Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the Cobalt block? I've heard rumors stating it is a Honda motor. Is this true?

I know Honda and GM have a little partnership going on, some of the newer Hondas are/will be On-Star equipped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
JDMCivic said:
Opel eh?

What is the Ion Redline packing? Maybe that was the Honda. Or maybe I'm way off...

Thanks tho.
Redline has the same engine as the cobalt SS/SC the 2.0 Ecotec which is from opel as stated above. Saturn uses the Honda 3.5L V6 in the Redline VUE and the normal V6 and AWD V6. It was a partnership to exchange disel engines from ISUZU to honda for the 250HP 3.5L. A bunch of people think the Ecotec is a Honda engine when its not. Ive even caught dealerships saying that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
JDMCivic said:
Opel eh?

What is the Ion Redline packing? Maybe that was the Honda. Or maybe I'm way off...

Thanks tho.
Trust me, there's no Honda garbage under the hood of my car... it makes 200lbs of torque... at like 4,500 rpms... not a Honda...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sp00ner said:
Trust me, there's no Honda garbage under the hood of my car... it makes 200lbs of torque... at like 4,500 rpms... not a Honda...
I wouldn't call Honda garbage. They make some of the most durable, reliable blocks. They are among the sport compact elite that can produce 100bhp per liter NA, and they have several blocks doing so; b16a, b16b, b18c, k20a, f20...

Does anyone know what engine is in the aforementioned Honda equipped vehicles?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
That's very nice... I'll tell that the the multitude of blue smoke burning Civics that I pass on my way home. In answer to your question, without me being a dick this time, is NO. Only the Vue V6 is from Honda, it's actually the reason that I didn't buy the car. Great motor, but I hate Hondas. Nothing you can say about it, nothing you can argue about. Just don't like 'em, mainly due to the ass-monkeys that drive them around here. Not all of em, but most of 'em. I can appreciate things like the S2000 and the RSX-S, but you're paying for alot more than I care about. I put put over 100hp/L and do so MUCH cheaper then either of those two Hondas, and lets be honest, the first thing every kid wants for their Honda is a turbo...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sp00ner said:
That's very nice... I'll tell that the the multitude of blue smoke burning Civics that I pass on my way home. In answer to your question, without me being a dick this time, is NO. Only the Vue V6 is from Honda, it's actually the reason that I didn't buy the car. Great motor, but I hate Hondas. Nothing you can say about it, nothing you can argue about. Just don't like 'em, mainly due to the ass-monkeys that drive them around here. Not all of em, but most of 'em. I can appreciate things like the S2000 and the RSX-S, but you're paying for alot more than I care about. I put put over 100hp/L and do so MUCH cheaper then either of those two Hondas, and lets be honest, the first thing every kid wants for their Honda is a turbo...

You are a typical fanboy. What can't you respect all cars. Dislike the drivers not the car.

I ask a simple question and you respond with a 'no'. That in no way helps me.

Also, I said Hondas are among the elite that can produce 100bhp/L NA.

Does anyone know the answer to my previous question?

EDIT: The RSX Type S is a nice car but it is overrated. I much prefer the Integra GSR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xtremegrandam said:
Redline has the same engine as the cobalt SS/SC the 2.0 Ecotec which is from opel as stated above. Saturn uses the Honda 3.5L V6 in the Redline VUE and the normal V6 and AWD V6. It was a partnership to exchange disel engines from ISUZU to honda for the 250HP 3.5L. A bunch of people think the Ecotec is a Honda engine when its not. Ive even caught dealerships saying that.
Thank you, BTW. Much appreciated. Do you happen to know the codes for those blocks? It doesn't really matter, I was just wondering if they're typical Honda engines or specialty blocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
The Vue Redline has a transverse mounted 3.5 liter honda V6 that makes 250 ponies. The regular Vue V6 AWD has a 3.0 liter that was also longitudly mounted in the rear drive caddy catera. Both engines are the same Opel V6.
And yes. Hondas are trash. So are the obnoxious little mufflers, or fart cans which make the car louder, not faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JorDuPre said:
The Vue Redline has a transverse mounted 3.5 liter honda V6 that makes 250 ponies. The regular Vue V6 AWD has a 3.0 liter that was also longitudly mounted in the rear drive caddy catera. Both engines are the same Opel V6.
I understand that. I am asking for the ENGINE CODE.

JorDuPre said:
And yes. Hondas are trash. So are the obnoxious little mufflers, or fart cans which make the car louder, not faster.
All Hondas are trash? Tell that to the S2000 and NSX owners. FYI, I've seen far too many Chevrolets with canister exhausts.

Why the fuck are some of you guys so ignorant. Open your eyes. Honda drivers are doing the same thing your are, it's called tuning.

It seems as if asking questions on this forum can be easily compared to the adage of the monkey fucking a football. It is an exercise in futility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Code on what engine? Are you talking about the Vue's engine?

Also I think that the Ecotec Engines for North American sold cars are made at Saturn plants in Spring Hill, TN or atleast the 2.4L Ecotec


Honda Engines are good engines. I just perfer the Tourqier Domestic engines.
I can care less about the High Reving high hp with less tourqe engines like you get from Honda.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
i'm pretty sure hes talking about the name. aka the cobalt has the 2.0sc ecotec, and the rsx type-s has the k20a2, and the civic si(r) has the k20a3...so in other words, what handa engine is this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tecmec said:
i'm pretty sure hes talking about the name. aka the cobalt has the 2.0sc ecotec, and the rsx type-s has the k20a2, and the civic si(r) has the k20a3...so in other words, what handa engine is this?
Yes. Exactly.

Basicially, I just want to klnow if Honda sent Saturn existing engines or if they started the engines from scratch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
JDMCivic said:
Thank you, BTW. Much appreciated. Do you happen to know the codes for those blocks? It doesn't really matter, I was just wondering if they're typical Honda engines or specialty blocks.
Your welcome. I actually dont know the codes on the new engines. I know the standard Ecotec engine code is L61 because its in my grand am.The 3.5L engine isnt special its that same one Honda used in their other vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
JorDuPre said:
The Vue Redline has a transverse mounted 3.5 liter honda V6 that makes 250 ponies. The regular Vue V6 AWD has a 3.0 liter that was also longitudly mounted in the rear drive caddy catera. Both engines are the same Opel V6.
And yes. Hondas are trash. So are the obnoxious little mufflers, or fart cans which make the car louder, not faster.
Thats not correct. My aunt has a 2005 AWD V6 VUE and it has the 3.5L engine. The 3.0L was discontinued in the VUE in 2004. The L300 saturn still uses it but not the VUE since 2003. The VUE only uses the L61 Ecotec and the 3.5L SOHC honda engine now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
JDMCivic said:
You are a typical fanboy. What can't you respect all cars. Dislike the drivers not the car.

I ask a simple question and you respond with a 'no'. That in no way helps me.

Also, I said Hondas are among the elite that can produce 100bhp/L NA.

Does anyone know the answer to my previous question?

EDIT: The RSX Type S is a nice car but it is overrated. I much prefer the Integra GSR.
You call me a fan boy, and then, in typical HondaFanBoy fashion, you start spewing out HP/L numbers... Good call..
 
1 - 20 of 223 Posts
Top