Cobalts SS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it has been a few weeks now since i lowered my car and my front tires are bald on the insides (hice why i am selling the rear 2). I had a blowout on the interstate today and i just ordered 4 Goodyear Eagle Gs-D3 tires :) :rolleyes: Anyway before the new tires go on i have to get this camber issue fixed, does anyone offer a camber kit or can the camber be adjusted on an alignment? The place i have do my tire/alignment work says they dont have the "specs" to align it. they are really great people to deal with and have necer gave me any reason to disbeleive them. so what "specs" are they wanting? Please help!! The goodyears were almost $800 and i dont wont them wearing out pre-maturaly.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Ronnie Pendergrass said:
well it has been a few weeks now since i lowered my car and my front tires are bald on the insides (hice why i am selling the rear 2). I had a blowout on the interstate today and i just ordered 4 Goodyear Eagle Gs-D3 tires :) :rolleyes: Anyway before the new tires go on i have to get this camber issue fixed, does anyone offer a camber kit or can the camber be adjusted on an alignment? The place i have do my tire/alignment work says they dont have the "specs" to align it. they are really great people to deal with and have necer gave me any reason to disbeleive them. so what "specs" are they wanting? Please help!! The goodyears were almost $800 and i dont wont them wearing out pre-maturaly.
Why not get the nitto neogens? They are designed for negative camber cars. http://www.nittotire.com/tires_neogen.asp

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would just rather have the tires contact patch as large as possible for safety and "all around handling" I like straight line speed better than curvies, but even with both the tires cambered in you would lose handling in curves. Sure one tire is lveling out and making a better contact patch, but the other is now cambering even more causing less of a patch on that side, and since my car dosent have LSD a hard acceleration out of a turn would just induce massive tire spin because the tire with the least amount of resistance is going to pull. I really like the Gs-D3 tires i have had a set on my Camaro and have heard a lot of people who have had them and no major complaints espicially about traction. thanks for the response though i didnt know anyone made a tire for negative cambered vehicles, definetly an option for some but no me. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i did not get one immediately after because the camber wasnt that bad, but obviously it takes a lot biggger toll on your tires than i would have thought. It is ok i am not mad or anything, i get a chance now to get some new-better tires. Do you, or anyone, know if anyone makes a camber kit for these cars yet, or how far the camber can be adjusted through alignment?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No you do not need a camber kit you can adjust the camber at the strut by grinding the strut bolts. It sounds bad but that is how you do it. GM should have the alignment specs. I bet you the problem with wearing the tires out is you have a toe problem. You can run a lot of negetive camber and have no tire wear it is the toe that is the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Several years back i bought a S-10 Xtreme when they first came out. lowered the truck and within 2 weeks my tires were shot. Asked around all over town and no one with a computer ran alignment rack could do the alignment. Finally found a shop that still did the alignment by hand and good old rulers and tape measures. Needless to say never had tire issues after that. Had a mustang several years ago and put adj suspension on and took it to them to align. Instead of buying camber plates they drilled out the rivits that heald the stock plates in place and drilled new holes to compensate for the new suspension and re riveted everything down. awsome shop unfortunately they are hard to come by. I would ask around to see if anyone does alignments by hand. Good luck but do something before you put the new tires on or you will be sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts