Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an auto 07 with the 2.2 engine. As Im accelerating up a hill and going about 40-50 miles per hour the rpms will go up and down. Im wondering what could be the trouble? Are there any computer updates that need to be done for the pcm/ecm?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you sure the tranny isn't "hunting" for overdrive? It could be that you're right at the point where the TCM wants to put it into OD but then the engine torque isn't up to the demand and it downshifts again. Try driving uphill with the transmission selector in "I" -- this will take the tranny to 3rd gear -- and see if you get the same up-and-down RPM fluctuations. If the RPM doesn't go up-and-down then it may just be "hunting" - (for want of a better word..lol). If the RPM does go up-and-down I'd take it to the dealer and let them know you have a problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Exactly why I don't like automatics, they never shift when you want to and always when you don't. Sounds like it might be a problem though, but I've never driven an auto cobalt. My sugestion is, buy a manual cobalt.
Actually the "I" is pretty neat -- it's worded as for "spirited" driving...lol. It is not the old conventional "2nd gear". The tranny stays in gear longer between shifts, downshifts automatically to provide engine braking, and prevents the tranny from going into OD. I've gotten to like it a lot -- my feeling is that a "motorhead" or "gearhead" at GM was involved in this idea. I'd bet if you drove one around town where the speed limits are low you'd get to like it too. Not smart to drive it that way at high speed cause you will kill your gas mileage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Reminds me of my original transmission, 3 speed auto, no overdrive, I changed the shift point controller to my liking and it was kinda like what you described. I still went to manual, while I'm glad they are making better and better automatics for everyone else, I don't want them :p. As some old irish lady said once to a friend..."Only invalids drive automatics" :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Only invalids drive automatics" :D
Lol....that would mean that some 80+% of us Americans are, since the automatic is the preferred option on trannys:p .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yea people in America and Canada mostly drive automatics, most people don't even know how to drive a manual but in Europe you get made fun of if you can't drive a manual. Automatics are great if you just want to go from A to B but if you like to control your car or race or anything like that, manual is the way to go. Which is why I spent a crap load of cash switching mine over. I get better fuel efficiency than before also.

·
The HepKitty
1,329 Posts
Man, one click of that spam decimator button and not only are every single one of your posts deleted, you're banned too.

Love it. :D

I used that function A few times here...

heh, it was rather fun....

But you hate to do it, one always hopes we can get some good members here, regardless of car perference...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Man, one click of that spam decimator button and not only are every single one of your posts deleted, you're banned too.

Love it. :D

I hope you weren't refering to me. I joined the forums because I was concidering a cobalt as an everyday car, I decided otherwise but still own a chevrolet and like to talk to people outside of just the chevelle guys. Heck, I even post on mustang forums because I used to own a mustang.

·
The HepKitty
1,329 Posts
I hope you weren't refering to me. I joined the forums because I was concidering a cobalt as an everyday car, I decided otherwise but still own a chevrolet and like to talk to people outside of just the chevelle guys. Heck, I even post on mustang forums because I used to own a mustang.
He isn't refering to you, rather he is refering to a idiot troll that owns GTO and thinks he's the fastest of the fast.

Him and his posts are toast..

·
Site Moderator
3,724 Posts
Like LittleMT said, it was directed at a troll who's posts I deleted that you can't view. You, sir, are golden. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeez I didnt know I would have gotten this post to be so long lol. I kinda wish I would have gotten me a manual transmission cobalt. Isnt there a tsb though for the auto trans on the 07?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
He isn't refering to you, rather he is refering to a idiot troll that owns GTO and thinks he's the fastest of the fast.

Him and his posts are toast..
That's the best news I've read on this forum in a while! :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Autos are nice, I kinda miss my Lincoln LS because it was auto, of course traffic gets bad around here so its nice to not have to get a work out shifting plus the Lincoln was a v8 and had plenty of power to make it a fun auto. But I do like having a manual again, none of that hassle w/ the tranny making the shifting decision.

If you want a car that changes rpms like its eating skittles, get a ford fusion 4 banger. God, that car well go from 2300 rpm to 5000 in a second just by giving it a tad bit more gas. And on long trips and being in cruise control mode, get ready to see the rpms change and hear the 2.3L alot. Told the parents to get the v6 atleast but nooo, haha.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I like the auto on the Nissan Maxima I rented a while back. It was a 3.5 V6. It seemed to have a nice manual mode and was a blast to drive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I the only "nice" auto-stick I've seen so far has been in the C6 vette. Everything else is kinda blah.

And honestly... what does your run-of-the-mill family sedan need with the function? It's just a gimmick to make a slow car feel "sporty" and command a sproty price to go with it.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I the only "nice" auto-stick I've seen so far has been in the C6 vette. Everything else is kinda blah.

And honestly... what does your run-of-the-mill family sedan need with the function? It's just a gimmick to make a slow car feel "sporty" and command a sproty price to go with it.
I've always viewed that car as a sports sedan...besides I've seen a few of them burn stock cobalt ss/sc cars.

also I enjoyed the car, and I'm sure others do as well. The DSG in the new EVO, the GTi, and the new GT-R are for the sports car minded as well....all in one's opinion...I'm just making a point that auto's can be fun too and sporty....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts