Cobalts SS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if you guys have seen this yet either, but we have been chopping the hell outta our airboxes until a real intake is available. AEM has one coming soon for the Redline, and supposedly so does K&N. I didn't see the Cobalt listed, but I don't think I looked either. There are many threads available at the Redline forums about this subject as well. So if anyone is interested in it, pop on over and check it out, if nothing else it really lets the supercharger scream loud!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Not sure if you guys have seen this yet either, but we have been chopping the hell outta our airboxes until a real intake is available. AEM has one coming soon for the Redline, and supposedly so does K&N. I didn't see the Cobalt listed, but I don't think I looked either. There are many threads available at the Redline forums about this subject as well. So if anyone is interested in it, pop on over and check it out, if nothing else it really lets the supercharger scream loud!

Yeah i heard that K&N was in develoment of a intake for the SS and as soon as i get my SS i will be takeing off the airbox.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Yeah taking factory air boxes will make a car louder. My girlfriend has a 2.0L SOHC 1998 Neon, a very passive car. But man if you take the air box off (it won't go any faster) But I'll be damned if it dont sound like it is!!! Haha. That was the MEANEST sounding 4cyl I have EVER heard in my life, it was bad, she wouldn't let me leave it off though. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
take the box off and you'll hear that S/C whine like a little bitch...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JDMCivic said:
How do you go about chopping your airbox?

A few drill holes and smoothing out the inside ribbing usually does the trick. Beyond that, heatsoak may become an issue. Sp00ner, do the RLs have intercoolers?
There are a few prodcedures and walk-throughs, but its mainly common sense. Once you take a look at one you'll see what I mean. The airbox is a pretty big tube, and the intake for the supercharger runs right to the top of it. So people are cutting out the bottom or sides, or even the entire assembly.

Yes they have a new model Laminova air to water intercooler, which it basically part of the intake manifold. Supposed to be very effective. The Psi-fi guys are developing their twin charger kit with the stock intercooler.

·
Registered
27 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
Yeah taking factory air boxes will make a car louder. My girlfriend has a 2.0L SOHC 1998 Neon, a very passive car. But man if you take the air box off (it won't go any faster) But I'll be damned if it dont sound like it is!!! Haha. That was the MEANEST sounding 4cyl I have EVER heard in my life, it was bad, she wouldn't let me leave it off though. :(
Man drive a civic si (99,00) with an intake alone, that shit is loud.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Having had my Cavalier supercharged for 2 years now I can tell you the only intake I would run with a blower would be with the filter in the fender. Its obviously not the safest, but performs the best. Sounds SICK too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts