Cobalts SS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car for a bit over 24 hours.
A few things I've seen:
The exhaust system seems to be at least 2.25", maybe even 2.5". Nicely built, not the usual crinkle bent crap GM normally uses.
If indeed it's 2.5", this will support 250-275 hp w/o loss, if the muffler is decent.
The stock muffler is the biggest damn thing I've ever seen.........if it flows well, I'd be stunned!
Can't tell if the car has a cast iron exh manifold or a tubular Stainless Steel header. It's covered with a shield. But the down pipe is quite large. It leads directly into a large Cat. This gets the Cat hot quicker for emissions purposes. Quick light off they call it. After the Cat, it appears to go into a large resonator. In all honesty, it seems to be a very decent setup.
It's way too quiet though.
The air filter inlet tube seems to be a bit small. But hacking on it seems pointless, until someone makes a proven replacement. More inlet noise does not mean more power.
I haven't seen the stock airfilter yet. It seems to be a bit hard to get to. But I will.......
I plan to order a factory shop manual to learn more.....you all should too. A wealth of info....unless GM has changed the format.
More to come.....
Ron

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome aboard. guess I can say it even though I drive the Saturn Ion Redline

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nuke,
Same car, different skin.
Thanks for the welcome. Been here for a bit, just finally got the car!
Does Saturn offer the torsen (limited slip) yet?
The magazines seem to think so.....
Ron

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
498Nova said:
Nuke,
Same car, different skin.
Thanks for the welcome. Been here for a bit, just finally got the car!
Does Saturn offer the torsen (limited slip) yet?
The magazines seem to think so.....
Ron
I thought they came standard with them, but I don't know anymore. All the test Redlines at HIN(Hot Import Nights) had LSDs and none of the Cobalts did. :confused: Ionno.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The exhaust is indeed 2.5" all the way back to around the rear axle, then people have reported it drops to 2.25". Take care of that and you're good for a while.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The muffler is HUGE :eek: .... I noticed it the other day cleaning my exhaust tip. That thing has to go!!!! The manifold looked tubular to me when I was peeking around my car but it was hard to tell so it might not be. Congrats on the car..... ENJOY!!!!

:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ya that muffler is huge....I just took it off at the shop and its gotta weight at least 15-20 pounds easy! I installed a magnaflow street muffer single sloted tip...what a difference in power the car flys throught the boost...Colin

·
Registered
297 Posts
HotCarlsSS said:
Ya that muffler is huge....I just took it off at the shop and its gotta weight at least 15-20 pounds easy! I installed a magnaflow street muffer single sloted tip...what a difference in power the car flys throught the boost...Colin
I take it you work at a muffler shop... Does it sound any different from stock, and I take it you think there is more performance with the switch.
Please keep us informed on anything else..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh trust me the performance is substantial...I think that the muffler is very restrictive + it ways a ton compared too a Magnaflow single tip muffler but boost comes in very quick and car goes like stink....mabe next yr 3" exhaust but I want stage 2 first...I asked GM dealer and the stages are covered under warrenty if they are installed at the dealer....COlin

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So how much louder did the car get?
Ron

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"The exhaust is indeed 2.5" all the way back to around the rear axle, then people have reported it drops to 2.25". Take care of that and you're good for a while."

This appears to be the case, alhough I haven't hauled the calipers out to verify this yet. It does drop to a slightly smaller diameter before it goes over the axle. If I decide I can weld stainless with a wire feed, I just might fix that!

"The manifold looked tubular to me when I was peeking around my car but it was hard to tell so it might not be."

Actually, the manifold is a very short cast iron unit. With a rather large outlet. Someday, I'll remove it and see how well GM made it. A header would be a difficult thing to make given the short distance to the stock Cat.

Ron

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pipe sizes are indeed correct. 2.5" to just before the axle, then 2.25" up and ove into the bathtub old man muff.
That will be easy to modify. Very much like my Calais 442, and I've built 6 of those systems for me and my buddies.

I now wonder what the insides of that big long resonator looks like......anyone know?

Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts