Cobalts SS banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have been around this forum for a few weeks but haven't made any posts. I got my Yellow SS/SC on Friday afternoon and I LOVE it! :D The problem is I was driving it a few hours ago (Sunday) and I was messing with this Eclipse GT. I took off from a stop sign and was in first gear and hammered down and all of the sudden I had total loss of power :eek: . After a few seconds she came back but only had what I would estimate about 40 HP. No boost, no tach, nothing but the speedo and boost gauge were working. I continued on and drove it the few miles home. When I got home and shut it off smoke just rolled from under the hood. I actually thought it was on fire!! :eek: I opened the hood fast and ran around to look and the exhaust manifold was literally glowing red. IT WAS HOT!! :mad: I let it cool down for a half an hour and went and started it up. Everything was working fine exept the check engine light was on. I went ahead and pulled it into the garage and did some things around the house. About an hour later I went out and started it again and everything seemed normal. I even took it out and ran the crap out of it again and it ran like new (as it should!! lol). Any of you had the same experience? I am afraid to waste my time at the dealer. In my experience if there isn't a light on they won't know whats wrong. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Been there done that. First that was limp mode. All you need to do is pull over, turn off car, open door, close door, start car, and your good. This has happened to me a few times. Everytime was the same scenerio jumping off a light and bam its like hitting a wall. Best I can tell its something to do with either the engine boucning around in there and it either flips out the MAF sensor or the Knock sensor. I will say this has been eliminated since I have had a torque brace but Im not trying to say that was the problem but it has stopped it. Did you have hop when it happened. Im just trying to get data to show GM they have a problem.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I had wheel hop. I will let my dealer know too. It was really weird and something that should not be happening. It really freaked me out when I saw the manifold glowing red.

Thanks for the info GoofyGuy I have wanted your torque brace anyway. Looks like its time to order one!! Do they come in Yellow??

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will take it to the dealer tomorrow. I need to talk to them about the leather anyway... After really looking at the engine bay I would just get silver anyway. I will post a message in you group buy thread... THANKS AGAIN!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
No problem. I wonder if it was a knock situation or like mine It actaully said it was a crank censor fault. The Crank what is up with that.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you guys start a thread documenting all the times this has happened to owners, perhaps GM will wake the hell up and look into it. Possibly even issue a recall to fix it with a torque brace so you guys don't have to shell out money to fix what is obviously a GM quality control issue. Who knows? Maybe that will get worked into the next model.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to the dealer this afternoon and they told me it was probably the gas I was using... :rolleyes: I almost laughed at him when he said that. I even told him that the Tach stopped working when it happened. I have put over 100 miles on it today and nothing of the sort has happened since. Same tank of gas. NOT A GAS PROBLEM!! They are going to hook it up to the code reader when I get my door panel replaced so maybe I will find out more then. I will keep you posted!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried to open the door and then restart the car and none of that worked so i took mine to the dealer that i bought the car from and they found that there was a faulty crank sensor. It is only going to take them 2 days to fix.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lilracer94 said:
I tried to open the door and then restart the car and none of that worked so i took mine to the dealer that i bought the car from and they found that there was a faulty crank sensor. It is only going to take them 2 days to fix.
Thanks for the info! I have an appointment Monday to get my door panel replaced and the headliner fixed. They are supposed to check the stored codes on it then. Hopefully it will tell them something..... Glad you got your car fixed!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
This doesn't sound like the same thing you guys are talkin about, but anyways the first 2 days I had my car, a little smoke would be coming out of the engine bay after driving it home. Took it into the dealer & they told me it was prob just some paint coming off from the heat. But I never had any electrical probs w/ it, and the smoke hasn't happend since the first 2 days

·
Banned
7 Posts
i had this same problem today, and i was furious. i made it to the autozone by my house to run diagnostics, and it threw crank position sensor or system malfunction. i wonder if there is a flaw with the cps?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
7mgtboy said:
i had this same problem today, and i was furious. i made it to the autozone by my house to run diagnostics, and it threw crank position sensor or system malfunction. i wonder if there is a flaw with the cps?

Did you get wheel hop when it happened??

·
Registered
137 Posts
7mgtboy said:
Actual DTC numbers would help here. Maybe check on your repair order copy (for Toolmaker) or write them down next time you go to Autozone
Thx
WopOnTour

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my car back from the dealer today. They fixed my door panel and roof switch but didn't find any stored codes. Really nice eh? I have now put over 500 miles on it and it hasn't happened again. Hopefully it will never happen again!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts