Cobalts SS banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not getting a lotta love on the .net site lol so I figured I ask here...I've had my K&N typhoon since september and before I put my exhaust on in february I got one lean code. I've had the exhaust for a month now and got the code 3 times! Would exhaust make a car run leaner or is since more air flows out then the intake can suck more air in and the MAF sensor is confused even more? Also, is the code set by actual conditions in the engine or what is being read by the MAF? Lastly, everytime I get the code I just erase it with my scanner and wait for it again. Should I wait for it to go out on it's own and perhaps "learn" what's going on?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I get a cel w/ my redline when I leave it idoling for like 45 min or longer. I have the K&N typhoon CAI. usually after a couple hours its gone

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nukem said:
I get a cel w/ my redline when I leave it idoling for like 45 min or longer. I have the K&N typhoon CAI. usually after a couple hours its gone
Does it come back on? Mine also only comes on when my RPMs are slightly below 2k

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have the K&N and exhaust, and i used to have the code once, then i got my exhaust and how i have it 2 times, but i dont think it is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CobaltGuy said:
I have the K&N and exhaust, and i used to have the code once, then i got my exhaust and how i have it 2 times, but i dont think it is anything to worry about.
I hope you're right. I'm heading to get my car dynoed friday so I'll know then how everything is. This being my first F/I car, what kinda A/F ratio should I be expecting?

·
Registered
272 Posts
dervin3 said:
Does it come back on? Mine also only comes on when my RPMs are slightly below 2k
only happens when I have let the car idle for a while, like warming the car up in the morning usually anything longer than 30 min

·
Registered
120 Posts
Since I'm new too all the mods and such I'll dare to ask a rather stupid question.....

I've noticed alot that when seeing these airbox kits added, that the MAF sensor is drilled and put back in. Is that why the codes are being tripped? I would assume that is rather important where that is located to get the right reading. Not saying that it IS the problem... I'm asking if that's a possibility. I've never added anything to any of my cars before.
I've gotten the impression that this K&N Typhoon item is the entire airbox and plumbing, not just a drop in filter in the stock airbox???

Also I noticed the codes don't seem to be coming up on people that have only done exhuast.. is that correct?

I'm planning on adding the K&N drop in filter, and then the GMPP Sport ( or touring ) exhuast. If I'm going to be getting codes popping up all the time, I'll keep the car stock.

Just curious. Still learning this end of the market. I've had trucks and V8 cars all my life.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
with the intakes there is already a spot pre fabricated in the tube. It's a perfect fit...and yes it's plumbing and filter. Just don't be like me and after(if you get the P0171) you get a CEL drive it super super easy because that will just throw it more often. I'm not saying to dog it alot but if you keep the rpms under 2k for an extended amount of time, IT WILL THROW A CEL.

·
Registered
120 Posts
dervin3 said:
with the intakes there is already a spot pre fabricated in the tube. It's a perfect fit...and yes it's plumbing and filter. Just don't be like me and after(if you get the P0171) you get a CEL drive it super super easy because that will just throw it more often. I'm not saying to dog it alot but if you keep the rpms under 2k for an extended amount of time, IT WILL THROW A CEL.
Is the P0171 the Typhoon kit, or the drop in filter? I guess I could always run the part # thru K&N, but I guess I'm getting lazy.

Thanks for the info.
This is one of the many reasons these forums are great.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah the Typhoon kit, and P0171 isn't a part number, sorry for the confusion.
P0171 is the DTC meaning System too lean(Bank1)

·
Registered
120 Posts
dervin3 said:
yeah the Typhoon kit, and P0171 isn't a part number, sorry for the confusion.
P0171 is the DTC meaning System too lean(Bank1)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That explains why K&N's site didn't have a part listed under that PN...

Thanks. Thought I was going nutty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well on my Cobalt SS when I got my Injen cai on my car ran real lean the 2nd day so lean the pipe right off the exhaust mani got red hot and my car started to die it cooled off I reset the battery again and never happened but I did notice that some time it would run better than others like if I drove for a long time it would run great but if I just started it and let it idle or if I sit for a bit to chat or go in some where and come out the it wouldn't run quite as good. I went last friday me and my friend with same mods his is just silver and stoped at Advanced and got the NGK iridium ix plugs and installed em right then.... So far noticed way better throttle response improved acceration though out and no lean codes at all now so they done the trick and everything runs perfect all the time no matter what. I went on a 2 hour trip sunday to Car Wars at the local track with some friends and we ran the dogg shit out of our cars the whole way done pass each other and it never missed a beat. Next Mod is Stage 3 clutch before this one goes out I have 15000 miles so far and no probs out of the car now at all Except the every now and then brake light and the very rare Low Coolant??? still don't get that but oh well it still runs great. Video of the track will be on street fire soon I'll post a link.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stage_ten_racing said:
Well on my Cobalt SS when I got my Injen cai on my car ran real lean the 2nd day so lean the pipe right off the exhaust mani got red hot and my car started to die it cooled off I reset the battery again and never happened but I did notice that some time it would run better than others like if I drove for a long time it would run great but if I just started it and let it idle or if I sit for a bit to chat or go in some where and come out the it wouldn't run quite as good. I went last friday me and my friend with same mods his is just silver and stoped at Advanced and got the NGK iridium ix plugs and installed em right then.... So far noticed way better throttle response improved acceration though out and no lean codes at all now so they done the trick and everything runs perfect all the time no matter what. I went on a 2 hour trip sunday to Car Wars at the local track with some friends and we ran the dogg shit out of our cars the whole way done pass each other and it never missed a beat. Next Mod is Stage 3 clutch before this one goes out I have 15000 miles so far and no probs out of the car now at all Except the every now and then brake light and the very rare Low Coolant??? still don't get that but oh well it still runs great. Video of the track will be on street fire soon I'll post a link.
yeah after I installed my NGK BKR6EIX iridium plugs, my car has been way smoother also. It was 14 degrees after work last night and that thing fired up like it was already at perfect running temps and it doesn't jump around at initial startup like it did when it was cold and like you said perfect throttle response! I'm loving Iridium :D
Edit: Forgot to mention NO CEL :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts