Cobalts SS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shown a link to the ford australlian site I took a look, found something interesting. On Ford's falcon model, you can get an engine that runs on LPG, or Liquefied Petroleum Gas. This translates to "10% less carbon dioxide at the exhaust pipe, up to 30% fewer smog forming emissions"

Wait a minute, so Austrialia has an alternative fuel? Appearntly they do, and frankly if Aussie can manage to get a what appear to be natural gas based cars on the road, and give them places to fill up, what is taking the US so long? Ford has the technoledgy, yet I have herd nothing of it being brough to use over here. Ford claims a 38% increase in fuel savings, over gasoline and diesel.

Granted I don't know what environment issues Aussie has, but I doubt they are more than that of the US, so why is Australia able to do something and yet the US is appearntly dumbfounded, shooting in the dark to try and get hyrdrodgen to work. Why not simply borrow the system from another country?

Ford Falcon E-gas website

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well, people aren't going to buy alternative fuel vehicles if the fuel is hard to come by, and gas stations aren't going to offer alternative fuels if there are only a small number of people driving the autos.

It's the same reason that it's taken so long for HDTV television sets to start showing up in mass numbers. No one wants to invest big $$'s in a tv if there are few, if any broadcasts in HDTV, and television stations don't want to switch to HDTV broadcasts if they're aren't many people with the tv's that can watch them. The government of Japan had forced the big stations to broadcast in HDTV about 10 years ago, and so of course, just about every tv sold in Japan for years is HDTV.

The same will probably have to be done with alternative fuels. The government will have to step in and force manufacturers to produce a certain percentage of these vehicles, and force stations to carry the fuel.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
I think there are (will be) other ways to make just as much power, with less emissions and with a fuel that is renewable (oil takes so long to create it is considered a non-renewable resource) but it will take time and research. I mean look at the very first cars. I'm pretty sure our hybrids of today can out accelerate them, and will be able to have much more performance in the long run. The only thing that bothers me is that they loose their cool factor because they will lack that cool V8 sound! Can you imagine how funny it would be to see an electric car run like an 11 sec 1/4 mile >whhiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrRRRrrrrrrrr< LOL It would sound like a fly buzzin by LOL!!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
I think there are (will be) other ways to make just as much power, with less emissions and with a fuel that is renewable (oil takes so long to create it is considered a non-renewable resource) but it will take time and research. I mean look at the very first cars. I'm pretty sure our hybrids of today can out accelerate them, and will be able to have much more performance in the long run. The only thing that bothers me is that they loose their cool factor because they will lack that cool V8 sound! Can you imagine how funny it would be to see an electric car run like an 11 sec 1/4 mile >whhiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrRRRrrrrrrrr< LOL It would sound like a fly buzzin by LOL!!

LOL i know my uncle used to have a Toyota Hybrid Prius. It was so weird to ride in there was absoulty no sound when going like 35mph. I like hearing my engine atleast then you can tell what might be worng with your car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts