Cobalts SS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can give me a second opinion on whether my car should have a brake upgrade, as a friend of mine keeps insisting. I'm driving a 2007 Cobalt SS coupe, with a swapped-in Hahn turbo and exhaust system, putting out about 380 hp at the engine and 330 at the wheels. Apart from a short shifter, everything else is standard equipment and seems to operating fine. But this friend of mine keeps telling me that I've got to replace the standard brakes with more serious stuff. Is he right? The car has had no trouble stopping so far, but I haven't had to hit the brakes suddenly while traveling at a high rate of speed. Bill Hahn said nothing to me about upgrading the brakes, only that I should have a heavier duty clutch installed when the current one starts to slip. Thoughts from out there in forum land would be appreciated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would eventually grab some new brakes, its always a wise choice to upgrade your stopping power when adding power. Might try new rotors, like a slotted type and grab some Hawk HPS pads or something like that. I have upgraded rotors I want to put on my SS but am waiting till I get some pads(hawks) which I need to do, especially after my trip to Va this weekend, really curvy roads and more braking than normal.

·
1,087 Posts
Beamer is exactly right. Factory breaks from what I heard is rated @ 400hp from the Brembos (TC only). @ 300hp from the factory on 2005-2007 SCs.

Off topic a little bit but still want to address, thank you both for posting questions here for I hope that we give good feedback for all our new and existing members. I know your join date is quite a ways back but we welcome you back Beamer. ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yea, got bored with the other forums, needed a change and wanted to see if this place was still kicking alittle :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts