Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im going to sound like a total n00b but i dont care
if someone wanted to do a burnout in their front wheel drive car with manual transmission with the e-brake on, would that totally F anything up??

·
Registered
441 Posts
ok, yes and no. No burnout is good for the car. It may help to heat tires prior to a drag run, but still not good for the car. I would advise against it. If you really want to, set the e-brake, hold like 4k rpms, and drop the clutch. You should be able to get the front wheels to spin pretty easy. Then release the e-brake and go. You do stand a chance of breaking something when you pop the clutch, like an engine mount or something. There is a possibility of a transmission or axle failure with repeated abuse. What you choose to do is up to you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Modern quality cars should have 4 wheel discs thus you should be able to do it without touching the e-brake. Also if its a quality car like I'd hope the cobalt is you should be able to drop the clutch without doing any damage except maybe wear the clutch out faster. I use to drop and abuse my clutch in my V6 mustang daily and it never broke anything though the clutch wore out faster. Now I have an auto :( and miss the fun. E-brakes are garbage I think everyone of my friends's are broken including my own.

If you are truely a noob and wish to know how to do it with regular brake this is how.

1. Heel of right foot on brake

2. Toe of right foot on gas

3. Left foot on clutch :rolleyes:

4. Lightly press brake with heel while reving engine with toes

5. Drop clutch as fast as you can obviously in 1st gear

6. Rock right foot back and forth to regulate gas to brake ratio for optimum effect

Also if you have any type of traction control turn it off otherwise it probably won't work.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok yeah it is a 06 Cobalt SS and it has discs all around, but i was just wondering how to do a standing burnout...i've popped the clutch a couple times but i want to do one badass burnout because there wasnt a lot of smoke and i just want to do one badass stand still burnout without moving forward as much as i did when i popped the clutch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can't use the standard "hold the brake and dump the clutch" on a front wheel drive.

This is how I blew my 2nd half shaft.

If you want to do a burnout:

Pull the parking brake up as far as it will go

Rev the engine; high.

Release the clutch, floor it immediately after.

Bounce off the rev limiter, as your tires smoke

Release parking brake.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yea, I admit I've only used my method on RWD cars, I was guessing it might work for FWD but what do I know I've never owned one. :cool: Wonder if you can do donuts in FWD cars??? :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
bzack said:
Yea, I admit I've only used my method on RWD cars, I was guessing it might work for FWD but what do I know I've never owned one. :cool: Wonder if you can do donuts in FWD cars??? :confused:
With the ebrake locked you can spin around in almost PERFECT circles given the car has the power to sling its ass end out cause it sure aint gonna push it out like a rwd car would.... but i still dont know if Id call it a donut.... not in TRUE fashion anyways....

·
Registered
198 Posts
bzack said:
Modern quality cars should have 4 wheel discs thus you should be able to do it without touching the e-brake. Also if its a quality car like I'd hope the cobalt is you should be able to drop the clutch without doing any damage except maybe wear the clutch out faster. I use to drop and abuse my clutch in my V6 mustang daily and it never broke anything though the clutch wore out faster. Now I have an auto :( and miss the fun. E-brakes are garbage I think everyone of my friends's are broken including my own.

If you are truely a noob and wish to know how to do it with regular brake this is how.

1. Heel of right foot on brake

2. Toe of right foot on gas

3. Left foot on clutch :rolleyes:

4. Lightly press brake with heel while reving engine with toes

5. Drop clutch as fast as you can obviously in 1st gear

6. Rock right foot back and forth to regulate gas to brake ratio for optimum effect

Also if you have any type of traction control turn it off otherwise it probably won't work.
This is known as POWER BRAKING with a manual

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thank you all for your input, I feel like the biggest n00b ever hahahah :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
using the e brake around turns helps the front wheel drivers drift too. just thought id throw that out there for ya

·
Registered
385 Posts
my "self adjusting" e-brake is way loose due to many manuvers such as these, but let me tell you this car can get some mad drifting fun in the right kind of snow. Now the wrong texture of snow may give your car a black eye, not like I would know or anything.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i tried to ebrake around a stop light turn at 60mph, it started to slide the ass end around but as soon as i droped the ebrake it went straight again. Almost like i slowed down to 5mph to take the turn normaly it huged the road so well.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
xCobalt05x said:
i tried to ebrake around a stop light turn at 60mph, it started to slide the ass end around but as soon as i droped the ebrake it went straight again. Almost like i slowed down to 5mph to take the turn normaly it huged the road so well.
no offense but that is stupid to be doing on public roads. you can NOT drift a fwd car. stop watching the new f&tf movie.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well did the burnout with the e-brake on I must say it was a LOT better than when I did a burnout without the e-brake on. 3 pics first pic is e-brake not on, other 2 e-brake on. Plus a link to the vid. BTW this is the last burnout I will be doing for a looooong time!!

SMMMMOKE!!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
xCobalt05x said:
This is known as POWER BRAKING with a manual
Funny how everyone has a name for it and everyone stresses how thiers is the right one. Power braking, brake stands, brake burns, burnout, plz people spare me. I should start describing everything in pictures so save me trouble. :mad:

Oh if you do it alot make sure you check your tire or tires if you have a good differential. As cool as slicks are, I don't think homemade ones are that safe. Also good to clean the rubber shavings out from under the wheel wells, can get some nasty build up in there from doing those. :cool:

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can't powerbrake with a manual, duh.

Powerbraking is on automatics, you hold the brake and rev the engine to get the torque converter loaded up; giving you a springy launch when the brake is released.

·
Registered
385 Posts
tube said:
You can't powerbrake with a manual, duh.

Powerbraking is on automatics, you hold the brake and rev the engine to get the torque converter loaded up; giving you a springy launch when the brake is released.
but you can still brake torque ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
As much as I would LOVE to do a smoky burnout, this stuff seems WAAYY to scary for me. I really cherish my car and would die if i broke something while trying to show off. But heres a question;

How much will a burnout help track times at a quarter mile drag strip in the SS/SC? Does it contribute that much to your track time where it is actually worth the wear on the engine and clutch? (ie bouncing off the rev limiter)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts