Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im one of the few that got a jacked up muffler, my dealer is replacing it free. But until i get it, i have to make due with the f*cking buzzing noise. Is there any mods out there that i can do that wont make the SS sound ricey(no offense)? Because right now with the buzzing it sounds like ass, and its getting worse. I really want to straight pipe it, but i think i read somewhere that it dosent sound to hot. But by all means, ill cut the damn thing off myself. Its just embarrasing to drive now. Any ideas? I get the replacement muffler from GM on Tuesday.. Thanks :eek:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just get an exhaust shop to build you something, best way. Magnaflow, I think, has something coming. I know they do for the Redline, and I'm pretty sure I checked for the SS as well. I'd go with something 3" all the way through...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks Doc! Doesn't sound too bad at all!! I love Magnaflow stuff. I had their muffler on my Civic and thought it sounded pretty good while not being too buzzy....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Corsa Performance will be developing a system for the SS/SC. They had an openhouse a couple of weeks ago. I asked the engineering manager about it and was told a test car has been allocated from GM but development had not started yet. So who knows when it will come out, but I plan on waiting for it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got an exhaust made at Altered Atmospehere. They will make you one too for 599 plus shipping. It's a 3 " cat back. I dunno what you mean by ricey tho. If you want a 4 cyl that doesn't sound like a 4cyl I would by a V8.

·
Registered
454 Posts
myoshizawa819 said:
Corsa Performance will be developing a system for the SS/SC. They had an openhouse a couple of weeks ago. I asked the engineering manager about it and was told a test car has been allocated from GM but development had not started yet. So who knows when it will come out, but I plan on waiting for it.
Corsa should already have a 3" setup, they made the exuast for the Cobalt Cup cars... They just musn't be selling it yet, for some reason...

·
Registered
454 Posts
ArrivalBlueSS said:
I got an exhaust made at Altered Atmospehere. They will make you one too for 599 plus shipping. It's a 3 " cat back. I dunno what you mean by ricey tho. If you want a 4 cyl that doesn't sound like a 4cyl I would by a V8.
Wow... that's alot. Stainless? Mandrel bent? Including muffler?

The local shops around here have quoted me in the $300-$400 range without seeing the car. If I bring the muffler, it's quite a bit less. I'm waiting for my header though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Corsa should already have a 3" setup, they made the exuast for the Cobalt Cup cars... They just musn't be selling it yet, for some reason...
The cup car system is a cat-less racing setup. Also, I don't know if Corsa engineered any of their resonance cancelling technology into the muffler of the cup car.

When the Corsa system for production vehicles is ready I'll be one of the first to know...I only live about 2 miles from their world HQ/manufacturing facility.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sp00ner said:

The local shops around here have quoted me in the $300-$400 range without seeing the car. If I bring the muffler, it's quite a bit less. I'm waiting for my header though.
yes yes and yes

mine is Ti tipped with silencer which are optional :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
How does one sound with just resonators and no muffler, ala SRT-4?
Shouldn't the resonators kill off some of the buzzing sound?
I know some SRT-4 folks that have removed their resonators and the car sounded like a$$ with the same buzzing noise. They put them back on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
iball said:
How does one sound with just resonators and no muffler, ala SRT-4?
Shouldn't the resonators kill off some of the buzzing sound?
I know some SRT-4 folks that have removed their resonators and the car sounded like a$$ with the same buzzing noise. They put them back on.
iball, dont compare the srt to the SS exhaust wize, the SRT has a nice turbocharger that helps to cap some of the noise off where as the SS and the S/C have no effect except to make it louder, I can attest that the SS without the silencer in the muffler but with the resonator is obnoxious! ;)
Reason that SRT's can get away with the no muffler thing is the Turbo and the stock resonator...otherwise lookout, but when you step up to a larger exhaust then all bets are off as the srt gets louder!

·
Registered
360 Posts
ss_sc_cobalt said:
awful, dont compare the srt to the SS exhaust wize, the SRT has a nice turbocharger that helps to cap some of the noise off where as the SS and the S/C have no effect except to make it louder, I can attest that the SS without the silencer in the muffler but with the resonator is obnoxious! ;)
Reason that SRT's can get away with the no muffler thing is the Turbo and the stock resonator...otherwise lookout, but when you step up to a larger exhaust then all bets are off as the srt gets louder!
Ah, yes, thanks. Doh! I feel stupid. Just went over in my brain how both a SC and turbo function...duh, I pwned myself. :)
The turbo runs off the exhaust so of course it helps "muffle" the sound. The SC runs off the engine itself, not the exhaust. SO what works for one will NOT work for the other.
Magnaflow muffler to the rescue!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Altered Atmosphere is a pretty reputable shop around the MD/VA area. They tune MANY MANY MANY 3000GT's and Stealths.

I am just not sure if they have a mandrel bender, but I if I had to guess it would be yes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sp00ner said:

Stainless steel, mandrel bent, with the muffler and resinator. If you get anything thats strait through make sure you put on a big resinator.

·
Registered
126 Posts
midnght said:
Altered Atmosphere is a pretty reputable shop around the MD/VA area. They tune MANY MANY MANY 3000GT's and Stealths.

I am just not sure if they have a mandrel bender, but I if I had to guess it would be yes.
They showed me around the shop and they showed me a mandrel bender. I can also tell you my exhaust has no crimps in the bends, the exhaust is a couple bucks but I think it was definetly worth it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What size is the stock system?
How bad is it? Any one got pictures?
Haven't got my car yet, but for sure I'll crawl under and have a look.
I can build my own mandrel system, but not with stainless.

Magnaflow mufflers are good.

BTW, a 2.5" system will support 250hp with no loss. 3" is probably best reserved for 300hp.

Also, how bad is the stock header/manifold? Is it a cast part, or tubular?

Ron

·
Registered
126 Posts
498Nova said:
What size is the stock system?
How bad is it? Any one got pictures?
Haven't got my car yet, but for sure I'll crawl under and have a look.
I can build my own mandrel system, but not with stainless.

Magnaflow mufflers are good.

BTW, a 2.5" system will support 250hp with no loss. 3" is probably best reserved for 300hp.

Also, how bad is the stock header/manifold? Is it a cast part, or tubular?

Ron

Pictures

In a box with the newer (quieter resinator)

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4376

Cobalt SS/SC installed. Please note that has the old version/smaller resinator.
http://www.cobaltss.org/gallery/catbacksssc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts