Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my buddy has finally built his Cobalt SS to the point that he wanted to run me and find out just how fast he was. So we headed down to Cecil County Drag strip two fridays ago. He has every bolt on imaginable plus a 75 shot to make things interesting! I told him he's going to break the balt but he just says if I can beat you it'll be worth it. I was on full slicks and he had some BFG DR's. We both do our burnout and stage. Lights drop and we both get a good launch! Me=1.8 60, Him 1.9 60! I start to pull and dont look back but our buddys that were watching say it was pretty close. We get the slips and it was pretty close. I ran 12.5 at 114 (Not near my best) and the Balt ran a 12.8 at 110!:eek:Fastest time I've ever seen for a Cobalt SS! The good news is he's about out of tricks. So hopefully he doen't get the driver mod over me. One of our buddies has an 07 stang GT and was laughing at Mr. SS about how he got smoked. The guy in the Balt says lets go! Now Mr. Mustang has to put up or shut up!. He's got intake, exhaust, tune and pulleys & thinks he's real fast. They line up and the lights drop. It wasn't pretty for Mr. Mustang. He lost by 4/10's but it looked alot worse! they ran 12.9 at 109 to the mustangs 13.3 at 106! Mr. SS has come along way, when he got the car he was running high 14's stock. Now he's got a 12 second street monster.:D

·
Registered
597 Posts
A few folks on the .net have seen mid-high 12's in the 112-115mph range.

That is the reason I got rid of my SS/SC though. It has to be built to the balls to run high 12's. That includes firmer mounts and usually an exhaust that belongs on the Fast and Furious.

Thats one thing I like about the SRT-4, it can do the same and look and sound 100% stock.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He does have just about everything on earth replaced but I never seen a 12 second Cobalt before so it's awesome to see someone built a car to max potential.

·
Registered
143 Posts
very cool. nice run

·
Registered
22 Posts
He does have just about everything on earth replaced but I never seen a 12 second Cobalt before so it's awesome to see someone built a car to max potential.
Can you give us a list of his mods...please! I would like to know what you consider maxxed out. Are we talking 10.1 pistons, valve job, headstuds, etc?

Or do you just mean every bolt-on, suspension/solid motor mount, etc available
But I do agree with you, damn SRT's can hit 350WHP no problem, only a couple cobalt/redlines have done that and most blowup.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i met an awesome skittle owner over the weekend. @ E-Town(orange - running 12.80's)
he gave me some sweet advice that helped me break into the 13's

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well my buddy has finally built his Cobalt SS to the point that he wanted to run me and find out just how fast he was. So we headed down to Cecil County Drag strip two fridays ago. He has every bolt on imaginable plus a 75 shot to make things interesting! I told him he's going to break the balt but he just says if I can beat you it'll be worth it. I was on full slicks and he had some BFG DR's. We both do our burnout and stage. Lights drop and we both get a good launch! Me=1.8 60, Him 1.9 60! I start to pull and dont look back but our buddys that were watching say it was pretty close. We get the slips and it was pretty close. I ran 12.5 at 114 (Not near my best) and the Balt ran a 12.8 at 110!:eek:Fastest time I've ever seen for a Cobalt SS! The good news is he's about out of tricks. So hopefully he doen't get the driver mod over me. One of our buddies has an 07 stang GT and was laughing at Mr. SS about how he got smoked. The guy in the Balt says lets go! Now Mr. Mustang has to put up or shut up!. He's got intake, exhaust, tune and pulleys & thinks he's real fast. They line up and the lights drop. It wasn't pretty for Mr. Mustang. He lost by 4/10's but it looked alot worse! they ran 12.9 at 109 to the mustangs 13.3 at 106! Mr. SS has come along way, when he got the car he was running high 14's stock. Now he's got a 12 second street monster.:D
if you actually read the post, you would see that he said bolt ons, and a 75 shot...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you give us a list of his mods...please! I would like to know what you consider maxxed out. Are we talking 10.1 pistons, valve job, headstuds, etc?

Or do you just mean every bolt-on, suspension/solid motor mount, etc available
But I do agree with you, damn SRT's can hit 350WHP no problem, only a couple cobalt/redlines have done that and most blowup.
Well, I ment bolt-ons but From what I've been told by other cobalt owners the stock SS motor is good for 300HP before there's problems. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I was told they have a problem with piston rings when they get over 300 HP. I know a fully built Ecotec is good for crazy HP. 1000 plus is not unreasonable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reply to the Bad SS vs. The beast

What bolt-ons did your boy with the SS have because I'm trying to find out what the best bult-on products are without waisting any money

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok heres a list. N/X nitrous system 75 shot. vibrant performance stainless header, Vibrant 3 inch exhaust. AEM cold air intake. GM performance stage 2. B&M short throw shifter. Bwoody traction bar. Bwoody solid motor mounts. BFG drag radials on cheap pep boys aluminum wheels. And the nitrous tune not sure who did it. hopes this helps. but I can tell you from personal experience the tires and the suspension mods are the biggest things he did to get into the 12's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok heres a list. N/X nitrous system 75 shot. vibrant performance stainless header, Vibrant 3 inch exhaust. AEM cold air intake. GM performance stage 2. B&M short throw shifter. Bwoody traction bar. Bwoody solid motor mounts. BFG drag radials on cheap pep boys aluminum wheels. And the nitrous tune not sure who did it. hopes this helps. but I can tell you from personal experience the tires and the suspension mods are the biggest things he did to get into the 12's.
I agree. Other than the nitrous his mods are rather conservative. Countless people have the same mods he has! A couple guys have what he has PLUS, bigger 60# injectors, a tiny 2.6 pulley, catless downpipe, ported/polished supercharger, 10.1 pistons, headstuds, and a MUCH more aggressive tune. I don't think any of those guys are in the 12's yet but I also don't know how much track time they have with all the mods.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i think the supercharger it self is the biggest thing hurting our cars as it puts more strain on the engine then a turbo does. there is at least 1 turbo cobalt and i kno there are a few more redlines. the cobalt was getting 340ish hp 330ish tq at the wheels and still on stock internals with a very safe tune and a stock clutch that was slipping to hell. i think they replaced the clutch and gained 10 or so whp. and all of this was done for probly not much more then your friend spent on his balt bluebeast
A couple guys have what he has PLUS, bigger 60# injectors, a tiny 2.6 pulley, catless downpipe, ported/polished supercharger, 10.1 pistons, headstuds, and a MUCH more aggressive tune.
im not sure why you would go with higher compression pistons i think stock are 9.5.1 higher compression would only increase strain and at 19-20psi that could be very dangerous

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
i didnt mean to come across as stupid if you were referring to me
but i was talking to someone about it and they told me the more compression on boosted cars is bad. if thats not true then i need to check my sources and didnt mean to give miss leading information. would anyone mind explaining it to me then as i want to kno.
the piont i wanted to get across was the internals can handle more with a turbo then with an SC. as there are a few out there well over the 300whp mark still on stock internals

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The remarks weren't directed at you. And yes I agree with you a turbo charger would have made more sense for the cobalt. I personally hope GM puts the Satarn Sky motor in the Cobalts in the future. I think GM used the supercharger because they were trying to be different and distance them self from the fast & furious (Ricer) cars that were popular at the time yet they wanted to appeal to younger buyers. As usual they got it wrong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts