the Mazda was able to hold off the Cobalt. My co-worker makes excuses so they race again.

Fourth run dig race (Only Mazda and Cobalt)-
I am about a little over a 1/4 mile down the road waiting, so I only have their accounts of the race. Mazda got the slight jump at the start, Cobalt starts to reel in the Mazda, and when they reach me, it looked neck and neck to me.

Fifth run dig race (Only Mazda and Cobalt)-
Mazda bogs, Cobalt pulls 3 to 4 cars. End of the night.

I give my co-worker props on his Cobalt SS, for the little he has done (even though he has spent more on mods than I have), he put up a pretty good fight. I know 3 to 4 cars sounds like a lot, but it really isn't, especially since he was expecting to get killed. The MazdaSpeed on the other hand was kind of a disappointment, I thought it would have put up a better fight, especially since the Mazda owner was claiming he put down around 270whp with those two mods. I am only posting this story here, because I don't want to hear BS from other EVO owners who would claim I should have won by more. The Cobalt SS is no slouch, and if I had been stock, I probably would have lost. Good races, nobody got hurt, no cops pulled us over, so really nice. Oh yeah one of my next purchases will be an in car camera, so that I can start making some videos.

See less See more
#3 ·
No shit thank you, who cares if you won or lost its all fun here, hell when i beat someone or lose to someone i usually give out pointer or take pointer to what i need to do to improve. Good kill, and yes i drove a Mazdaspeed 3 they are a little disappointment. They are very heavy thats what kills them and the cobaltss/sc responds very well to mods.

#5 ·
good looking out scrappy

#15 ·
so from what i understand if the person w/ the mazdaspeed 6 put a boost controller on it then that person could tear a balt to peices

#19 ·
I was mistaken, he does not have a tune, I guess I got more to learn about Cobalts. He is thinking about getting his car tuned with the SAFC from Apexi, anybody have any experience with this product, just wondering? I thought he already got tuned, my bad.

#20 ·
As far as the MazdaSpeed 6, I doubt it was making 270+whp, but those cars are underrated, so who knows. I thought it would be a little quicker from a roll though. From my vantage point, it seemed like the Mazda would get the jump, but the Cobalt would start to reel him in. Stock for stock, I don't know who would win between a MazdaSpeed 6 and Cobalt SS, but a stage 2 Cobalt is faster than a MazdaSpeed 6 with a couple of mods in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.