1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how and what do i need to do for this mod

i can do it myself if i was told how

blease help

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
there was another post on here somewhere about the k&n filter number you need for it. i think it was something like e-1015. it's a cone style filter that you can put directly on the stock intake tube. then remove the actual airbox that has flat filter. that's it. very easy. i'll post number for filter when i can find it. i think iso knows it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there was another post on here somewhere about the k&n filter number you need for it. i think it was something like e-1015. it's a cone style filter that you can put directly on the stock intake tube. then remove the actual airbox that has flat filter. that's it. very easy. i'll post number for filter when i can find it. i think iso knows it.

thanks for the directions.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i went to autozone and picked up a k&n filter (model # e-1009) for 60 bucks. the filter is cylindrical in shape, is much longer than the stock paper filter, abd has a 3.xxx opening and fits the end of the stock tube perfectly. the stock airbox in the ss cobalts is located in the fenderwell. so, i had to jack up the driver's side of the car, remove the wheel and wheel well liner to get to the box. removed the box from the car. put the filter on, drilled a hole in the side of the box for a screwdriver and clamped the sucker on there. then put it back in the car leaving the bottom cover of the airbox off.

i just cut and paste that from the journal i have for my car at a different site. if you need to know anymore on how to do it pm me or post up here.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is this mod just as effective as a $200 intake

·
Registered
784 Posts
is this mod just as effective as a $200 intake
i would say no, because an intake is designed for the same purpose that you are doing i just went the safe route and put it in the hands of injen instead of drilling holes in a stock air box and a upgraded drop in, the sound you get with a cold air is unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i did the mod and i didnt have to drill anything i got it on there kinda weirdly
it doesnt move

·
Registered
784 Posts
i did the mod and i didnt have to drill anything i got it on there kinda weirdly
it doesnt move
did it make a difference by the feel or response or was it about the same.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i couldnt tell a difference because i drove it for three days in the rain then when i finally got to drive more spiritually i couldnt feel a difference

but, it has a nice loud whine from the supercharger

and for some odd reason nobody is wanting to race

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i would say no, because an intake is designed for the same purpose that you are doing i just went the safe route and put it in the hands of injen instead of drilling holes in a stock air box and a upgraded drop in, the sound you get with a cold air is unbelievable.
the air box mod would produce EXTREMELY close to the same gains as a $200 + intake (like your injen). there is very little difference in the tubing of the injen intake compared with the tubing of the stock intake. the only restrictive part is the airbox and paper filter. so removing the lid of the airbox and replacing the paper filter with a high flow filter, you would yield similar gains to spending tons of money just to get shiny tubing. the hole drilled in the airbox itself is just there to get a screw driver in to tighten the clamp. so, the hole is quite small (just large enough to fit the end of a screw driver through).

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i used an apc oil filter
it had a clamp around it and i tightened it before i installed it
the filter has rubber on the end and it molded around the entrance to the intake

i could not pull it off afterward ( and i pulled hard )

still hasnt fallen off

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i used an apc oil filter
it had a clamp around it and i tightened it before i installed it
the filter has rubber on the end and it molded around the entrance to the intake

i could not pull it off afterward ( and i pulled hard )

still hasnt fallen off
hey, whatever works. i'm not too sure how great that filter is, i gotta admit.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i went to autozone and picked up a k&n filter (model # e-1009) for 60 bucks. the filter is cylindrical in shape, is much longer than the stock paper filter, abd has a 3.xxx opening and fits the end of the stock tube perfectly. the stock airbox in the ss cobalts is located in the fenderwell. so, i had to jack up the driver's side of the car, remove the wheel and wheel well liner to get to the box. removed the box from the car. put the filter on, drilled a hole in the side of the box for a screwdriver and clamped the sucker on there. then put it back in the car leaving the bottom cover of the airbox off.

i just cut and paste that from the journal i have for my car at a different site. if you need to know anymore on how to do it pm me or post up here.
hey, whatever works. i'm not too sure how great that filter is, i gotta admit.
i didnt have enough $
and the model number didnt match up,
didnt know which one to buy

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was looking at the part number on the boxes
or maybe they didnt have it in stock