Cobalts SS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was working on my friends 94 caviler and we had to to replace the battery to get the motor to start. but once we got it started unless you kept giving the motor gas it shut off. so would i be correct with my guess that he needs a new alternator?

·
Registered
174 Posts
ok so i was working on my friends 94 caviler and we had to to replace the battery to get the motor to start. but once we got it started unless you kept giving the motor gas it shut off. so would i be correct with my guess that he needs a new alternator?
That could be it...more info would be nice because it could be a load of things. Does it sputter when its about to die.?? Is the exhaust flow sufficient, meaning Does he have a plugged cat? etc etc....Just take the old alternator to Autozone/O'Reilly's and have them test it for free.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
switch the car on and off a couple times to reset the idle air control valve. Dont fire it up or spin the motor over, just switch on and off about 5-6 times, then let it sit for about 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
you can test the alternator with a DVOM and see if it is charging between 13.8 to 14.0 volts if it is then most likely it is not the alternator
if you just changed the battery the car will run until it gets under 10 volts
which with a new battery that seems as it will not do that.
test it first (alternator) before going on to something else

1 - 7 of 7 Posts