Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so to my understanding the SS has betting handeling, interior, and debatable looks. The SRT-4 has performance.
my source is from online reads and a post by a non-biased srt and ss owner

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
brandon01rt said:
so to my understanding the SS has betting handeling, interior, and debatable looks. The SRT-4 has performance.
my source is from online reads and a post by a non-biased srt and ss owner
BTW i am an owner of a Dakota R/T and am considering either SS or SRT

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Both SS and SRT have exceptional performance!!! Just one is better at straight line acceleration due to a larger displacement/higher output engine (SRT) and the other (SS) is better at carvin up the twisties due to a more advanced suspension/chassis. Both are excellent cars, and both can be vastly improved upon in both areas. Overall performance will be neck and neck on these cars once the aftermarket catches up with the SS which wont take long with huge vendors like Modern Performance and a few others joining in.

A lot of people say the SS looks better due to the fact that it is in coupe form, yet I think the SRT would e more practical w/ four doors.

From what I hear the SS will probably run at a higher price due to the nice interior, quiet steel, and other luxuries so performance/$ is better w/ the SRT-4 but overall value/$ is somewhat arguable yet I lean towards the SS.

So all in all considered, it really is completely up to you, its your decision to which one you like better that you should base your choice on.

Good luck with whatever path you take!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CoBIZZLE said:
Both SS and SRT have exceptional performance!!! Just one is better at straight line acceleration due to a larger displacement/higher output engine (SRT) and the other (SS) is better at carvin up the twisties due to a more advanced suspension/chassis. Both are excellent cars, and both can be vastly improved upon in both areas. Overall performance will be neck and neck on these cars once the aftermarket catches up with the SS which wont take long with huge vendors like Modern Performance and a few others joining in.

A lot of people say the SS looks better due to the fact that it is in coupe form, yet I think the SRT would e more practical w/ four doors.

From what I hear the SS will probably run at a higher price due to the nice interior, quiet steel, and other luxuries so performance/$ is better w/ the SRT-4 but overall value/$ is somewhat arguable yet I lean towards the SS.

So all in all considered, it really is completely up to you, its your decision to which one you like better that you should base your choice on.

Good luck with whatever path you take!
thanks for the input and for not flaming me when i say srt is faster out of the box. To be honest, I am leanign toward the srt beacause I am mopar by blood and an impatient in wating for the aftermarket to catch up to the 2yr old srt.
P.S.Also to my understanding in reading turbos are easier to upgrade and have more potential. This does not make since because al one has to do is get a smaller pulley and possibly new computer. :confused:

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Yeah the SS has beter handleing and SRT-4 is faster stock. But i am getting a SS because i am a Chevy guy and i hate four doors and i would like to have a car that can handle really nice because of all of the twisty corners around me.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
The whole coupe look and four door functionality of the RL's had me thinkin bout them for a while! But now I definitely have it narrowed down between the two different SS's. And to be honest I'll probably grab the first one I see!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
SRT-4 & SS

I Test drove the SS yesterday and was pretty impressed. Interior is very nice and more modern then the SRT, but I like the SRT seats way more though! The shifter is smoother and handles very nice from the few hard turns I took, but didn't feel any different from the SRT. The S/C grabs instantly and has a sweet wine to it. I floored it hard in 2nd and it put me back in the seat a lil bit, but nothing like the SRT pull.

The look is nice from the outside, but not a big fan of the front end or Wing. It would have been nice if they put a more aggressive look in the front. Seriously, it looks like a Civic/Cavalier from the front. The exhaust note is smooth and pretty quite compared to the SRT.

Overall, in a scale from 10, I give it an 8. I was impressed and felt alot better then the RL. Now I want to see a stock SRT vs stock CSS from a roll/stop/and track course :)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Yeah at the Chevy dealer near me is getting a crap load of Cobalt SS's they had two then sold it and then they got a black one in on Sat and in a week they will be getting a Yellow one and the fallowing weekend they will be getting in a Red one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Performance? GM totaly under rated the ss...the dyno test pushed out 217 hp stock...u throw headers and cold air intake ur lookin at 250 ponys for only about 800$ buddy....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Balt020 said:
Performance? GM totaly under rated the ss...the dyno test pushed out 217 hp stock...u throw headers and cold air intake ur lookin at 250 ponys for only about 800$ buddy....

Its not really 217, look closely at the MP Dyno run, the guy bounced the rev limiter at the end giving it a false peak HP, its more along the lines of 205. That being said Headers and a CAI would probably put you closer to 220 at best. Unless the GM factory air box is extreamly restrictive a CAI will do just what they do for the SRT guys... Almost nothing but cool sounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Oh we defintely don't need to get that stuff started in here already. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Its gonna be anywhere you go man, just like FORD FOUND ON ROAD DEAD or FIX OR REPAIR DAILY, etc,etc I actually heard one for Chevy once but it was too long and I forgot it, I know of one for Pontiac but it is too racist IMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts