Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how much relevance these hold here on CobaltSS.com, but I've decided to share anyway. The following images were taken by a ModernDriver Member at his local Chevrolet dealership. The car pictured is the '06 Impala SS, Chevy's latest entry into the SS performance lineup. I figured you guys would enjoy viewing them as you did the Cobalt SS Sedan pictures recently posted by myself. The images are extrememly high-quality and followed by high-resolution versions of each.

2006 Impala SS Images

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
chevy really needs to fire their entire engineering team and start over... are these people afraid to make cars that look different form each other?

·
Registered
59 Posts
selfinfliction said:
chevy really needs to fire their entire engineering team and start over... are these people afraid to make cars that look different form each other?
Engineers don't design cars, designers do. Take a step back for a monent and consider how incredibly bland a Camry is. What about Accord? So why on earth would it be intelligent to sell a radically styled car? Clearly the non-enthusiast public demands a bland transportation device.

Oh and "Chevy" does not have its own engineers. That's a brand name. GM has engineers. And as a GM Powertrain Engineer, I take offense and you may run away now and play with your Legos. Maybe you can put together a "different" looking car.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think it's feminine looking. The '94-'96 SS's were way cooler.

·
Registered
543 Posts
2006 Lumina SS

·
Registered
360 Posts
Chick car! Why are they slapping "SS" on everything anyway? I thought that was supposed to be the "performance" trim level not the "Camry look-a-like" trim level?

·
Registered
392 Posts
iball said:
Chick car! Why are they slapping "SS" on everything anyway? I thought that was supposed to be the "performance" trim level not the "Camry look-a-like" trim level?
Nothing we can really do....

SS is fading away into meaninglessness

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mercury said:
Nothing we can really do....

SS is fading away into meaninglessness
I know and it's a damn shame. They used to have something on their hands with that trim level, now it's not worth a damn. They should have just called the Cobalt SS/SC the Cobalt SC. Or started a whole new trim level just using "SC" since they love superchargers now. Slap 'em on everything as the highest trim level (with better engine internals than the base models, of course).
SC-4 for the Cobalt, SC-6 for something else...SC-8, etc. Kinda copying from DCx with the SRT line, but it would have made better sense, in my opinion.
I miss the days of the Cyclone....those trucks were evil.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
iball said:
I know and it's a damn shame. They used to have something on their hands with that trim level, now it's not worth a damn. They should have just called the Cobalt SS/SC the Cobalt SC. Or started a whole new trim level just using "SC" since they love superchargers now. Slap 'em on everything as the highest trim level (with better engine internals than the base models, of course).
SC-4 for the Cobalt, SC-6 for something else...SC-8, etc. Kinda copying from DCx with the SRT line, but it would have made better sense, in my opinion.
I miss the days of the Cyclone....those trucks were evil.
They were called Syclones(Sonoma) and Typhoons(Jimmy) or vice versa, I forgot.

I don't know what everyone is crying about. The only time Chevy stopped using the SS badge was a bit in the late 80's and early 90s, when they used Z34 and Z32 or whatever. They had SS 454 trucks in the 90s, that were badass, as well as the Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS. I think every vehicle so far that has received the SS trim has been deservent, some are tetoring(sp?) on the edge, but they still deserve it. The new Trailblazer and Silverado SSs don't have a supercharger. The Colorado SS, might come with a turbo. So the SC-# or anything similar would be dumb. I like how GM seperates the different brands; Ponitiac has GTP,GTX, and GXP. Chevy has SS. Saturn has Redline. I think thats better then having two SRT-10s, four different SRT-8s, one SRT-4 and one SRT-6(which is supercharged). You don't see SVT Lincolns or Mercurys or Mazdaspeed Fords and Jaguars. TRD does make parts for the Scions, but not TRD specific cars.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
pepsi21463 said:
no, thats Mercedes job to slap a supercharger on everything
Most of the guys on this forum think turbos own superchargers no matter what. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
360 Posts
wasey13 said:
Most of the guys on this forum think turbos own superchargers no matter what. :rolleyes:
That's because they do. Yet again, you fail to research anything.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
WTF are you guys talking about? Everyone knows NA ow3nz!!!!!!

ROFL

You're all a bunch of fuckn fanboi's, I swear... thankfully, most of you are not.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
iball said:
That's because they do. Yet again, you fail to research anything.
Yeah, tell that to AMG and all the 4sec. qtr. mile cars in the world. ;) :D ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
wasey13 said:
Yeah, tell that to AMG and all the 4sec. qtr. mile cars in the world. ;) :D ;)
You continue to spout and cannot offer any facts to back it up.
We're not talking "Top Fuel" here as the engines in those things bear almost no relation to production cars today. Unless you know of a 7000hp production car somewhere?

·
Registered
364 Posts
pepsi21463 said:
no, thats Mercedes job to slap a supercharger on everything
wait till january when amg starts putting thier new NA 6.3L engine in the rclass cclass sclass eclass clk etc... it has the most horsepower for a NA v8 production engine ever. 510 hp

1 - 20 of 32 Posts