Cobalts SS banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cobalt on Constraint-GM says

According to two dealers I visited today, certain sections of the GM pricing system they use were not able to give prices because GM is reinvoicing the Cobalts, along with another vehicle.

Update:

I was just at another dealer today, and they said that GM has them on constraint, and their repricing them(didn't know if it would higher/lower) Also they said that GM may be having supply problems with some of the "sporty" parts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
techman01 said:
According to two dealers I visited today, certain sections of the GM pricing system they use were not able to give prices because GM is reinvoicing the Cobalts, along with another vehicle.

My dealer told me they could not give me an exact price too, but it was because they might be going DOWN, they re-invoiced the Trailblazer to $2,000 cheaper. My dealer said it was because the market is down right now and they need to sell cars.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got my '05 Ion Redline for $18,000 before finance. Beat the hell outta them on the price guys, they should break pretty easy if you say you have to go think about it some. I told the Saturn guys I was gonna have to go look at the new Mustang and the SRT-4, they called me in 2 hours with almost $6,000 knocked off the price of the car. GM really wants to sell these things fast!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just at another dealer today, and they said that GM has them on constraint, and their repricing them(didn't know if it would higher/lower) Also they said that GM may be having supply problems with some of the "sporty" parts.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What is/was the price point listed now? My Redline was listed at $23,995.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hot Sauce said:
$21,430 before additional options.
If this info is accurate and true, then would this mean that the Cobalt will not be able to take the title away from the SRT as the Best Bang for the Buck?? Now that it cost more the the SRT itself?? I thought that the reason why it might be able to take that title was because the RL and SS was 15 G's or so??

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
CD'srt said:
If this info is accurate and true, then would this mean that the Cobalt will not be able to take the title away from the SRT as the Best Bang for the Buck?? Now that it cost more the the SRT itself?? I thought that the reason why it might be able to take that title was because the RL and SS was 15 G's or so??
no way in hell would they retail NEW for 15k

·
Registered
454 Posts
CD'srt said:
When it comes to debating price points on new cars, you have to go with the sticker prices. The sticker on the SRT's is not exactly low, I went and looked at the one right next door to Saturn and they wanted over $26,000 for the one I looked at. I'm sure that I could have beat them down some, but I doubt that I could have gotten $8,000 off the sticker price to make it the same price as the Redline. I know that the sticker prices are about the same, but Dodge has already upped the price on em here in Chicago.

The one that I just got done building on the Dodge site was $23,000 and I'm still looking for features like 4 power widows (what the hell is that about? only power in the front??), mp3, the Recaro seats, etc, etc. So there is the LSD on the SRT, but that comes on the Redline and Cobalt as well, once available. All in all the cars are pretty damn close, yes the horsepower edge goes to the Neon. Yes I called it a Neon, suck it up, thats what it is. The handling edge goes to the Redline and the Cobalt according to most sources I've seen, other than SRT-4 owners. The brakes are better on the Redline as tested by Car and Driver, came in just short of the Gallardo, so if the Cobalt's larger wheels don't hamper the brakes too much it will stop better too.

Bottom line, the 3 best cars, in terms of bang for your buck, are basically a new Neon, a new Cavilier, and a new Saturn POS. I don't know about you guys, but that really brings a smile to my face. Talk about sleepers. We should all roll to events under the banner of 'Former American 4-Banger Jokes Here to Make Your Import Look Like Shit'. I'm not sure why alot of the magazines haven't figured out that Detroit has turned the corner, but they should open their eyes...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sp00ner said:
When it comes to debating price points on new cars, you have to go with the sticker prices. The sticker on the SRT's is not exactly low, I went and looked at the one right next door to Saturn and they wanted over $26,000 for the one I looked at. I'm sure that I could have beat them down some, but I doubt that I could have gotten $8,000 off the sticker price to make it the same price as the Redline. I know that the sticker prices are about the same, but Dodge has already upped the price on em here in Chicago.

The one that I just got done building on the Dodge site was $23,000 and I'm still looking for features like 4 power widows (what the hell is that about? only power in the front??), mp3, the Recaro seats, etc, etc. So there is the LSD on the SRT, but that comes on the Redline and Cobalt as well, once available. All in all the cars are pretty damn close, yes the horsepower edge goes to the Neon. Yes I called it a Neon, suck it up, thats what it is. The handling edge goes to the Redline and the Cobalt according to most sources I've seen, other than SRT-4 owners. The brakes are better on the Redline as tested by Car and Driver, came in just short of the Gallardo, so if the Cobalt's larger wheels don't hamper the brakes too much it will stop better too.

Bottom line, the 3 best cars, in terms of bang for your buck, are basically a new Neon, a new Cavilier, and a new Saturn POS. I don't know about you guys, but that really brings a smile to my face. Talk about sleepers. We should all roll to events under the banner of 'Former American 4-Banger Jokes Here to Make Your Import Look Like Shit'. I'm not sure why alot of the magazines haven't figured out that Detroit has turned the corner, but they should open their eyes...
Well you can't compare the dealer mark up price to what the car was originally worth. In this case, I still see sticker price for the SRT at the dealer for 21 G's. But if you saw a price of an SRT with the price of 26 G's, then you might have seen the ARC SRT. In that case, I would highly doubt that handling or braking would go to the RL or SS. Since the ARC SRT has stage 3 suspension stock. But I'll let the rest of the guys shine in about the ARC SRT. Other then that, the price that I'm still seeing at the dealer is 21 G's. Oh yeah, and yes, it is still a neon. I have no problem with that, just makes me laugh more when I can say that you got beat by a neon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hot Sauce said:
My dealer told me they could not give me an exact price too, but it was because they might be going DOWN, they re-invoiced the Trailblazer to $2,000 cheaper. My dealer said it was because the market is down right now and they need to sell cars.

I build the TrailBlazers and we are getting laid off March 6-12

:( :( :( :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey, if dealer mark up is the price I have to start haggling at, then that's the price that I have to pay. Just like when the S2000 came out, people were marking them up $10,000 around here. It wasn't the ACR, just a standard one. I didn't see any of the ACR's, this was around January 10th. I know that the MSRP is the same at $21k for both cars, but from what I've seen, you're gonna be lucky to get the Dodge for $21k, and you can get the Ion for, in my case, $3,000 less than $21k. I don't know if I could have got the Neon down to $18,000 before financing, it sure as hell didn't seem like it, and no one called me to say 'Hey, we can get that price down, come back in'. Of course, I had no intention of really coming back, they didn't know that though. Now if we go back to the 'Bang for the Buck' theory, the two cars are incredibly close, no matter how you look at it. The Neon sure as hell is faster in a straight-away, Car and Driver showed that clearly. When you're working with 6" rims though, and it's still the Neon body and chassis, you have to admit some handling issues. I know the skidpad numbers are close, but we all know that skidpads are not really great indicators of much beyond tire grip. Car and Driver made a real point about how well the Redline handled compared to the SRT. Both great cars, gotta be pround to drive the American Pocket Rockets again, it's the first salvo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts