Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's on the speed channel, a new episode was on last night at 6:30pm. The CobaltSS is one of the car in this!! Last nights program they took the engine apart down to the block for a total rebuild!! The episode before this they put a roll cage in it!!

Here is a link to a page that will give you some info on the challenge!!

http://www.streettunerchallenge.tv/

·
Registered
360 Posts
Excellent! Now, vid capture those epsiodes and post them for those of us who can't watch that show.

·
Registered
509 Posts
DAmn... I dont have speed!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Now, one thing is bothering me. Gm is using a new SS,no prob. Euro is using a new Jetta, no prob. So why is Japan using an old 93 GTR. A car with crazy history, after market parts availability & capable of awesome horsepower.

I dont see this a fair challenge.

How much you want to bet that the GTR wins!

Now if they had the new skyline (G35 in nissan emblems). than that would be more interesting.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YellowSXT said:
Now, one thing is bothering me. Gm is using a new SS,no prob. Euro is using a new Jetta, no prob. So why is Japan using an old 93 GTR. A car with crazy history, after market parts availability & capable of awesome horsepower.

Now if they had the new skyline (G35 in nissan emblems). than that would be more interesting.

Your right it's going to be hard to beat a GTR, but tring to beat the best is always a good thing!! Looks like the GM Performance Division has there hand full :D and the Cobalt owners will reep the reword ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've watched it a couple times but find I'm losing interest...a half-hour show for 3 different cars is way too short. You see each car for like 8 minutes tops and that's about it. If they'd made it an hour long it would have been so much better...but still nice to keep tabs on what GMP is doing from time to time.

Permafried-

·
Registered
509 Posts
But still... Japan should have used a new car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My cable company doesn't carry the Speed Channel, will this be available on DVD?

·
Registered
509 Posts
DARK AGE 53 said:
My cable company doesn't carry the Speed Channel, will this be available on DVD?

Same problem I have...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dam that sucks, that means you guys won't get to see, "Pinks" either then, right?? I wonder if they would ever do a show where a SS would race for pinks?? :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
even if japan did used something new.... what would it be? the 350z, the WRX, EVO, FTO... not a lot of choices but they all have aftermarket supposrt out the a$$.

needless to say this is a pretty one sides even the R-32 is gonna pretty much clean house, with the aftermarket support and if whoever is doing the work has any knowledge its gonna be hard to beat, stare at a rb26dett and it makes horespower

·
Registered
509 Posts
Bwuaahhahaha... Their goes the show!

·
Registered
49 Posts
YellowSXT said:

i think the major point is they're trying to beat the highly revered reputation of the GTR, or for the shows sake, compare the two new cars with the best of the old.

that was an old one though, i've been recording them on the DVR for the past month or more. the next new one is going to showcase what they're doing with the engine, and they mention they're trying to keep a sleeper look to it (they show a clip of them putting back on the supercharger, so no, they don't go turbo), while at the same time, they mention that they WILL beat the skyline. they have gotten weight down to ~2500 WITH the roll cage though, not bad.

also, they'll be unveiling the "custom" paint and interior job they're doing. should be pretty sick

·
Registered
49 Posts
you guys also forget that the cobalt has plenty of aftermarket support too, if only because of GM. all you have to do is open the tuner handbook, and you're set. the main problem is tuning for the average joe, and us guys who want to stay S/C are pretty boned. otherwise they publish cam profiles, so you can have some custom ground, you can see what they're doing with the SS grand am cup car, down to what exhaust they're running.

there is much to be done to the ecotec. there are also rumors of a 400+ hp redline with a single turbo swap running dangerously lean (we'll see when that one surfaces) and a guy putting down over 400 to the wheels for the last month with a lsj in a cavi or 'fire with a turbo swap as well.

i think GM is going to go balls to the walls on this one. they specifically stated that they WILL beat the skyline, and they're not even sweating the jetta

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. Remember they said the same thing when they had their GTO Drift car & was saying that they WILL win the drift challenge & the WILL beat the Japanese in their own turf. They qualified on the first round, but failed on the second.

Im quoting this based on their first drift challenge!

So I say.. whateva!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts