Cobalts SS banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick appreciation of the Cobalt SS I raced the other day with my 99 GTP. I talked to the owner last night and he was impressed with my car's ability to beat him, but I was impressed with the Cobalt SS' overall performance against me. A stock GTP or mildly modded GS/GTP will not be able to handle your Cobalt SS at the track. My car is, of course, not stock and does a number on most vehicles on the road so it was no surpise that I was able to walk away from the Cobalt, but if I had met up with the Cobalt SS a year or two ago, the results would have been different.

I will be helping this local Cobalt SS to achieve his goals at the track and I look forward to reading up on the car and investing some time under the hood. With luck, we should be able to get his red SS to embarrass most local cars and run solid mid 13's at the track with some prep and keep daily driveability and drivetrain longevity. I have been modifying the L67 (series 2 3800 SC) engines now since 1999 and believe that a few of the tricks and ideas will work for you as well.

Good luck to all the SS owners and you have purchased one great looking car in my opinion!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
I sold my stock '98 GTP after I bought my SS. The handling on the SS is a huge improvement over the GTP's, doesn't even feel like a fwd most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mken said:
I sold my stock '98 GTP after I bought my SS. The handling on the SS is a huge improvement over the GTP's, doesn't even feel like a fwd most of the time.
I was looking for an SS at three dealers two weeks ago, but they didn't have any. I would trade in my modded GTP for one as well. I personally like the looks of the Cobalt SS better than any new GM, Ford, or Dodge out there. I've driven three SRT-4's recently, and love them, but the looks of the Chevy makes my choice easier.

My Regal GS uses an INTENSE LSD to keep it from "feeling" like a FWD. I guess I'll keep that car for my grocery needs... and for taking down that occasional Mustang GT or Camaro at the track! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,648 Posts
You have TWO L67s!! I think those are nice engines!! But if I had a chpoice I would LOVE to have a new GP GXP!!! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Elk County GS said:
Just a quick appreciation of the Cobalt SS I raced the other day with my 99 GTP. I talked to the owner last night and he was impressed with my car's ability to beat him, but I was impressed with the Cobalt SS' overall performance against me. A stock GTP or mildly modded GS/GTP will not be able to handle your Cobalt SS at the track. My car is, of course, not stock and does a number on most vehicles on the road so it was no surpise that I was able to walk away from the Cobalt, but if I had met up with the Cobalt SS a year or two ago, the results would have been different.

I will be helping this local Cobalt SS to achieve his goals at the track and I look forward to reading up on the car and investing some time under the hood. With luck, we should be able to get his red SS to embarrass most local cars and run solid mid 13's at the track with some prep and keep daily driveability and drivetrain longevity. I have been modifying the L67 (series 2 3800 SC) engines now since 1999 and believe that a few of the tricks and ideas will work for you as well.

Good luck to all the SS owners and you have purchased one great looking car in my opinion!
Hey buddy! Welcome to the club! I'm helping my friend get his SS in the 13s and hopefully that will be this week. We've got a pulley on the way, and the juice is in the fridge ;) I'm new to the tuning aspect of FI, but have considerable nitrous experience. I could use a few pointers on these Eaton blowers. The LSJ is an awesome motor. Very very high tech. Do you have any supercharger porting knowledge? Also what about an icebox like the SC Cobras run? Do you GTP guys run something similiar? We need to hook up :) It's going to be fun beating up on those damn cocky V8 drivers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CoBIZZLE said:
You have TWO L67s!! I think those are nice engines!! But if I had a chpoice I would LOVE to have a new GP GXP!!! :eek:
They are great engines. I have had them since 98 and they are still doing well. I also get to modify and work on several others in the area that belong to our racing club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
DarricksZ28 said:
It's going to be fun beating up on those damn cocky V8 drivers!
Not only the big V8s (which I am a huge fan of), but also those cocky import owners who think they're the coolest thing since air conditioning. I will respect the imports because they can be pretty fast. Those Japanese people know speed and they know it very well, but they have no clue when it comes to muscle. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Ahhh, an icebox..that would be a sweet mod! MAy be able to get an extra lb or tow of boost with stock pulley.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
XxGarbSxX said:
Not only the big V8s (which I am a huge fan of), but also those cocky import owners who think they're the coolest thing since air conditioning. I will respect the imports because they can be pretty fast. Those Japanese people know speed and they know it very well, but they have no clue when it comes to muscle. :D
Yea, those V8s are fun! My friend thinks he might have a chance against me with the pulley and juice. But he has to see the full potential of my nitrous inhaling LS1 :cool: . But I'm in the works of setting him up an exhaust only LS1 Firebird. I going to try to get 4 or 5 cars out of him with the hit. Hehe....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
svtfocus said:
Ahhh, an icebox..that would be a sweet mod! MAy be able to get an extra lb or tow of boost with stock pulley.
That's what I'm thinking! Get a cheap one out of Summit with the aluminum heat exchanger and work it into the IC lines. You guys have TONS of room under the hood of that car in comparison to most.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Elk County GS said:
That's what I'm thinking! Get a cheap one out of Summit with the aluminum heat exchanger and work it into the IC lines. You guys have TONS of room under the hood of that car in comparison to most.
We're going with the JAZ 1 gal cell in line with the intercooler. We're going to put a drain plug so we can add ice and drain excess water as needed. This will definitely benefit once we get the boost levels up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Hey noticed some Fbody guys... At least im not the only traitor!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top