Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
airbox mod (added sound clip 3 sep)

i was bored today and decided to do the airbox mod thing with the cheap filter instead of buying that damn $60 overpriced k&n filter. this = $24.99 filter and 1 hour work.

took about 1 hour, mostly to get the stuff disconnected and hooked back up. i found a filter that will actually fit in the airbox nicely enough so you can put the bottom of it back on as well, if you're worried about that. i left mine off because it sounds so much better with the bottom off. the butt dyno says that it made a huge difference. before when you romp the gas it seemed to lag a bit from where it sucked the air out of the airbox, then started flowing properly. now when you hit the gas the wheels just start spinning instantly in first, some of second. last night i was racing one of those early model 4.6 gt mustangs and the road was damp from rain earlier in the day. started from a roll in second around 40mph, when i hit third my wheels broke loose and i had to let up a little to let them catch.

since it never did this before, i'm guessing it's because that really short lag we got that used to be there is not now. i can't wait to get on the dry road and run a few cars.

the best thing of all :) it sounds wicked. down in my parent's place in kentucky, i drove around the mall i was getting on it and some dude stopped and asked me what kind of motor i had in it. i told him it was an electric hybrid motor and it runs 14's on the track and still gets 70mpg lol... he looked at me all stupid and said with a horrible hillbilly accent "they is puttin' dem electric motoars in cars nowadays?" :D

while waiting for all these cai's to come out, i would suggest you guys give this a shot, it's cheap, safe and you can definitely tell a difference.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brk_05 said:
What kind of filter did you use?

one from pep boys. it was a specter, universal filter was $24.99. i think the number on it was 8143 or 8042 or 8*** something

also for you guys afraid to leave the bottom of your cab off for the filter because of rain don't worry. i just drove almost 3 hours straight from my parents house back home in a continuous torrential downpour(the remainder of the hurricane passing through) in kentucky with no problems at all...

·
Registered
34 Posts
do u have any pictures or instructions of how to do this?.. did u have to take off ur wheel and splash gaurd to get at the airbox?
thanks--

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blink30056 said:
do u have any pictures or instructions of how to do this?.. did u have to take off ur wheel and splash gaurd to get at the airbox?
thanks--

yep had to take it all off, check out the .net forums they got the picture "how-to" there some dude made it on there

·
Registered
119 Posts
So now that I've had this modd a week I keep throwing code p0171 system too lean bank 1 !!!! The MAF sensor must be the problem, but the car runs fine. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i did this same mod with the k&n filter (e-1009), and i haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
306 Posts
my k&n has never caused any problems, and it sounds wicked bad ass, now everyone you go near knows there is a supercharger though...

·
Registered
158 Posts
EastCoastZ said:
So now that I've had this modd a week I keep throwing code p0171 system too lean bank 1 !!!! The MAF sensor must be the problem, but the car runs fine. Anyone else have this problem?
whats up with that code, from just a cone filter, why does that happen, can anything result from this code

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
yea the k&n i have does sound bad as hell, screaming around town. but i have no idea about the code, i've never gotten in with my filter.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Notsosane said:
I did the airbox mod and it seems as if my fuel economy went down... Has anyone else experienced this?
i noticed that my fuel ecconomy went down too... :D ... but that's cuz i drive around with the windows/sunroof open flooring it cuz i love that blower whine. if i drive it regularly i get the same gas mileage i used to... what filter did you use?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
BizoCG said:
Hey if I want to buy one of these's (K&N drop in filter) where do I get one??
well, modern performance sells one at http://www.modernperformance.com/gm/oncobalt.shtml.

however you can also get the filter from most any auto parts store (autozone, pep boys, etc) the model number for the filter i used is e-1009. it's longer then the stock filter by a bit, so you have to leave the airbox's cap off... which means u need to use the supplied clamp that comes with the filter to tighten it to the neck of the intake tube. in order to tighten the clamp, you will have to remove the whole airbox assembly and the tube that's connected to it, drill a small hole in the side of the box to fit a screwdriver in and there ya go. if you want any more details feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
there should be a gain... i know my wheels start coming loose at the top of first and they didn't do that before the mod, so there is some performance to gain. plus as i and another member argued over... there is a slight increase in throttle response. plus the sound is amazing.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BizoCG said:
Can you tell the difference with it or does it just make it sound better??

don't spend the money on the k&n spend $25 on a knock off filter... the k&n ones are throwing codes on peoples cars, i don't think anyone has had a code with the spectre filters form pep boy's

1 - 20 of 44 Posts