Cobalts SS banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well over the weekend my brother me and a few friends installed sportlines on my car. As of now I don't like them they are good on a smooth road but theres almost no smooth roads. On the rougher roads its bouncy so they maybe gone by the weekend. I never even planned on modding this car it is supposed to be low car payment during college. But my friend sold them to my brother and they don't fit a redline so he gave them to me.
Before-

After- Car is pretty dirty and the pictures arent the best

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
looks good , do whats best for the car, and your driving enviornment determine your decision

but as i said looks good

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I wish my brother and friends could understand yes maybe it looks nice but if the ride is bad I dont want to keep them on. It seems like the ride is stiffer now. Today I took the accord to go register for class and the ride was night and day. I like the looks and handling but I don't know if I can deal with being jolted over every small thing in the road. I want to see if I can take the redline out later and compare.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
i lowered my 03 cavy (when i had it ) and it took me 2 weeks and i put stock springs back on

sometimes its not worth messing a good car up

your cobalt , not the cavy, it wasnt worth it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you noticed that the paint on your bumpers does not match the paint on the car?? Just noticed that in your sig.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me? I dont have a sig. But these pictures arent the best I turned done the exposure compensation on the camera before hand. That lets in less light and these pictures were not taken in even lighting, just a few quick pictures.
And about it being bouncy that pretty much went away its now more sitff than stock which I expected. As of now I'll live them on longer before I make up my mind. I was in my friends wrx tonight which has coilovers on it and wow that was a rough ride.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
coilovers should be renamed to ''rough rider springs" - for those who dont mind hitting their head on the roof ,on the smallest bump ever

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha well I love road racing f1, dtm, le mans, rolex, motogp I even went to the 24hours of rolex last year. But when it comes to practical use vs. comfort you have to weight in how many track days you will do and how rough the ride is. And really you could feel every bump he says he is used to it now but he only wanted the coilovers to lower his car he wont ever do any track days the most he will do is run the 1/4mile. For me is turning out giving them some time to set in has helped them and it dosent feel so bad now but I can't believe what some people will deal with for only street driving.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
i know what you mean

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my dad took it for a ride came back and said it was perfectly smooth. I guess I'm just crazy :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
hmm pretty nice man youre not crazy my friend's rides like a freakin go cart especially on the notoriously rough roads around here but i guess its up to the way you like your car to feel but again they look nice

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
you need a higher rate shock absorber, such as the ones found on the ss s/c or ss. that will fix your bouncing issue. also make sure you cut the bump stops correctly in the front and rear, that makes a HUGE difference if not done right

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that's why I was reluctant in doing these springs because a 2inch drop on stock shocks is a lot. And I didn't touch the bump stops I left them stock and theres not a problem with bottoming out. The bouncy is pretty much all gone now but I still only have like 200ish miles on them.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
yea thats definatly the issue. the springs have a progressive spring rate, which means they get stiffer as they compress. once they get to a certain point, they dont fully collapse but travel their max for the max wieght being forced on them, such as in a large bump. so if the bumps arent cut, the spring cant travel to its fully collapsed position, which will be stiff but it wont slam. its designed that way. also the shocks are very "easy going" on that car, so a 2" will defeat them lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I've done shocks and coilovers before never had to touch the bumpstops before and well I still haven't. I know what it feels like when you bottom out(never done it in the cobalt) and I've gone over some large bumps. As for the shocks yeah your mixing economy shocks with "performance springs" if you want to call it, pretty stupid when you think about it. And also like I said the ride has changed since I put them on. Compared to the redline its softer ride not by a whole but it is. Since they were a gift along with an alignment I'm not going to touch them till after christmas if I do decide that they come off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts