Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a couple days after buying my car that the headlights behind me turned dark blue when they got close to me, and when they backed off, it was normal again. I figured out our cars must have auto dim rearviews! hey, that's pretty cool :cool: Never mentions this on thw sitcker, any review, or anything. And what's more strange is that this is a nice option on many vehicles, but apperas to be standard with us! Anyone confirm this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
I almost wanna say "duh"..... but you probably havent been in a lot of GM vehicles, and ive been in a ton. Soon as i got in the car i noticed it was a dimmer (little green light means its active).

Cool nonetheless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, so Onstar gives you a little bonus :D And yes, this is my first GM. I grew up Ford and Toyota
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Far as I know, all On* mirrors are autodimming. They're a pain in the ass when they break, there's wierd acidy liquid that drips out and eats your center console and carpet. (They break a lot, trust me, I'm sure one of the GTP or Buick dudes here can get my back on this one.)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Our Red Lines don't come with OnStar mirrors (so no auto dimming) :( I don't know if any Saturns come have OnStar? I thought some do...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Dan Richards said:
Far as I know, all On* mirrors are autodimming. They're a pain in the ass when they break, there's wierd acidy liquid that drips out and eats your center console and carpet. (They break a lot, trust me, I'm sure one of the GTP or Buick dudes here can get my back on this one.)

yeah it's gotta be the onstar package... that and g85 was the only thing i didn't get and i have the normal mirror
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Does the On* package hinder removal of the stock stereo?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,648 Posts
On the cars that do have onstar you can remove the radio, if the onstar ceases to work afterwards there is a harness you can buy to make it work again. Oh and yeah thats sweet that it comes with the dimming mirror!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
They're called electro-chromic mirrors. And yes, only the mirrors that come with the OnStar package are electro-chromatic. No OnStar means you get to use the little tab on the bottom instead. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
jpapa said:
Our Red Lines don't come with OnStar mirrors (so no auto dimming) :( I don't know if any Saturns come have OnStar? I thought some do...
The normal ION sedan has this option WITHOUT OnStar but I don't think it was even an option for us. Oh well, I think I still will be able to sleep at night knowing all I have to do is flip a little tab :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
OnStar saves me $1600-$1800* a year on car insurance. Definitely worth the $100 a year!

* About 22%
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, my insurance went down when i bought this car. I paid $115/mo. for my focus, and I only pay $80/mo. for this car..doesn't make sense, but that's what it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
DanM said:
What the hell?? You're telling me you pay over $7000/yr?!
I pay about $420 a month. Geico quoted me at $8250 or so. I live in New Jersey. I deal with rediculous insurance rates. I did a lot of dumb stuff while I had my Mitsubishi. If I didn't do so much dumb stuff*, I'd still be paying about $260 a month.

* Dumb stuff:
Speeding x5, Streetracing, Careless driving, Reckless driving x2, Endangering fellow motorists, Passing in median, Passing in breakdown lane, Failure to pull over in a timely manner, Stunting x3, Noise ordinance violation x5, Failure to comply with emissions regulations, Failure to yield, Participating in illegal racing competition, Distruction of public property x2... The list goes on.

But I ain't never been to jail! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Dan Richards said:
I pay about $420 a month. Geico quoted me at $8250 or so. I live in New Jersey. I deal with rediculous insurance rates. I did a lot of dumb stuff while I had my Mitsubishi. If I didn't do so much dumb stuff*, I'd still be paying about $260 a month.

* Dumb stuff:
Speeding x5, Streetracing, Careless driving, Reckless driving x2, Endangering fellow motorists, Passing in median, Passing in breakdown lane, Failure to pull over in a timely manner, Stunting x3, Noise ordinance violation x5, Failure to comply with emissions regulations, Failure to yield, Participating in illegal racing competition, Distruction of public property x2... The list goes on.

But I ain't never been to jail! :D
Oh my sweet dick! You got the works goin there, eh? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
DanM said:
Oh my sweet dick! You got the works goin there, eh? ;)
Haha yeah. I've done just about every dumb thing in the book, except hit another car. I destroyed a fence and part of a barn and some front yards here and there, but I never hit another car.

Remember: Water + Drifting = Bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol damn. I would just buy a '75 toyota truck, and only have liability if i had to pay that much!
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top