Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
More inportantly, it is an air/air intercooler, which are rarely used in supercharged applications. The air/water (some thing as what is in the S/C driveline) is way more efficent in my experience

·
Registered
118 Posts
ok, you guys are idiots. the cobalt ss uses the same intercooler as was on that car!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
fleckenwhat said:
ok, you guys are idiots. the cobalt ss uses the same intercooler as was on that car!

really? i better take mine back to the dealer and get a refund then because my aftercooler doesn't have 2"+ sized hoses out the sides of it lol. you'd need a 500gph pump to pump coolant through that thing effeciently :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
16sy16 said:
More inportantly, it is an air/air intercooler, which are rarely used in supercharged applications. The air/water (some thing as what is in the S/C driveline) is way more efficent in my experience
Procharger superchargers use air to air intercoolers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes, but we are talking about roots, not syntrifical (sp?).

Technically, all turbo/supercharged vehicles that use somesort of cooling device use aftercoolers. Aftercooler means cooling after being heated (turbo/supercharger). The term intercooler comes from when they used twin turbo's INLINE on airplanes, and they had and intercooler (inter = between) the turbos, and then and aftercooler after the second one.

So, unless you are running a turbo (or super) routed to an intercooler, routed to another turbo (or super), you have an aftercooler, and not an intercooler.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
16sy16 said:
Yes, but we are talking about roots, not syntrifical (sp?).

Technically, all turbo/supercharged vehicles that use somesort of cooling device use aftercoolers. Aftercooler means cooling after being heated (turbo/supercharger). The term intercooler comes from when they used twin turbo's INLINE on airplanes, and they had and intercooler (inter = between) the turbos, and then and aftercooler after the second one.

So, unless you are running a turbo (or super) routed to an intercooler, routed to another turbo (or super), you have an aftercooler, and not an intercooler.
Centrifugal ;) . And I already tried to explain the difference between an aftercooler and intercooler to these guys, most didn't get it. It is widely accepted now that all cooling devices on boosted cars are now called intercoolers. Pretty dumb or lazy in my oppinion. ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
wasey13 said:
Centrifugal ;) . And I already tried to explain the difference between an aftercooler and intercooler to these guys, most didn't get it. It is widely accepted now that all cooling devices on boosted cars are now called intercoolers. Pretty dumb or lazy in my oppinion. ;)
Yeah, yeah, whatever :p . Using the term intercooler is like everybody using windows instead of Unix, or even Mac. The crowd follows, I guess

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
16sy16 said:
Yeah, yeah, whatever :p . Using the term intercooler is like everybody using windows instead of Unix, or even Mac. The crowd follows, I guess
Yeah, I know. I was agreeing with you. I don't know why people are too lazy to learn and say the difference between inner and aftercooler. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
431 Posts
wasey13 said:
Yeah, I know. I was agreeing with you. I don't know why people are too lazy to learn and say the difference between inner and aftercooler. :rolleyes:
I still call it an intercooler. I'm too lazy to try to explain to everybody what the intercooler/aftercooler difference is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The old Ford Thunderbird SC used an air-to-air IC with a roots SC, but that setup is not very common.

The vette is obviously an aftermarket setup from Lingenfelter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts