Votes: 23 76.7%
  • no

Votes: 7 23.3%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recieved some information on an intake that has been tested to a 25hp gain in the mid-power band, for the SS. this intake will require some slight cutting on the hole where the intake tube goes through the fender. the hole will need to be cut out more towards the front to fit a bend and pipe properly. i have no idea what price would be on this intake but i would say it would be on par with normal cai costs.

i for one am willing to do some cutting like that for 25hp and would like to see if we can get 50 or so others on the wagon for this, because they would require that many people interested to follow through with production. the company wishes to remain un-named but i can say it's one that everyone knows and they have quality products.

please post in this thread if you are interested in this so we can contact the company to let them know we want the product with the best gains, not one that had to be restricted because gm made a poor design.

this is not the one that modernceo has posted about

1. selfinfliction

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
before everyone get's all crazy and says it's not possible like at the other place, check out this dyno from injen that shows they got 25hp gains mid-range and the bottom end is just absolutely killer compared to stock.

·
Registered
106 Posts
25hp for a CAI?!?!?! wow, but still why does the company wish to remain un-named? If its injen i am in, if not then i would want to know who it is before a absolutly agree to get one.
1. selfinfliction
2. JMac88

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JMac88 said:
25hp for a CAI?!?!?! wow, but still why does the company wish to remain un-named?

it's not necesarily the company, it's the guy i was talking to. i don't want to leak out and get the guy in trouble cause of some stuff he told me

i will say it's one of the top five intake companies in the world

·
Registered
49 Posts
that's weak if they're goint to wait for 50 people to begin production...

but in that case, i'm interested...

·
Registered
49 Posts
tomt5078 said:
So what is the graph from? ie:Car
not an lsj, look at where the graph drops off ~7k,

also, looks nothing like our torque curve. i think he's using it for reference

·
Registered
97 Posts
tomt5078 said:
So what is the graph from? ie:Car
I was reading the post and looked at the graph, and the powercurve isn't matching other dyno pulls done with 2.0 supercharged eco tech. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but the rev limiter stops where 6000-6500, the graph goes higher than that, also a stocker should put out 190-205hp :rolleyes: to the wheels. A intake is nice for the sound, but remember you're forced induction, and a engine is nothing more than a airpump. I'm not saying it won't give you more power, 5-8hp is the best bet. The real power is in the upping the boost 3-5psi, and the timing to match. Then the magic will appear!! :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vita said:
not an lsj, look at where the graph drops off ~7k,

also, looks nothing like our torque curve. i think he's using it for reference

yeah it's from a wrx. i just posted it becuase there's alot of people that think 25hp from an intake is unbelievable. when in fact bottom end (2500 rpm)on the injen wrx intake is up at almost a 60+hp difference.

what's sad is that i got this info from a person who has the capability of pushing this design through and at the .net forums it's just getting bashed... damn idiots

·
Registered
162 Posts
If there was such a thing produced and showed that kind of mid-range boost (without choking the upper-end), they would sell like hotcakes. No company is going to build a kit on the 'interest' of 50 lousy potential orders. I think someone is over-estimating his ability at pushing through a product as well as over-estimating gains and feeding Selfinfliction some overly optimistic rhetoric.

If they built it, it would sell hugely. Right now it is a pipe-dream from some self-important drone at a CAI company.

I would love to be proved wrong, but, sadly, I do not think I will be.

·
Registered
153 Posts
selfinfliction said:
yeah it's from a wrx. i just posted it becuase there's alot of people that think 25hp from an intake is unbelievable. when in fact bottom end (2500 rpm)on the injen wrx intake is up at almost a 60+hp difference.

what's sad is that i got this info from a person who has the capability of pushing this design through and at the .net forums it's just getting bashed... damn idiots
Before I start, I'm not "bashing", just looking to start an intelligent discussion. To that end, I think these claims are probably a bit generous. 60hp increase at 2500rpm? You realize to make 60 more hp at 2500rpm, you need to be making 125lbft more torque. So you're telling me that by slapping on this intake someone can gain 125lbft @ 2500rpm? No way, just not possible.

25hp for an intake is possible. As someone pointed out, 03 Cobras made that. But 03 Cobras are also 400hp monsters stock. I find it very difficult to believe that slapping an intake on a Cobalt SS will get you 25hp (+12%).

Remember too that dynos are inaccurate at best, and at worst, can be indirectly manipulated to sell a product. I could dyno my car one day, have it make 200whp, then take it home, put some new floor mats on it, take it back the next day, and have it make 220hp. Wow... 20hp from floormats!!!

But hell, prove me wrong. :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DigDug said:
If there was such a thing produced and showed that kind of mid-range boost (without choking the upper-end), they would sell like hotcakes. No company is going to build a kit on the 'interest' of 50 lousy potential orders. I think someone is over-estimating his ability at pushing through a product as well as over-estimating gains and feeding Selfinfliction some overly optimistic rhetoric.

they already have been testing various models with our cars, but out of these companies how many have you ever seen produce an intake that required cutting on the car?:

k&n
AEM
INJEN

that's because they normally don't do things like that. they leave chopping up cars to secondary market companies such as weaponR and bomz. the fact that this could happen is huge, but why would a company even investigate something if they can't get some interest? this isn't the field of dreams, they need to know there's a little interest or why would they waste thousands of dollars in deisgn work and manufacturing without knowing there's some slight interest in the product?

i'm not sure why people have such a hard time seeing what this could bring...

it's the same thing as the header companies, you know i personally pursued some companies trying to get them to look into manufacturing headers, now we have tog in the production stages, pacesetter is in the design stages, msds is waiting to see what all kinds of options are going to be available after sema, and they weren't considering them before i talked to them. and i'm sure as soon as we get the production set out, weapon r will be reverse engineering them to sell a knock off cheap replica of whatever they can get.

·
Registered
543 Posts
can you collect people for a possible group buy w/o that company being a vendor of the site?
I believe getting the names may be legal on the site but if the sell goes through then I think the admins may have a problem with that like they have had with some of their other sites.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DanM said:
You realize to make 60 more hp at 2500rpm, you need to be making 125lbft more torque. So you're telling me that by slapping on this intake someone can gain 125lbft @ 2500rpm? No way, just not possible.
wow.... maybe you could explain to us this crazy calculation you have constructed on figuring that you need 125tq to make 60 hp? i'm intruiged.

for example:

mclaren f1 = 627hp and 479 tq

1995 geo metro 1.3L = 74 tq and 70 hp

see the similarities? cause there are none. tq and hp have almost no dependacies on each other.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mm_omega2 said:
can you collect people for a possible group buy w/o that company being a vendor of the site?
I believe getting the names may be legal on the site but if the sell goes through then I think the admins may have a problem with that like they have had with some of their other sites.

i'm not trying to get a group buy.. the dude just needs to see there's some interest. i never said i wanted a group buy, nor was it ever insinuated. that was the whole purpose of posting a thread named "GUAGING INTEREST"

·
Registered
153 Posts
selfinfliction said:
wow.... maybe you could explain to us this crazy calculation you have constructed on figuring that you need 125tq to make 60 hp? i'm intruiged.

for example:

mclaren f1 = 627hp and 479 tq

1995 geo metro 1.3L = 74 tq and 70 hp

see the similarities? cause there are none. tq and hp have almost no dependacies on each other.
Oh dear god. Someone explain this to him, I don't have it in me tonight. :D

Torque and horsepower are intimately related, and if you don't know that, then you shouldn't be making comments about other ppl not knowing anything about cars. If you want [email protected], you need [email protected] That would be approximately doubling the LSJ's torque/power output @2500rpm, and no intake is doing that.

Incidentally, the graph you posted does not show +60hp @ 2500rpm. Don't get the hp & tq curves mixed up. It shows about +3hp @ 2500rpm.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DanM said:
That would be approximately doubling the LSJ's torque/power output @2500rpm, and no intake is doing that.

maybe you could point me in the direction of where i said that post was an lsj? and then i can point you to where i said it was posted as an example on the previous page

·
Registered
153 Posts
selfinfliction said:
sorry man, for that specific example it would calculate out to that. i was just getting pissed cause of all the stupid remarks this thread has conjured, my bad.

i really don't see this thing happening from all the people not even reading the thread before posting. i give up
No worries. Listen I'm not trying to be a dick. Hell, put my name down on the list, cause believe me, if I can get 25hp for the price of a CAI, I'm in. No question!

I'm just saying I think that's overly optimistic. Even that dyno graph you posted initially is a good example of "trickery" for the sake of marketing. It only made 23hp at ONE point in the powerband, and that was due to a somewhat suspicious dip in the middle of the stock torque curve aroun 4500. Excluding that mysterious "dip", the rest of the curve shows more modest and normal gains that K&N, AEM, and everyone else claim anyway. So at best, this is them taking advantage of an odd blip in the stock car to inflate their "peak" number, and at worst, this is them unscrupulously sorting through a number of dyno pulls to find the one that most suited what they wanted to show you.

Like I said, I could take my car, dyno it 5 times, pick the best and the worst, plot them together, and claim I got a 10hp increase for doing a voodoo dance.

I'm not saying they won't make a good product. I'm saying claiming 25hp is slightly misleading and not totally honest.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts