Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you have seen this one, but its pretty interesting. Hopefully it hasn't been posted before.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/9845/cheap-speed-round-23.html

5th place: Ion Redline
4th place: Cobalt ss/sc
3rd place: srt4 acr
2nd place: wrx
1st place: rsx type s (interesting that this car placed first when it had the slowest 1/4 mile time and slowest 0-60)

I notice that this is dated sept 05, so maybe opinions have changed since then? I hope...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah I remember that I have that issue somewhere too. They are a bunch of idiots it was called Cheap Speed srt4 should have been the winner hands down doesn’t matter what the inside looks like because it was called cheap speed.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
the rsx s is about the same price compared to the balt
its built better inside and out
the engine has the same amount of power and has no forced induction
which this makes it a more reliable car

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted.... the rsx is in the same class, but is the only one of those 5 tested that is n/a. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I can tell why the Saturn lost. The gauges are nicely positioned so your shifter knob or back passengers can see them but not the driver. Seems like some sad attepted to create a interesting style. I've seen it on a few other cars like the Mini I believe.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
the rsx s is about the same price compared to the balt
its built better inside and out
the engine has the same amount of power and has no forced induction
which this makes it a more reliable car

This may not be 100% true, wait til we see some evidence of ss/sc's going over to 100k mile marker without major internal repair.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well I can tell why the Saturn lost. The gauges are nicely positioned so your shifter knob or back passengers can see them but not the driver. Seems like some sad attepted to create a interesting style. I've seen it on a few other cars like the Mini I believe.
My brother has a redline and really likes all the gauges there, I don't though I think it looks sort of weird but hey its not my car it's his.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Hey, this is a little off the topic at hand, but has anyone read the article in "Popular Hot Rodding" about the Saturn Sky? Article is themed "Skys the limit" Its a Turbocharged Ectoec that puts out 260 hp, this is the highest hp/cubic inch engine that GM has ever produced in a production based vehicle! If my calculations are not too far off, that would mean ~2.14 hp per cubic inch! Even the 2002 SS Camaro only has ~0.9 hp/cid, but the torque is what wins that car over.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, this is a little off the topic at hand, but has anyone read the article in "Popular Hot Rodding" about the Saturn Sky? Article is themed "Skys the limit" Its a Turbocharged Ectoec that puts out 260 hp, this is the highest hp/cubic inch engine that GM has ever produced in a production based vehicle! If my calculations are not too far off, that would mean ~2.14 hp per cubic inch! Even the 2002 SS Camaro only has ~0.9 hp/cid, but the torque is what wins that car over.
To be honest, I really like the way the Sky looks, but I'm not too sure what to think about it yet, tho 260hp for that car is pretty good considering I'm sure you can pick one up for somewhere in the low $20K range.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
To be honest, I really like the way the Sky looks, but I'm not too sure what to think about it yet, tho 260hp for that car is pretty good considering I'm sure you can pick one up for somewhere in the low $20K range.
Im figuring low 18k for base model, 25k for turbo model.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
[/B]

This may not be 100% true, wait til we see some evidence of ss/sc's going over to 100k mile marker without major internal repair.
anything w/ forced induction takes a beating,
the supercharger helps in that category
but honda has been making these vtec engines for a very long time now
and very few come around w/ a problem

even the head swaps arent a problem

·
Registered
272 Posts
Im figuring low 18k for base model, 25k for turbo model.
Base price for the sky is more towards the low 20K redline is closer to 30K

Have u even sat in an Ion Redline. The Guage pod is facing the Driver not the back seat.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ummm....but just vtec isn't really forced induction...so that doesn't make sense:confused:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
the supercharger helps in that category
But a forced induction car whether it be turbo or supercharged is going to have a lower compression ratio than that of a naturally aspirated engine. Take this into consideration: A forced induction cars engine prefers a compression ratio of ~8.5:1 compared to a nat. aspirated which can be as high as 11:1-13:1 on a pump gas engine. Although the sc/ turbo engine pumps more air into the cylinder, it will only raise the comp ratio slightly higer than that of a naturally aspirated car.
Just think of a diesel engine, a naturally aspirated one (ex. 1980 GMC truck) can run as high as 24:1 comp ratio!:eek: Thats like putting a 24 pack into one can! And then put on top of that a turbo such as in a ford powerstroke, or duramax. And look how long these suckers have been holding up!
Im not wanting to pick anything with you jon, since I know your a slack ass anyways! LOL:p :D :D :D :p Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, maybe my brain is thinking too hard!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Base price for the sky is more towards the low 20K redline is closer to 30K

Have u even sat in an Ion Redline. The Guage pod is facing the Driver not the back seat.

Agreed about the sky. Also, I have a friend with the Ion Redline, and I don't like the setup at all with the gauges in the center like that. It's like telling people to take their eyes off the road to look at something. not a very good design in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Agreed about the sky. Also, I have a friend with the Ion Redline, and I don't like the setup at all with the gauges in the center like that. It's like telling people to take their eyes off the road to look at something. not a very good design in my opinion.
i've driven my friends redline and looking from the road to the guage cluster is a lot better than looking down. you only have to dart your eyes to the side a bit to see the gueage pod instead of completely taking your eyes off the road to look down at the cluster.

people fear what they do not understand.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i also believe that giving the 1st place in a comparo entitled cheap speed to one of the more expensive cars that is slowest of all is completely irrational.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i also believe that giving the 1st place in a comparo entitled cheap speed to one of the more expensive cars that is slowest of all is completely irrational.
True. I remember reading about this. It's rather ironic that the RSX-S (slowest) won a comparo based on cheap speed, when really, the article (from what I remember) covered the interior of the car and what not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts