Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
i hope the clutch in the cobalt isnt as shitty as the clutch in the scrapalier feels...all mushy and shit

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bah, who needs slicks.

Best time in the SRT-4 is on the stock street tires, with the PSI I daily drive in them (~28)

2.05 60', [email protected] MPH @ 4400 ft. elevation (El Paso, TX)

So, with a good driver powershifting every gear and getting a good launch, 98 can yield a 13 second quarter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
td1042k said:
i hope the clutch in the cobalt isnt as shitty as the clutch in the scrapalier feels...all mushy and shit
I agree the 00 cavalier I had was pretty poopy. This car looks promosing...I cant wait for guy in my car club to get one so we can start modding.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nocturn said:
It's all going to be in the launch, SLP got a 13.1 in the 04 GTO when most are getting mid 13's. But I believe they burnt through a whole clutch to get it.
I agree with that, seems like most of the stock SRT4's are running 14.0's and the ones that actually hit the 13.7 mark stock had 60ft times that were in the 2.0 range.

·
Registered
60 Posts
its all about the driver and how much clutch material you have to burn. JUST DON'T HOP THE TIRES!! thats the worst thing you can do to the drive train.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are going to try to get quick times i think its a good idea to be ready to invest in a new clutch.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I disagree... you dont have to burn up a clutch to get good times. It's part clutch, and part throttle. If you arent putting 100% of your power through the clutch (while its slipping) -- you wont be burning it up.

Launching is all technique.... part throtlee, part clutch, part track conditions, part luck.

I'm still on my stock clutch (in the SRT-4) and its holding up great... >11k miles on it, and I've cut multiple 2.0 60' times at different tracks, with the stock tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
According to GM they said the Saturn Redline runs 14.5 in the quarter mile, and the cobalt SS will run 2 tenths slower therfore it will be 14.7. But Sport Compact Car says the Redline runs 15.2 at sea level. Other magazines tested the Redline and ran anywhere from 15.0 to 15.5. So my opinion is that GM is over reting their performance times. Whats up with that?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not really anything wrong with the cars, the only time you gonna see good times is when the lazy Red Line owners go to the track instead of making videos of their cars. rip a 2.0 60ft then you will see what they are capable of.

Magazine testing usually nets them 2.3+ 60ft short times. they test on streets not well preppared. Also the faster to the 1/8th the better the 1/4 will be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've read 14.5-14.7 in a lot of magazines. These 15.2-15.5 runs people heard of make no sense. In my old car (that just got written off) the best I did was a 15.2 @88.92MPH. It was a 2003 Alero with the 5-speed and ecotec engine. I only had a CAI, Catback exhaust and lowering springins on it.
We have very low elevation here at the tracks around toronto and I am sure with few or no mods the SS will be in the 13's. And all those SRT-4's may be quicker, but the other 99.9% of the time when they are not at the track and driving there cloth seated, Neon interior cars, I'll be enjoying my leather and upgraded interior.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts