Cobalts SS banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way of disabling the automatic headlights? Not with just the switch because even when I do the "Auto lights off" when I take the e-brake off the headlights will still go on even if its not dark out, but after a certain time. Say I go out at 9pm and its still not dark at all the headlights will turn on when I take the e-brake off. I want my headlights to go on only when I switch them on, anyone know how I can do this? A guy I know with an SRT4 said his was just a fuse, but Im wondering what its like for our Cobalts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
REIGNftSOLDIER said:
...um ur headlight comming on are the daytime running lights that are standard for safety. They arent your full on bright headlights, y do you wanna disable them?
Well I'm talking about the full on bright headlights that come on even when it's not dark out at like 9pm right now, I still want the daytimes on, but just not the full on bright headlights that's what I want to disable. I don't care I'll switch them when it starts getting dark, I just dont want the full on bright headlights when its still basically broad daylight.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
just turn the switch back. do it after you take off the ebrake and they will turn off and stay off until you turn them on or turn the car off and then back on. it will turn the daytime running lamps off though. but i usually turn them off when i drive anyway since they're ugly :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iso said:
just turn the switch back. do it after you take off the ebrake and they will turn off and stay off until you turn them on or turn the car off and then back on. it will turn the daytime running lamps off though. but i usually turn them off when i drive anyway since they're ugly :)
Yeah I tried that, still the full on bright headlights wont turn off! :(

·
Registered
765 Posts
In the U.S. the lights will stay off when you turn the switch. I think I have heard that in Canada it is law that your headlights must be on when driving?? I believe that the cars are different in that way. But who knows... LOL I could be wrong..... :D

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
yeah when i turn the swtich back even at night when the the headlights are on, they turn off. maybe it's different in canada?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Im pretty sure its different in Canada, I'm thinking when it does start to get that time when it will get dark that the headlights have to turn on, but like even when its after a certain time and its summer its still super bright out the headlights are still on even when i turn the switch back thats what annoys me, oh well. It doesnt do that in the afternoon though, whatever, I've learned to live with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well everyone had plenty of questions asking why you want to do this. What if you install a HID kit and don't want to waste your bulbs? I personally hate daytime running lights and would love to disable them.

On the old cavaliers it was pretty simply to disable them (just unplugged the ebrake wire which would turn the dash light on, you simply put a peice of tape over the light in the dash and you never seen it). I haven't tried that yet with my cobalt but I really want those lights disabled.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Could be...I wouldnt care. I'd be like.. "YA SEE ME NOW YA YANKS?!!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, I found the DRL thing annoying so I removed the fuse for that. Still not please with the fact that the auto lights came on at dusk I looked up some other forums and found out the resistance across the photocell during daylight. After installing a 1k resistor instead of the photocell seemed to do the trick. They still turn on when I turn them on. I have drawings if anyone wants the auto lights off with the option a self-reset.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts