Cobalts SS banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a cobalt SS/SC but I read there interals are only good to about roughly 300 horse. What about the interals of a SRT-4? How much horsepower can they had before they become unstable? Cause 300 is not alot of horse before I have to go in and change things internally. That might change my mind about buying a cobalt. Do you guys and gals understand where I'm coming from?

·
Registered
144 Posts
A COMPLETELY stock SRT-4 engine will hold around 500-550fwhp before it gives. There is a video of Steve Anderson's car floating around the net where he was at about 560fwhp when his engine blew making a pass down the track. I am not sure about Cobalts though, someone needs to push it to the limit to find out though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
blab10 said:
A COMPLETELY stock SRT-4 engine will hold around 500-550fwhp before it gives. There is a video of Steve Anderson's car floating around the net where he was at about 560fwhp when his engine blew making a pass down the track. I am not sure about Cobalts though, someone needs to push it to the limit to find out though.
If someone would sponsor me for a new crate motor and I had that new motor in my garage waiting for me I would be more than happy and increase HP till it blows :rolleyes: and hand over that blown motor so the could do a optopsy.
:)
One hundred cobalt drivers shell over $30 each may cover my expenses but I retain any performance parts that survive that I put in. :confused:

ANy takers for research sake.:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I"m talking about it sounds like it would be better for me to get an SRT-4, because it can handles alot more power without having to be torn apart. What is yalls opinion? I don't want something that after I put hundred horse into and then have to worry about it blowing up. Do get me wrong I love the Cobalt but now I'm in question. What is some of yall's opinion on this?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Once you replace the rods you can up it to 450 before needing to port the heads. The block itself is good to over 1000, along with the crank. The rods are the weak part at going around 300-320 or so, then the heads at 450 and I believe the pistons around 600...but thats all under PSI of course. There are some numbers floating around that GM did just to see what they could do, and the block and crank were never replaced (they stopped after 1000 HP).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Tiggerweed said:
That's what I"m talking about it sounds like it would be better for me to get an SRT-4, because it can handles alot more power without having to be torn apart. What is yalls opinion? I don't want something that after I put hundred horse into and then have to worry about it blowing up. Do get me wrong I love the Cobalt but now I'm in question. What is some of yall's opinion on this?
The 2.0 LSJ has all forged components except for the pistons themselves, we havent had enough available mods yet to see what it takes to blow a hole in one though. There is a twincharger kit coming out soon though that will cost less that the big turbo srt4 kit and run right with them. Its up to you wat you want but the ecotec is about to run with the big dogs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the ecotec is a good engine I have one in my wife's 03 Grand AM. I think its the only good thing on the car. I like the Cobalt SS/SC better for 2 reason it's styling, and cause a kid that lives around me has a SRT-4. He is always driving by my house revving his car. Because I have a freind with a 300zx na and the guy in the SRT-4 likes messing with him. So that right there makes me not want to get an SRT-4. But if I got one and beat him he would probably shut up. That's why I want the Cobalt more. Cause it would piss him off. Plus I just think the Cobalt is a beatiful car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah thanks for that info clevelander2002 it was helpful. But I would like to know what the forged steel rods can handle. The only thing about that article is they don't talk much about the 2.0 LSJ motor

·
Registered
155 Posts
The SRT-4 is definately proven to over 500 WHP on stock internals. And I have also heard the 300 hp numbers for the cobalt ss/sc and ION RL. Unfortunately for these cars twincharged is probably one of the few that have exceded the 300 hp mark. His car is still running. Also as far as that 300 hp number goes noone really knows that is just where GM tested the internals to. They could handle the same HP as the srt4. There just are not enogh supporting mods out there yet to get these cars to these levels. I know this isn't much help in decision making but rather my .02 worth.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Nocturn said:
Once you replace the rods you can up it to 450 before needing to port the heads. The block itself is good to over 1000, along with the crank. The rods are the weak part at going around 300-320 or so, then the heads at 450 and I believe the pistons around 600...but thats all under PSI of course. There are some numbers floating around that GM did just to see what they could do, and the block and crank were never replaced (they stopped after 1000 HP).
Your info is incorrect. who or where did you pick this up from. The rods are good for 600HP stock for sure. it is the 2.2L that need to be replaced for 250++HP.

THe stock block is not good for 1000 HP. After builiding up to 650HP you need the GMP block that has been reinforced and checked for small cracks that are not apparent to the naked eye. about $4,000 from GMP (give or take $500 see the GMP website.).

Stock head is good to 650hp the head gasket needs to be replaced with the performance head gasket and sealing rings (for the pistons) for over 400hp.

The pistons are the weak link - because they are cast not forged. performance pistons for the LSJ can be found at Weisco or from GMP. the piston pins need to be replaced for over 400 or 450HP (cant remember exactly).

Crank is correct but there is a crank available from GMP.

See the GMP web site for confirmation of this info. and look at the performance 4 part article for the ECOTEC LSJ to 300++hp and the compact performance handbook for the 2.2L. it this info you can comfirm my numbers and keep in mind I am going by memory so if I am off by 50hp for some of the numbers you will know why.

·
Registered
729 Posts
And I have also heard the 300 hp numbers for the cobalt ss/sc and ION RL. .
Same from GM. maybe they are over cautious but it does make sense due to the fact the pistons are cast.

Are the SRT-4 pistons cast or forged?

Unfortunately for these cars twincharged is probably one of the few that have exceded the 300 hp mark. His car is still running. Also as far as that 300 hp number goes noone really knows that is just where GM tested the internals to. They could handle the same HP as the srt4.
Well mods are there you just cant buy a kit and just bolt it on right now. not until someone like Hahn Racing decides to make a kit. Until then it requires an experienced tuner to get the job done.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ssnipes said:
Same from GM. maybe they are over cautious but it does make sense due to the fact the pistons are cast.

Are the SRT-4 pistons cast or forged?

Well mods are there you just cant buy a kit and just bolt it on right now. not until someone like Hahn Racing decides to make a kit. Until then it requires an experienced tuner to get the job done.
SRT pistons are cast :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys for all the information. It is really helpfully. I got that info from one of the forums I was reading. That's the reason why I ask. Cause like I said I really do want a Cobalt. I have been reading this web site for awhile now. Trying to get all the information I can on the cobalt. I'm plan on getting one as soon as I get my settlement from my accident. Once again thanks for all the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts