Cobalts SS banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any kind of special way to install an amp in a 07 cobalt ss. i have it set up and wired but i cant get the amp to turn on with the rem wire coming from the head unit. thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
What me and my friend did in mine and we actually bypassed the whole aftermarket head unit with a little bit of knowledge. We ran into problems when trying to figure out how to have the amps turn on with the car.

So eventually what we found was if you remove that strip under the door you expose a tangled mess of wires. I believe it is the big green wire that we used (I'm not 100% on it though). This wire is set so that it has no power when the car is off but when the car is on it has power. There is a tool you can buy for cheap that will be able to test the wires to see if it is a live wire or not. If you splice that wire and put your remote wire into the middle of it, it will act like a regular remote wire.

Only down side is when you turn off your car and the music is still playing, if you were to open the passenger side door, the amps will shut off and you will be left with just the speakers that are unamplified. I'm not sure if this will even affect you though because a lot of times aftermarket headunits lose power right when the car is turned off. Either way, it sure beats drilling your dash apart to install a tacky looking toggle switch then forgetting to shut it off and draining your battery.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
You could check the factory amp and see if the remote runs to it, I would use a voltmeter however, test probes can be a bad idea. But if you are unlucky the factory amp could be turned on by signal (Meaning when the factory head unit outputs a low ac voltage for audio, the amp automatically turns on.) Which you could still use relays to make that work! Just costs a lil extra.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah, we tried that. Couldn't find the amp at all. We suspect that it is built into the headunit. I know that's fucked up but we checked the entire trunk and found nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is the big fat pink wireto hook up the direct line, but i have everything installed, do i have to bypass the stock amp or what

1 - 15 of 15 Posts