Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hmmm...still waiting for someone over here to get one through AAFES so we can video that sucker at top end. There's been posts on this already, just search. Some "claim" 155mph, most say 145mph.
Go try it out today! :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Spanky said:
i got up to 145 with that tach at 5300 so i am not sure how much more i could have gone.
Same here on the way back from Baton Rouge this weekend (hooray for boon-dock country straight aways!). 145-150ish was about as far as she was willing to go.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
YellowCap said:
Hello everybody,

Does anyone know the maximum speed of SS?

Thanks!

this is in the wrong category, but i have had my cobalt up to 155mph that is with my water injection running, and i shut down cause i was coming up on traffic. i don't see the car going much faster than that, i would say 160 at absolute most.. but again i am running water injection, so i'm not sure what it will run bone stock. i tried to go get video of it running that fast a few weeks back but i got pulled over when i came off th eoff ramp at 80mph..luckily he pulled me over before i actually started going.

i will get video of it @ over 150mph soon, but i am still trying to work out the logistical difficulties atm, i just need some time

wish i was back in germany for a few days, then it would be no problem for me to do so lol

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
well at 80 mph the tach is just about 3250 rpm in fifth, so that means it would redline at 160, but yeah you figure it out, i already got my speeding ticket

·
Banned
65 Posts
selfinfliction said:
this is in the wrong category, but i have had my cobalt up to 155mph that is with my water injection running, and i shut down cause i was coming up on traffic. i don't see the car going much faster than that, i would say 160 at absolute most.. but again i am running water injection, so i'm not sure what it will run bone stock. i tried to go get video of it running that fast a few weeks back but i got pulled over when i came off th eoff ramp at 80mph..luckily he pulled me over before i actually started going.

i will get video of it @ over 150mph soon, but i am still trying to work out the logistical difficulties atm, i just need some time

wish i was back in germany for a few days, then it would be no problem for me to do so lol
Step 1 Find 3-5mile straight of smooth road, no cross traffic, out in the middle of no where, late at night, radar detector armed, balls in hand.

Step 2 Get the car up to temp, & put the gas pedal to 100% throttle, shift prior to redline. Row thru the gears, until you run out of gear, or max speed achieved. If you are affraid of looking at the speedo, then arm your gps and take it with you, it should show your max speed and average.

Thats the how to, I guess???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
DDogsrt461BLK said:
Step 1 Find 3-5mile straight of smooth road, no cross traffic, out in the middle of no where, late at night, radar detector armed, balls in hand.

Step 2 Get the car up to temp, & put the gas pedal to 100% throttle, shift prior to redline. Row thru the gears, until you run out of gear, or max speed achieved. If you are affraid of looking at the speedo, then arm your gps and take it with you, it should show your max speed and average.

lol... i am adding a few extra steps this time

two friends with radar detectors and walkie talkies on each end of the plotted territory: one on the exit i will be driving past and one at the end of the area i will be running to...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had mine at 150 on the tach but i noticed when i look at thoses radar guns the cops put out in the street there always 3 or 4 MPH off the speed im actually doing so don't know if i way really doing 150 or closer to 145

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here's how to do it:

Step 1: Move to Germany and don't worry about the cops pulling you over for speeding on autobahns that have no speed limits.

Step 2: Go home and drink fine German beer.

Step 3: Bang girlfriend.

Repeat as often as necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My base cobalt 5sp shuts off at 105. SO GAY GAY GAY. Can't even use 5th gear when you're screaming, hits 105 in 4th and shuts off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
TimDang said:
My base cobalt 5sp shuts off at 105. SO GAY GAY GAY. Can't even use 5th gear when you're screaming, hits 105 in 4th and shuts off.
That's so you don't DIE DIE DIE by exceeding the max speed limit of the base Balts rubber.
WOT

·
Registered
85 Posts
you all have it wrong...this thang has no top speed it just keeps goin and goin...hahahaha

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have gone over the 140mhp spedo. Probably about 144 or 145.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WopOnTour said:
That's so you don't DIE DIE DIE by exceeding the max speed limit of the base Balts rubber.
WOT
Now thats just funny that you would think that! Why would GM spend the money to put in a speed govenor due to tires? They had that govenor in place LONG before they ever decided which tires it would roll off the assemboly line with!

·
Registered
106 Posts
On a flat piece of high way i had mine at 140 with my foot down to the floor and she would go any faster. It was wired because on my old car you could feel the govenor kick in, but on mine i couldn't feel it, the only reason i knew i wasn't speeding up was the speedo.

·
Registered
162 Posts
slowbalt said:
Now thats just funny that you would think that! Why would GM spend the money to put in a speed govenor due to tires? They had that govenor in place LONG before they ever decided which tires it would roll off the assemboly line with!
Governers are used first to keep the car under the speed rating of the tires. GM decided long ago what speed rating of tire to use, even if they had not settled on a manufacturer. Second reason is for driveshaft critical speed. Not really that important for a front-driver as the shafts are so short, but a rear drive car's shaft can tear itself apart due to minor imbalance above that speed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts